Author Topic: Game goes into windowed mode  (Read 1256 times)

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Game goes into windowed mode
« on: October 03, 2016, 02:47:45 PM »
After I get the game running, after about 30 seconds, the game will go into windowed mode and no longer be full screen. This is the first time this has happened. Only change is that I got a new monitor today.

DxDiag is attached if needed.

EDIT: After more testing, i can alt+tab back into the game and then it goes back to windowed view after 3 seconds or so. I can't move the window, as it still acts like its in full screen mode.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:06:57 PM by BowHTR »
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Game goes into windowed mode
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »
At a guess I would premise that the game is still trying to use your old monitor? Your DXdiag lists two monitors.

Maybe you can select the other display? Just thinking there may be some confusion between game and OS as to which monitor is the primary display.

So, where mine is asking to choose a video card it is also a display option.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »
At a guess I would premise that the game is still trying to use your old monitor? Your DXdiag lists two monitors.

Maybe you can select the other display? Just thinking there may be some confusion between game and OS as to which monitor is the primary display.

So, where mine is asking to choose a video card it is also a display option.

(Image removed from quote.)

That's what I was thinking as well. My old primary monitor is now my secondary monitor.  I made sure that the new monitor was set as primary display and also restarted the system. Trying a fresh install now to see if maybe that doesn't fix it. Will update after I try that.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 04:08:09 PM »
Well, you might have just deleted video.cfg, or something.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »
Or, go into the game settings and select the native resolution of the new monitor.  As that has been set, you either remove the "video8.cfg" file from the "settings" folder, or go into the game video settings and select the native resolution for the new monitor.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »
Or, go into the game settings and select the native resolution of the new monitor.  As that has been set, you either remove the "video8.cfg" file from the "settings" folder, or go into the game video settings and select the native resolution for the new monitor.

I changed the video settings to the new resolution when I first started the game. I also tried removing video8 and then started the game and still getting the same results.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »
From the image it is acting like it is running the game at 1920x1080 on the new monitor which is smaller than the native resolution.  The frame is not really a windowed frame.

What happens when you remove the secondary monitor from the equation?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
What is the native desktop resolution?  That is what the game will try to default to.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 04:31:33 PM »
What is the native desktop resolution?  That is what the game will try to default to.

The native of the primary monitor (new) is 1920x1080. Native for the secondary monitor is 1680x1050.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
Had my numbers backwards.  It looks like it is running in 1680x1050 resolution on the 1920x1080 monitor.

When you remove the second monitor, what happens?  You will need to remove the "video8.cfg" file from the "settings" folder before starting the game.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 04:52:51 PM »
Had my numbers backwards.  It looks like it is running in 1680x1050 resolution on the 1920x1080 monitor.

When you remove the second monitor, what happens?  You will need to remove the "video8.cfg" file from the "settings" folder before starting the game.

Removed the second monitor, removed video8, started game, checked video settings to ensure it was the native resolution, went into game, same results.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 07:39:40 PM »
A fresh install has seem to fixed this....

Thanks for the help!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 05:54:08 AM »
Did you install over the top of the existing game, or rename the original "settings" folder?  Exactly what did you do?

I am trying to come up with the circumstances which would allow duplication of this issue.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2016, 07:12:06 AM »
Did you install over the top of the existing game, or rename the original "settings" folder?  Exactly what did you do?

I am trying to come up with the circumstances which would allow duplication of this issue.

Uninstalled the game, then did a fresh download and install. Allowed it to convert AHII settings to AHIII. Pasted over the skins, squads, and motd folders from the version I just uninstalled. Launch game. Opened the video settings, set everything to the correct setting (the resolution was already correct). Went online, everything was good.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
Well, I am glad you are working, but I really would have liked to have gotten a hold of that old "settings" folder.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese