Author Topic: White Screen w/ GeForce GTX 860M  (Read 373 times)

Offline MrSpanky

• Zinc Member
White Screen w/ GeForce GTX 860M
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:23:41 PM »
I just installed AH3 on my Lenovo Y50-70.  It ran at 18 FPS which seemed a bit slow.  It has two device adapters installed.  An Intel HD Graphics 4600 and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M.  It appeared that the GeForce wasn't being used.  I updated the drivers and re-installed the GeForce Experience then open the NVIDIA Control Panel, went to Manage 3d Settings and changed the "Preferred graphics processor" to "High-Performance NVIDIA processor".  Now I only see a white screen when I open AH.  I disabled the NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device as it was the only NVIDIA item I could find in the device manager in addition to the Display adapters.

If I select the "Integrated Graphics Process" AH works, but with the slow FPS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: White Screen w/ GeForce GTX 860M
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
Is your monitor connected to the video card and not your motherboard?

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 01:39:08 AM »
Coogan, it's a laptop he's talking about.

MrSpanky, when you start the game using the Nvidia option, go to the Video Settings and check that everything is as should. I haven't had this issue myself but some vague memory says that the Max Texture Size slot might be empty. If so, choose a value from the drop down menu and try again.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 05:14:59 AM »
I get the white screen too any time I launch the game, all I have to do is maximize the game and it displays as normal. 
Laptop too btw, GTX 970M
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »
I get the white screen too any time I launch the game, all I have to do is maximize the game and it displays as normal. 
Laptop too btw, GTX 970M

This is the cure for that problem until we figure out why it is happening.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »
I had a similiar issue (but on desktop with embedded HD graphics installed).

My solution was to uninstall and reinstall the game...seemed to fix it. 

I also had the luxury of disabling the HD graphics to prevent it from recurring....if you are using battery frequently, might not be a desirable option.  And I'm not sure if you even CAN disable the embedded HD graphics on the new laptops.

Here is an option to add a command line in right click menu which tells which GPU to use to run the game...see if it behaves differently...

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I think that the Onboard Intel HD cannot be disable because the computer is mainly running on this Graphics,

What i would try is this
  this is to let Nvidia be assigned on running the game.

The switching to the NVIDIA graphics depends on application profiles. If an application has no such profile, you can assign the graphics card manually:
Click Start and then Control Panel. Select Classic View from the left side of the window.
Double-click NVIDIA Control Panel.
Click View and next Add "Run with graphics processor" Option to Context Menu. Close the NVIDIA Control Panel.
Right-click the application title and select Run with graphics processor. Then, click High-performance NVIDIA processor.
Hope this helps,
Cheers
!

So a little different than telling the game to use the Nvida processor in the 3d settings...maybe it starts the game with the Nvidia vs trying to switch.  Hope you get it sorted.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline MrSpanky

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Skuzzy's did the trick.  :aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 06:27:25 AM »
Disabling the onboard video device (Intel) would do the trick.  All you need to do is remove the "video8.cfg" and "world.cfg" files from the "settings" folder.  Then it should work, after disabling the onboard device.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com