Author Topic: Attack label when rolling light  (Read 14444 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Attack label when rolling light
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2016, 06:43:02 AM »
For the record. I agree with Dobs original post, I think the fighter or attack should be shown when you start your sortie in the text buffer as a system message. That way people know which method they choose. I often forget to change it and have no idea until after my sortie that I scored it wrongly. I think it would help.

Secondly when it comes to rank.

The majority of the people who bash rank could never even get in the top 10 if they tried. They call the high scorers every name imaginable and disregard their flying skills in some fashion. There aren't very many people who would be Top 5 or even top 10 every month even if they flew easy perk planes. People like Semp claiming they use to fly for rank "easily" but yet you fly a P51D every sortie. That should be an automatic top 10 rank even dying half the time. People think flying timidly or running, or getting a high K/D is the best way to get a high rank. They are wrong. I'd love to challenge people to a fighter rank contest, but they are usually too weak to accept. I think it's actually harder than people give credit for. I think it does take skill to be a top 5 ranked. Given the integrity of the players and how they achieved it. I dare you to call me a weak score tard after Ive gone 97-9 in a 109g2 this tour. A slow midwar plane. No one sees that, no one sees the challenge I've given to myself. No one sees the actual skill it takes to achieve that. They just think I'm some score dweeb who gets top 5 every month. I think if people used the rank more, it would help them become a better pilot. You can gauge your performance and work on part that you need help with. You can work on getting kills faster, you can work on getting more kills a sortie, and see those #s for comparison. There really is a skill to get a good fighter rank in harder planes. There is a reason why I always score high, it's because I know how to play in the MA and I know how to get kills in a short period of time. I dont fly like your percieved run timid gang dweebs, and that's half the reason I have a better rank than all of them. I'm all for bashing the runners and gangers, but they are not an indication of good pilot scoreres. It's almost insulting to me when I hear people talking about rank because they simply don't understand it, or at least don't understand why I always have a top 5 rank, it happens on accident, and it's simply because of the way I fly, not because I have to fly some dweeb ride or fly a special way. Maybe you can point out the true pilots who represent rank rather than bash everyone who scores high, and actually learn how they do it, so you can become better in the MA.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »
At Violator

I don't think anyone is taking away from the guys like yourself and Snailman who put the actual time in to attain those ranks...why I was talking top 50 instead of top 5...but this month had a great example for my suggestion in the top spot. I consider top 5 to be NORMALLY very hard to get into...this month a little luck got in there. But you can't tell me that within the top 50 every tour there isn't a few people who get in there because they only up in fighter mode for vulches and such....which is the reason for my suggestion, it really doesn't take anything away from anyone who got their score skillfully.

Almost. We need a general to judge the contribution to the war (capturing fields), and decide about rank based on that - instead of score. This would unite the play-styles of the score-worshipper and turf-capture crowds.

Unfortunately, neither the russian judge nor the general can be automated easily. Maybe with advances in AI?

Overall score measures turf capture ability very well IMO as of now....why the top 50 overall are mostly base capture players....some milk runners and achievement seekers but for the most part base capture guys.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2016, 08:14:51 AM »
I do agree to some extent that 5 or such kills on the same player in a span of 3-5 minutes should be restricted to some extent. Even though Blade did not break the rules, the integrity of the score matters, and I'd hate for people to take advantage of this  with their friend, as there is no way to identify proof of gaming the rank. Yes, I would have been #1 this month if not for that, which is why I was pissed when I first saw it. I will do my best to pass his rank as it is a challenge for me.   :police:
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2016, 10:40:41 AM »
omg just go get a 262 and kill 10 sets of buffs already. 

Normally there are way more players and that makes the points category average much higher making it very difficult for low sortie fighter types to remain top 2.  I'm sure he wouldn't still be #1 if you and everyone else ups their game a little and puts more kill points on the board.

EDIT:  just looked and it is a big ask however if he logs in again and plays in fighter he will dilute that ridiculous score.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 10:47:01 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2016, 10:59:14 AM »
After looking at it, I might be #1 tomorrow depending on how much further Blades point rank goes up  :D

I won't get to play till the weekend. But I'm in a good spot  :banana:

I remember back in 2006-2007 I couldn't ever get #1 because of the points. KillnU beat me one time (tour 82, I think.) because I just couldn't get enough points. That was one of my best month ever I'm AH. Nowadays it's all about K/H and Hit# to really have a chance at winning. I still think it's challenging. Plus I just enjoy beating starfox every tour playing 1/16th the time he does hehehehe.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
Nowadays it's all about K/H and Hit# to really have a chance at winning.

In absolute numbers, the perceived importance of K/H has actually declined, as the average K/H went down a lot over the past years. A K/H in the top group right now would have given you something like a 'honorable mention' back in the day ;)
I mentioned it before: My bomber hunting style never got me to the top in those days, because the many furballers had a way better k/h than me. But now that those days are gone, the very same playing style got me to #1 a lot of times.

But of course, relatively spoken all categories are worth the same, because they all contribute their sub rank number to your total rank.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman