Author Topic: Load AH on SSD drive?  (Read 5044 times)

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
Load AH on SSD drive?
« on: January 12, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »
I've been away for a while, should I load AH on my ssd drive, it will use about 2% of the remaining space?
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Load AH on SSD drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:45 PM »
I've been away for a while, should I load AH on my ssd drive, it will use about 2% of the remaining space?

It has been advised against installing AH to an SSD, as there will be no performance increase for the game.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:40 PM »
Tkanks 1/10th of a k Coogn..  :salute
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
It has been advised against installing AH to an SSD, as there will be no performance increase for the game.
While I agree that the reasons the game shouldn't be loaded on an SDD, I will argue this point (at least in AHII).  I was getting micro freezes a while back.  I traced it down to disc reads.  An SDD solved that.  Since then I heard that SDD's have issues with rewrites, so I didn't put it on the SDD on my new box. 
 :salute
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 02:17:18 PM »
SSDs have considerable longevity today, and could without a doubt survive a few hundred years of rewrites. The problem that arose concerning SSDs was during the beta when the program and associated files were updated. Still, the only real advantage of SSDs is quick load times, which comes into play when you start AH or load a different map. It is not enough advantage to be of much value, unless your system frequently crashes and if that is the case you should probably be on a platter drive anyway.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
While I agree that the reasons the game shouldn't be loaded on an SDD, I will argue this point (at least in AHII).  I was getting micro freezes a while back.  I traced it down to disc reads.  An SDD solved that.  Since then I heard that SDD's have issues with rewrites, so I didn't put it on the SDD on my new box. 
 :salute

If you are getting stutters, due to the game disk reads, then the computer has other problems as Aces High always preloads what it needs long before it needs it.

We all use hard drives here and have NEVER had a disk based stutter.  I have never seen it at home either.

The game has been designed to make sure disc reads would not be an issue.  This is not new either.  It has been at the core of Aces High for over 12 years.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:34:43 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:50:04 PM »
I've been running on SSD for ages, it's all I have on my PCs.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 04:57:57 PM »
If you are getting stutters, due to the game disk reads, then the computer has other problems as Aces High always preloads what it needs long before it needs it.

We all use hard drives here and have NEVER had a disk based stutter.  I have never seen it at home either.

The game has been designed to make sure disc reads would not be an issue.  This is not new either.  It has been at the core of Aces High for over 12 years.
No argument, but that's how I solved it, right or wrong :) #oldposmachine
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:33:49 PM »
Started from scratch on the computer this time. I haven't flown AH in about 5 years and I went with Cogans advice on the drive.  First time ever to buy an assembled computer, i went with game storm with a 1070 card.  I just loaded the game last night.
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 11:22:06 PM »
Rotating platters will not be manufactured within 2 to 3 years. But hey, you can still find an ST238R on ebay today.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 12:01:53 AM »
Rotating platters will not be manufactured within 2 to 3 years. But hey, you can still find an ST238R on ebay today.

not sure if any of my old 8088's or 286's would even start up these days, they've been in storage for so long........rofl

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 12:15:11 AM »

I remember people saying we didn't need any more than 4k of memory, that computers don't need color displays, that sound was never going to be any good on a computer (ouch), and that game console controls would never happen for PCs because computers are only for 'serious' work.

Yeah.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 06:20:20 AM »

That's non-sense.  They already have areal densities approaching 10Pb/sq in in the labs.  It will be 3 years before they hit the streets.  With the amount of data required to be stored growing at an exponential rate, the industry needs higher densities in order to keep up.

When was the last time you looked at a big data center?

Google is behind a large initiative to design new platter based storage systems as they do not believe SSD's will never overtake HDD's cost/GB.  The HDD industry is alive and well and will continue to be the primary storage for data centers, over the next decade.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:31:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 09:04:21 AM »
Rotating platters will not be manufactured within 2 to 3 years.

Marketing hype is a funny thing. It makes people get very strange beliefs. Quite a few years ago several people were wondering if desktop PC's were made any more because all the ads were full of laptops. Some time ago I was asked if laptops existed in productions any longer because the ads were full of tablets. The only thing that has really disappeared is the cheap mini laptop.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.