Author Topic: Any CCW people here?  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Xtrepid

• Copper Member
Re: Any CCW people here?
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2016, 04:54:34 PM »
Depends on what I'm wearing

And... at the beach, Mr. Bailey?  :)

X

SHOOT TO THRILL
"We don't hide crazy... we just put it on the front porch and give it a drink"

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
We can carry at work because I say we can. We have a nice shop in a nice area. You just never know.

Good for you Shuffler, your employees should be proud to work in an environment which exercises simple logic. Have not need/need not have, and so forth and all.  Murphy's law dictates it's always the one thing you didn't or couldn't have quickly to hand that you'll most need - and miss - in a crisis. 

IMO Home defense and CCW are both important subjects, but completely different animals.  First thing is you can and should use a shoulder supported weapon as your primary home defense tool, and have a handgun as a secondary weapon you can transition to if required, due to malfunctions, emergency reload times for your rifle being longer than a transition to your handgun, or if space and distance make it more optimal than your long gun.  A rifle/shotgun is an inherently more effective weapon by nearly every metric, far easier to make hits with under stress, and far, far more lethality contained within each of those hits.  It's a no brainer to me.  Also, the nature of many types of 556 rounds makes them actually safer in terms of over-penetration within a structure/home/building/etc.  So it's win-win, less chance of hitting friendlies beyond your target, and more chance of putting that target down.  There are many types of shotgun rounds made for this specific purpose as well.

Shotguns are great if you're in a place where you may need to get through locked doors to defend others.  There are many door breaching rounds available which allow you to cut through most doors in 2 seconds with a couple of quick shots and a good boot following that.  Plus they are very simple to use, primarily a gross motor skill weapon, which is fantastic when you're under stress conditions.

One thing I would recommend for any long gun, be it rifle or shotgun, is if you're using it for home defense, put a light on it for the love of god.  So many I see do NOT have this feature installed.  They are cheap, and considering it'll likely be dark when you need it, and you may not have the option or time to flip on lights - or the power could be cut or out - having a white light on your primary shoulder weapon is absolutely essential.  The new lights out there in the 1000+ lumen range also give you a very effective less lethal weapon, and various strobe modes can make your opponents chances of returning accurate fire go down by an order of magnitude.  I've done plenty of force on force with sim/air munition rounds in low light, and have my instructor cert through SureFire's low light combat training system.  When  you get hit with that high lumen light, especially on strobe, shooting back accurately is completely impossible.  That's something you truly want to do to your threats.  Also, the case of mistaken identity - friends or family pulling a prank, or whatever, plus one of the 4 rules, always identify and know your target...this can only be done WITH a white light source in low light conditions.  So, not having one is not only silly, but also opens you up to all kinds of legal issues too.  If you have a secondary pistol for home defense, having a light on it, or better yet a second light that is handheld to use with that or to use in tight quarters, is a must too.  It should be with or right beside your go-to gear.

Last bit - armor.  I've dealt with a guy in Texas I met at CSAT, who sells cheap/used/etc armor for a long time, and considering just how cheap you can get a 3a vest for now, or better yet lvl 4 plates and a carrier, there is NO reason you shouldn't have one of these with your go-to gear. It takes a couple seconds to throw on, and statistically will greatly increase your odds of staying in a fight and finishing it.  Seriously, $200, or even $100 can get you a used/decent 3a vest if you shop around, and a really good lvl 4 or Ar500 steel plates are pretty cheap now too.  BulletProofMe.com is a good place to look if you're on a budget.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:00:40 PM by Gman »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2016, 09:32:46 PM »
For every one round I shoot in a range I shoot probably 100 in my basement.

Dry firing of course but your muscles dont know that. And building into your muscle memory the ability to smoothly and quickly draw and fire , reload, use cover...ect is all a product of training and repetition. Most shooters look at dry firing as silly but nothing is more important to become a good shot.

When I worked the street I carried a .45 on my right hip and a 9mm on my left. I wasnt born ambidextrous I trained myself to shoot lefty, and to shoot one hand, and to reload with one hand using my mouth and other joints to do so cause you never know where your going to get wounded at. Got shot in your strong arm? Now what?

I keep things simple and pretty much only carry 9mm and .380 now. Im never going to work the street again but if its one thing I learned its anything can and will happen and when it does you'll react the way you trained. Theres just no time to ponder deep thoughts. And I also recommend good practical shooting schools. Not the ones ran by egotistical big mouths that never have a good thing to say but by professionals who know how to work with, and improve, the skills you bring to the table. There ARE some real strokes in this industry.

As well, Im still around cause I saw the trouble coming and reacted to it in time. And that is even more important then poking pretty little groups in paper on the range.

I like Glocks cause they are simple and they work. I carry a 19, a 43, and have a 34. But there are many fine choices out there.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2016, 10:20:13 PM »
Warm weather: SW 638 .38

Cold weather: SW M&P .45
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2016, 05:34:30 AM »
IMO 90% of your trigger presses should be dry fire.  There are lots of home aids/tools available out there now to assist with dry fire practice too, they are inexpensive and if used properly can help you learn proper fire control.  One of the most common problems is not keeping the pistol completely motionless when pressing the trigger, anticipating the shot, and not having proper follow through when resetting the trigger.  Dry fire aids can help show problems and also help you correct them.

Rich is right, there are a lot of shills out there now, thousands it seems, but there is also a huge increase in quality schools as experience trained guys retire from the military and other units and start up training programs of their own.  Like I said, I was fortunate to work for one of the early Pro schools, back when there was fewer than 10 in the entire USA, we trained and equipped the secret service, naval special warfare, and many others with not just our gear but our developed curriculum regarding fighting with handguns back then at SigArms Academy.  As I said a few posts  before, there are probably 30 or more schools/instructors I would recommend.  Unfortunately, the ratio of crap to good is high on the crap side.

Regarding strong/weak side training, I've posted about this here before, but I'll repeat, that Rich is right here as well.  When fighting around obstacles, vehicles, on the ground around vehicles, and so on, you may not be able to get a sight picture with your strong side, and due to the random nature of cover, may have to switch to your weaker side.  Wounds as well, but you're typically going to want to switch sides fare more frequently just due to the position you are in while in cover than due to some sort of injury, but training for that is obviously good too.  Being able to rapidly switch sides with both handguns and shoulder supported weapons is important, and there are a few good techniques to both switch, and shoot, from your non dominant side.  IMO you should always purchase a holster for your weak side, and force yourself to do entire courses of fire, even entire courses, switching to your non dominant hand as your primary. 

Regarding handguns/gear, there are so many good options out there that it's really personal preference now, there is only a couple of models I would not recommend now, the vast majority are suitable IF they are suitable for you.  You will here wild stories about 100s of thousands of rounds through various models/etc, this is all BS, the majority have a service life of 20 to 40k, and having worked in businesses where millions of pistol rounds were fired every quarter, I've seen every make and type have parts failures, catastrophic failures as well, with dozens of examples of each popular type we used.  So ignore any nonsense you read about one model having massively more longevity over an another, failures are random, and unpredictable, much like wounds.  They do happen to every make/model, and unless you are paid to shoot, or in a unit that pays for your ammunition every day, the odds are just due to cost alone few shooters will ever push the service life of their tools.

As well, Im still around cause I saw the trouble coming and reacted to it in time. And that is even more important then poking pretty little groups in paper on the range.

Repeating myself again, but this is an important lesson learned that we can all take away from - Mindset.  Mindset is far, far more important than your shooting/fighting physical skills are.  The main weapon is between your ears, and the more you properly train, the more effective it will become, the physical shooting and moving part in training is just a great byproduct/bonus - this is how I've always looked at training.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:41:17 AM by Gman »

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
Repeating myself again, but this is an important lesson learned that we can all take away from - Mindset.  Mindset is far, far more important than your shooting/fighting physical skills are.  The main weapon is between your ears, and the more you properly train, the more effective it will become, the physical shooting and moving part in training is just a great byproduct/bonus - this is how I've always looked at training.

+1 on this. Mindset is EVERYTHING. I taught young men and women how to shoot, from the rifle, LMG's, and pistols.  (I'm a vet, and former instructor).

Without the right mindset AND training, might as well be carrying a nice pen. If your training doesn't help you focus with the situation at hand, the flight/fight response will kick in. And for the military, to teach the soldier to respond properly, took hundreds of hours, daily practice drills, and a whole lotta rounds on the range.  And without the right mindset, your CCW will become a liability, not an asset.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2016, 12:35:48 PM »
Beretta 84FS Cheetah in .380
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »
Current carry weapon is a S&W Shield in 9MM.  Another good question is what holster are you using.  I really dig my Alien Gear IWB and OWB form fit holsters.  Comfortable for me even while sitting in the driver's seat wearing a seatbelt.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
We can carry at work because I say we can. We have a nice shop in a nice area. You just never know.

This warms my heart.

Used to be the person working on a military base/post could carry if State laws allowed.  At some point the feds decided personnel couldn't bring a weapon on post unless it was to go to the range or hunt (if available).

I have written my Senator (Sessions) several letters about this in the past, and I hope there will be a change soon.

Why is it important to me?  I work on a military post, effectively disenfranchising me from my right to carry 80% of the time.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »
That's great.
My statement said they don't allow us, I didn't say I follow their rules. ;)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
That's great.

There is a problem there though. If they tag the place (30.06, and/or 30.07) you can lose your license.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
That's great.

I am pretty sure it's a felony to get caught - I know if the guards at the gate of the post I work discover a firearm on me or in my vehicle is a bad thing.  I would be prosecuted in federal court and lose the firearm.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2016, 12:53:04 PM »
Sig P229 classic (non-railed) in .40 S&W or .357 SIG, depending. 

Recently bought a pair of P239s in 9mm and have been carrying one of those when I am too lazy to grab a holster/belt.    Just drop it into a pocket and off I go.   Both are great handguns.   

Reliable.  Accurate.   Simple to operate.  And they're good looking.  :)
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2016, 01:02:56 PM »
  I've always thought my H&H in 600 Nitro Express would make an excellent self defense gun. I mean come on...a 900 grain bullet moving at 2164fps would def pass as adequate. Only down side is Blackhawk isn't making an IWB holster for it yet   :D

MB,

Why use a toy when you could use a real gun!

Try a 4 bore stopping gun! Fires a 113 gram,ya gram not grain projectile!  Concealment might be a problem but stopping power is never an issue!

If I was more tech savvy I'd link a video but a simple search for stopping rifles will give you several looks at what I'm talking about! They are available in either rifled or smooth bore.

:salute

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »
My kids in USAF and he says this is all changing. Troops will be able to carry as long as they have had the training the your CO signs off.

This warms my heart.

Used to be the person working on a military base/post could carry if State laws allowed.  At some point the feds decided personnel couldn't bring a weapon on post unless it was to go to the range or hunt (if available).

I have written my Senator (Sessions) several letters about this in the past, and I hope there will be a change soon.

Why is it important to me?  I work on a military post, effectively disenfranchising me from my right to carry 80% of the time.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"