Author Topic: UAE HSV 2 Swift destroyed by Yemeni rebels  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: UAE HSV 2 Swift destroyed by Yemeni rebels
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 04:29:54 PM »
A missile would have been launch from land so they would prob not have known exactly when the missile was fired
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 04:47:19 PM »
A missile would have been launch from land so they would prob not have known exactly when the missile was fired

Given they were out there filming for it I would expect they would've been notified off the launch (as in "Ahmed are you filming man, we just fired it")

Offline Randall172

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »
That is a gnarly hole in that boat!

anti ship missiles are nothing to scoff at
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 04:59:17 PM by Randall172 »

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
Not the first time Yemenese terrorists/insurgents/whatever use small boats in suicide attacks. Remember USS Cole back in 2000. I also note that these people filming the attack on the Saudi frigate were chanting "death to America, death to Israel". That sounds like terrorists to me.

No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Oh and the crew of the USS Cole didn't see them coming either.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:34 PM »
Houtis are iranian backed rebels in Yemen and have been around since the 90s but afaik they have not made any attempts to take fight outside Yemen (USS cole was attacked by Al-Qaeda and not Houtis) and are obviously enemies to IS. They are more of a classic guerilla group than Al-quaida/IS terrorists and have been pretty successful in their fight against the Saudi intervention in Yemen recently.

''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 01:07:18 PM »
Saw that U.S intelligence said that it was a suicide boat so unless other evidence shows up it seems like that was what happen.
A massive failure for the Saudis, a boat should not be able to get that close to a combat ship at sea.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 01:11:41 PM »
One guy in a small boat is very difficult to detect before it is too late.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 01:14:42 PM »
True, but based on the poor combat performance of the Saudi armed forces in Yemen it would not be surprising if there was some degree of incompetence involved on the saudi ship. 

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
Houtis are iranian backed rebels in Yemen and have been around since the 90s but afaik they have not made any attempts to take fight outside Yemen (USS cole was attacked by Al-Qaeda and not Houtis) and are obviously enemies to IS. They are more of a classic guerilla group than Al-quaida/IS terrorists and have been pretty successful in their fight against the Saudi intervention in Yemen recently.

In this instance the US intelligence believes the terrorist thought it was a US ship.

The same folks are the ones who targeted our ships in the straights with rockets awhile back. Those were downed by our rockets and several radar sites destroyed on land by our rockets.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 01:48:21 PM »
I dont said that they were friend with the U.S. But targeting a military ship does not automatically makes you a terrorist, even if the ships are American. They are at war with mainly the Saudis and indirect U.S (since U.S is supporting the Saudis) so a war ship is a legitimate military target..
Im not saying that the Houtis are the good guys but they are still pretty far from IS and similar groups, they are more like for ex Vietcong.

Latest ive seen is that pentagon says that "We have no hard evidence to indicate that this attack was really focused on an American ship."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »
In this instance the US intelligence believes the terrorist thought it was a US ship.

The same folks are the ones who targeted our ships in the straights with rockets awhile back. Those were downed by our rockets and several radar sites destroyed on land by our rockets.

I was reading up on those missiles. They seem very mobile, as an fire and move off before return fire comes in.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
Yep, waterline hit would be a small boat. But In broad daylight?
Then the question becomes, didn't they set extra lookouts posted in hostile waters?
Holy smokes man, I'd say somebody is in some deep Sheet!  :rofl

I don't have a dog in that fight, no sympathy for either side.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:49:42 PM by OldNitro »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
Latest ive seen is that pentagon says that "We have no hard evidence to indicate that this attack was really focused on an American ship."

No hard evidence. All is based on the vocalizations in the video from what I understand.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 03:29:33 PM »
Yep, waterline hit would be a small boat. But In broad daylight?
Then the question becomes, didn't they set extra lookouts posted in hostile waters?
Holy smokes man, I'd say somebody is in some deep Sheet!  :rofl

I don't have a dog in that fight, no sympathy for either side.

Who knows what happened, heck they might have had sheep on the bow of the suicide boat and the other guys were like "COME ON OVER!"