Author Topic: New RPM model.  (Read 4418 times)

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
Re: New RPM model.
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 04:12:38 PM »
lol

To address part of your topic, there's a thread that was specific to the P-38 where it was discussed at length, and how the RPM dropped, and HiTech made a change to it.

In other planes, I don't know.

I guess you just shut off the engine in a Spit 16 though!   :neener:

:bolt:

:D  :aok  :cheers:

Ill have a looksy for that thread!
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 02:41:30 AM »
in 2+ engine planes in AH, when you shut the engine down, you also auto feather the prop. This reduces drag dramatically, vs. throttling back at high RPM that keep the props windmilling and produce huge drag.
Try to land a Mosquito or P38 in a glide with engines off and with throttle back (full RPM).

In single engine planes there is no prop feathering, so to the best of my understanding, there should not be a difference between full throttle back and engine cut.

If someone wants to test the drag difference, put the plane in auto-speed, throttle back / cut engine and note the rate of decent.

For Pipz,
my perception of the RPM changes in the Mosquito is that I cannot reduce RPM below a certain value, even when the speed is low and the engine stays laud in a throttled back glide. This confused my in the beggining - I kept thinking that my throttle is broken or uncalibrated and does not reduced power.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 05:26:35 AM »
For Pipz,
my perception of the RPM changes in the Mosquito is that I cannot reduce RPM below a certain value, even when the speed is low and the engine stays laud in a throttled back glide. This confused my in the beggining - I kept thinking that my throttle is broken or uncalibrated and does not reduced power.

:aok  :cheers:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 04:39:31 PM »
IN a 109 when your engine is hit and has ran out of oil and died. If you have the altitude, set your glide at about 500/min and hold the (-) key down until RPM's go to zero/you'll increase your range and gain speed at least until you run out of sky.

Offline Owlblink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 08:41:59 PM »
I adjust my RPM a lot when landing and climbing around a base to have better energy retention/less torque and such (not to mention reduction in fuel burn). I have not touched it much in a dogfight, but it might be a worthy expirement to try in planes like the 109 to allow more throttle play with less torque and drag.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:45:11 PM by Owlblink »
Kommando Nowotny FSO
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 07:59:59 AM »

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
The way I've noticed the RPM difference is on approach...cutting throttle alone does not slow you down like it used to, cutting RPM as well will have immediate effect there.

As for anyone who says toggling engine off doesn't effect or isnt effective in Aces High ACM....you need to DA more or have some more close quarters fight with another single con instead of just flying around with the advantage all the time. It slows the plane down dramatically more then cutting throttle (because it's instantaneous) and it gives more manuevering ability in the horizontal in low speeds because you aren't fighting torque.

That being said....it does take away from the ability to bring the nose up which in slow scissors can slow you down more then chopping throttle....so those nose up motions with cross control (which many of you say isn't a viable tactic which should be avoided at all costs....to those people, again...actually fight someone) and throttle work can get you just as slow....it's more work and a lot more input on pedals, throttle and stick but it works.

Now the hammerhead on the other hand....engine off makes the hammerhead look pretty compared to with engine on....also makes it faster (which is part of the pretty part)

IN a 109 when your engine is hit and has ran out of oil and died. If you have the altitude, set your glide at about 500/min and hold the (-) key down until RPM's go to zero/you'll increase your range and gain speed at least until you run out of sky.
Yo Creton  :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"