Author Topic: Advice on using 3 monitors  (Read 2175 times)

Offline snkbyt

• Zinc Member
      • http://none
Advice on using 3 monitors
« on: October 25, 2016, 12:17:26 AM »
I'm working on my system to get back into the game after away for 9 years. This system used to the bestest and fastest but now is minimum to run the game. I haven't downloaded until I get it updated in the next week. I have a Gigabyte GTX 1060 windforce, Intel 6700K 4.0 GHz, ASUS gaming MB. 1000W Power supply.

Question? I'm thinking of going 3 25"  monitors. Do you have to but the Triplehead to go set up to run the game or will it work straight off the Ge-Force card? Guess I don't understand the ad for the Triplehrad2go?
Thanks for the help...

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
Re: Advice on using 3 monitors
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »
I was running three monitors for Aces High.  I ran them through the Nvidia software configuration software and it all worked pretty well.  No TripleHeader thingie needed.  Others are using it and will likely give you their perspective here.

I quit using three monitors because, while very cool, the Obutto Revolution that I sit in has a monitor platform that is simply fussy.  I was having to adjust the monitors about once a week.  Complete PITA.

On the 'someday' list is a solid table to use as a base for the monitors on their (supplied) stands. 

The three monitor setup is more immersive in my opinion.  The only other drawback to using the Nvidia configuration software is the in-game FOV you will undoubtedly have to adjust.  It can 'fish-eye' your AH films pretty severely and you'll probably resort to other methods of video capture over time.

If I was in 'Do-Over', I would have purchased a (much) larger single, fast, HD monitor and affixed it to a wall mount.

That's just my experience. YMMV.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
Have you looked at the Rift?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:45:25 AM »
You can run it right off the 1060. All you need are the cables and the monitors. You're going to love it!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:19:51 PM »
I am very happy with my 3 monitor setup.  I am using 27 inch Samsung it does take up a lot of space but I think it's worth that.  I have a AMD 7950 card and currently plugged into two display ports and one Hdmi :banana:
AkCaine

Offline snkbyt

• Zinc Member
      • http://none
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  This communty has always been such a great help!! Think I'm going to try the 3 monitors on a fixed base that I'm going to build on my desk.. No street rod builds this year so lots of time to get back into the game. Just waiting on the upgrades now.

Thanks again.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 07:07:18 PM »
I used triple/3screen for a while a couple years ago or so, it's great.  Try and get 144hz 1080p monitors if you can afford them, or at least decent 60hz ones, be sure to really google the snot of whatever you look at in terms of gaming performance.

As others said, nVidia provides what you need to do this these days, be aware of what connection ports your GPU card has, and what type the monitors use, as you'll need to figure out which cables you need, and how to set them up, ie displayport, HDMI, DVI.  Also, make sure you have enough desk/surface space for them, measure first and be certain, both in width, and also depth behind your desk/table/whatever.  There are lots of 3 monitor (or more) stands in different configs out there, I think I paid around one hundred fifty for a decent one that held all 3 of mine on a single center stand.   http://www.ebay.com/bhp/3-monitor-stand

The only disadvantage are the bezels, but you'll quickly get accustomed to them, and won't even notice them after a short time.  The slimmer the better though IMO, again, google the model you decide on and get other gamers opinions on it. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:12:39 PM by Gman »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 07:28:30 PM »
I use three monitors on all games and the immersion is better.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »
I use three monitors on all games and the immersion is better.

Is there much of a performance hit?
I only have a single 970.  Don't know if that will run 3 monitors with a good frame-rate.
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
Try them in portrait mode.  I like the up view this gives much better than being able to see the wingtips in landscape mode.
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:12:17 AM »
Have you looked at the Rift?

Every week!

I confess there is a little wife ack about the sensational press VR is getting.  What she hears is blah blah blah - Christmas is coming - CHA-CHING!  It doesn't matter that multiple monitors or a high-horsepower HD televisions are more expensive.

Thinking about it, I use the snot out of three monitors daily for things other than gaming.  In the long run, a Rift for combat flight simming is a smart path.  One worry I might have is that I'm one of those guys that loves to fly in full-sized aircraft but are uneasy in high places.  What?!  Years ago I had a panic attack while walking across the Royal Gorge bridge and I couldn't look over the side of the car while driving in the Rockies.  It's weird.  I know.  So I am a little concerned about the Rift.  I would love to try one though.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »
Is there much of a performance hit?
I only have a single 970.  Don't know if that will run 3 monitors with a good frame-rate.

I have a 780Ti and fluctuate between 55-60.  Max settings.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC