Author Topic: UAE HSV 2 Swift destroyed by Yemeni rebels  (Read 2293 times)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
UAE HSV 2 Swift destroyed by Yemeni rebels
« on: October 01, 2016, 08:48:39 PM »
I understand this happened yesterday, over 100 crew members are dead/missing. :pray
Was hit by one of this cheap , made in China https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-802
https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/uae-warship-obliterated-off-coast-yemen/

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: UAE HSV 2 Swift destroyed by Yemeni rebels
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 05:17:58 AM »
Where did the Chinese get the  money to make these planes :old:

let's think? :old:

Are they the enemy or not I can't remember.

Why are they selling goods to the West if they are?

It's all a bit strange :old:

« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:19:55 AM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
The reports I've seen says 62 killed among the crew. Unclear if the ship have sunk or not but, UAE only says there have been an 'incident' but the video shows some pretty extensive damage so I've hard to Believe that the ship is reparable.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 05:53:56 AM »
The ship isnt sunk, it limped to port...Chinese anti ship missiles(or Iranian copies)the Houthi rebels are supported by Iran.  The after photos I have seen show some pretty good damage.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 09:10:57 AM »
Fate is still not confirmed but ship is said to be towed to Eritrea http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/03/us-warships-sent-to-area-where-iran-backed-rebels-attacked-saudi-led-coalition-ship.html

I doubt that they used “shoulder-fired rockets”, that missile was way too large for that..
From the video it seems like the ship is lost, it might be afloat but everything was burning...

The ship isnt sunk, it limped to port...Chinese anti ship missiles(or Iranian copies)the Houthi rebels are supported by Iran.  The after photos I have seen show some pretty good damage.

You have a link? havent found any pics from after the attack.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
You are right,  it's still floating towed, unbeliavable after the explosion in video;  photos posted on Twitter.
https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=+HSV+swift+

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 03:33:39 AM »
Heh, that hole left by the missile (if it is one, on the right bow) is no shoulder fired weapon, that's for sure.  Looks more along the size of the holes made in USS Stark and other ships hit by that size of anti ship weapons.  Pretty badly damaged, it's amazing what they can fix, but that is going to need a LOT of fixing. 

Besides, it was (and typically is) the fire that killed that ship, and fire is usually from the leftover fuel in a missile, something a shoulder fired rocket doesn't really have.  Seeing the video and how quickly that fired brewed up, I can't believe that an explosive would have set other combustible stuff about into such a raging fire so instantly as per the video - that was absolutely IMO from leftover fuel from a missile, again something a shoulder fired weapon like an RPG doesn't have, or at least not much of.  HMS Sheffield burned up and that missile's warhead didn't even detonate, just fuel. 

Plus, looking at the vid in slow motion, it was launched from some land based platform similar to what the land based Silkworm types look like, and other ASM land based platforms.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 03:40:31 AM by Gman »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2016, 08:33:49 AM »
Well I don't think 0.50 MGs are going to be much help against AShM's.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 08:50:11 AM »
Heh, that hole left by the missile (if it is one, on the right bow) is no shoulder fired weapon, that's for sure.  Looks more along the size of the holes made in USS Stark and other ships hit by that size of anti ship weapons.  Pretty badly damaged, it's amazing what they can fix, but that is going to need a LOT of fixing. 

Besides, it was (and typically is) the fire that killed that ship, and fire is usually from the leftover fuel in a missile, something a shoulder fired rocket doesn't really have.  Seeing the video and how quickly that fired brewed up, I can't believe that an explosive would have set other combustible stuff about into such a raging fire so instantly as per the video - that was absolutely IMO from leftover fuel from a missile, again something a shoulder fired weapon like an RPG doesn't have, or at least not much of.  HMS Sheffield burned up and that missile's warhead didn't even detonate, just fuel. 

Plus, looking at the vid in slow motion, it was launched from some land based platform similar to what the land based Silkworm types look like, and other ASM land based platforms.

I've been in a truck hit with an RPG, so I can promise you it wasn't one of those that hit the ship.  :aok
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »
I've been in a truck hit with an RPG, so I can promise you it wasn't one of those that hit the ship.  :aok

Glad you survived.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
Sounded like a tow missile.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »
Its made of alluminum, there is no way they can repair it without replacing pretty much everything.

It was not a tow either. It was for sure an anti Ship missile.
It has happen before in Lebanon.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2016, 11:42:06 AM »
Bigger than a tow missile but we've see tank turrets blown off by a tow.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2016, 01:05:15 PM »
Becsuse the ammo inside the turret explodes yes, the tow itself just leave a small hole in the tank.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 08:08:23 PM »
C-802 is an radar guided anti-ship missile with a 165Kg warhead.  Probably truck mounted as the entire missile weighs about 700Kg and is a bit over 6M long.   
I'd say this is what you get when a missile hits an unarmored warship and something inside explodes.