Author Topic: The gumbo of stutters, pauses, freeze and other ingredients  (Read 30771 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
The gumbo of stutters, pauses, freeze and other ingredients
« on: November 01, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
We have a ton of reports about stutters, pauses, and suspensions of the game while playing.  Mostly seem to surround the DX11 version of Aces High III.

In all my readings of all the reports and all the data we have been sifting through, one thing is clear.  There appears to be multiple things contributing/causing a variety of different things related to the game not playing smoothly all the time.

This is not about crashes to the desktop.  That is something else.  This is about the game running, but not playing smoothly.  Even in that there is not playing smoothly in the DX11 version, or the DX9 version, or both.  Yes between those last three, there are yet again different reasons for them acting differently.

In that cornucopia of data, some things have crept to the surface which may be some of the factors involved in causing these issues.

The purpose of this thread is to try and consolidate what players have discovered either causing or contributing to the lack of smoothness in game play.
=====

1)  The removal of the Nvidia Stereoscopic 3D and Nvidia 3D Vision drivers appears to have stopped the long .5 second freeze from one computer. (DX11)

2)  Making sure power management is disabled on the USB buses/ports solved short stutters in at least two cases so far. (DX11)

3)  Removing/disabling the AMD/Nvidia HDMI pass-through audio drivers cured long pauses for a few players.

4)  Disabling the "What U Hear" device in the audio control panel of Windows has been reported to stop the pause on microphone keying in DX11 even when Aces High III is set to use the correct device.  Simply having this device enabled caused the pause.

5)  Disabling skins downloads has helped, at least, one player cure the stutters.  This may impact people running the game from an SSD more than those running from a hard drive.

6)  Updating audio drivers also seems to help with some.

======
If anyone runs into other things which seems to have cured the stutters, please post them in this thread, and I will incorporate them into this post.  Be sure to state the game version you are running (DX9, DX11 and version/patch level).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 11:10:27 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: The gumbo of stutters, pauses, freeze and other ingredients
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:53:12 AM »
DX11 Just having "What U Hear" enabled caused longer pauses every time I keyed vox (posted about it too). My normal vox system is an interface via USB (also mentioned). It did not matter that AH3 was setup to use the correct device.

EDIT: Pause length was closer to 3/4 second to a full second. Currently patch 8.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:56:26 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:27:40 PM »
DX11 Patch 8, Buzzsaw

Micro stutters are back, but only when I key up my mic on Vox or Range and it only hesitates once. :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 05:50:37 AM »
DX11 Patch 8, Buzzsaw

Micro stutters are back, but only when I key up my mic on Vox or Range and it only hesitates once. :headscratch:

Need a DXDIAG output.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:33:08 AM »
DX11 Patch 8, Buzzsaw

Having the same issue, Where do I find "What you hear" Device? I opened sounds in control panel and can't find how to disable. Attached DXdiag
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:03:47 PM »
Slate, are you expecting audio through television speakers?  If not, get rid of the NVidia audio driver (disable it or remove it).  It will cause problems.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
NVIDIA TGX760 [Drivers 372.54]
SAMSUNG TC24C550 HDMI TV\Monitor, samsung Win7 drivers installed.

I use HDMI to DVI as my connection. I cannot keep Win7 from installing the hidef drivers so I disable the device. My sound is through a Plantronics GamCom 780 USB headset with mic. The Realtec onboard sound chip is disabled in the bios. The Plantronics drivers are up to date.

DX11

With patch8 on all other terrains the freeze or spike was gone until last night on buzzsaw. It happened randomly and not in sync with VOX usage or hearing VOX transmissions on squad or range. Instead of a hard lock for a second, it seemed to ease in then clear. The screen action stopped but, didn't seem to lock solid then release abruptly as in the past. I was experiencing problems with TR randomly loosing positional control and pointing my view in strange directions. I attributed that to the intense sun light reflections from the inside of my canopy being picked up as a transient light source reflected off my glasses into the TR camera. It did not happen in the tower or CV bridge, most often when flying with at least one other plane inside of 6k. In one case the plane was lower than me where I could not see it when a soft lock occurred.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »
Hello.  I am experiencing frequent frame rate drops and stuttering since the latest update (as of 9:46p ET 11/2/2016)  I have never had problems before and my graphics settings have not changed in Nvidia or on AH3.  I noticed the recent update fixed some VR issues, could this have caused other unintended issues? Thanks
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 10:33:51 PM »
DxDiag attached.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 06:24:13 AM »
Jimmy, in another system the player went back to stock clocks and everything smoothed back out.  Would you mind trying stock clocks and see what happens?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 06:25:07 AM »
Hello.  I am experiencing frequent frame rate drops and stuttering since the latest update (as of 9:46p ET 11/2/2016)  I have never had problems before and my graphics settings have not changed in Nvidia or on AH3.  I noticed the recent update fixed some VR issues, could this have caused other unintended issues? Thanks

Frame rate drops are different from stutters.  Need to see a DXDIAG output.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 09:55:59 PM »
Jimmy, in another system the player went back to stock clocks and everything smoothed back out.  Would you mind trying stock clocks and see what happens?

Wouldn't mind at all Skuzzy, just tell me what they are and how to do it. :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 09:30:11 AM »
I must have been premature in my assessment, as the little pauses are back. I played for a few days without pauses, and now they return. It makes no sense.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 11:06:35 AM »
I wonder if some reason it is server side?
Does the server get reset between maps?
Does the server get reset after an update is made?

So many people with varying systems suffer same symptoms....

I just set everything up to use DX9....can't take it anymore.

Sort of like shooting hand poured musket balls out of a sniper rifle with a high end vid card and having to fall back to DX9.

GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »

I don't have anything overclocked, if that is what you mean Skuzzy. :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76