Author Topic: Frame 1 Objectives Sent for OVER THE REICH  (Read 2101 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Frame 1 Objectives Sent for OVER THE REICH
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 08:04:20 AM »
Lilma and I glided 2-3 sections with engines off and made it.  It's about %100 fuel management

Lol, you non jug people will never master the jug until you put a lot of time in them to appreciate them.
Fight the Luftwaffe or glide home?  Hmmm I'll take the extra fuel thank you.  Experience has little to do with it, it's more about fostering a longer fight window. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 08:05:01 AM »
The idea of no DT is because that is about accurate on real mission for them.
You do realize this is not World War 2 right?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 10:14:57 AM »
Waystin, I feel for ya buddy and your Allied brethren.  The Luftwaffe would much rather have had a fight with you but for lack of fuel.  It gets better.

JG11 was bounced nicely by 4 or more P51 30 seconds before we saw the buffs so we only got one good HO pass.  I was hoping for a nice alt advantage slashing pass or three but that was not to be had.  Climbing for position was just not going to happen.  The P47's came in quick and kept control of anything above the buffs after that.  I was hoping to escape south, then turn west and climb to get to those big fat bufferoonies on their egress.  Nope, Ran into a swarm of P38's.  So many.......so few of me.

Very exciting.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 10:40:01 AM »
Fight the Luftwaffe or glide home?  Hmmm I'll take the extra fuel thank you.  Experience has little to do with it, it's more about fostering a longer fight window.

We manage our fuel to give us 15 min tops, to fight Luftwaffe before returning home or at least making it.  15 is enough time to stay with the bombers, ingress and egress. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 11:29:35 AM »
We manage our fuel to give us 15 min tops, to fight Luftwaffe before returning home or at least making it.  15 is enough time to stay with the bombers, ingress and egress.
Your missing the point and your fuel management prowess is noted.  Anybody could stretch that fuel and make it back if they are willing to abandon the bombers.  The Pigs did not.  We flew all the way to Bremen at max cruise with our buffs until encountering the enemy south of Bremen.  We fought the enemy until all of our bombers were down and found our selves with 17-20 minutes of fuel with 6 sectors to the only friendly field.  Do that math for me oh wise one.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »
Way makes my point. We had the fuel to get there and back on max cruise. If the mission didn't include protecting our bombers, we would have been fine. Add in that I landed with only minutes to spare due to lumbering along, barely flying, time was also an issue.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
Your missing the point and your fuel management prowess is noted.  Anybody could stretch that fuel and make it back if they are willing to abandon the bombers.  The Pigs did not.  We flew all the way to Bremen at max cruise with our buffs until encountering the enemy south of Bremen.  We fought the enemy until all of our bombers were down and found our selves with 17-20 minutes of fuel with 6 sectors to the only friendly field.  Do that math for me oh wise one.

How were you 17-20 mins of fuel?  My group was there too and had hell lot more fuel, stayed with the bombers and fought off the threat and made it back.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 12:17:18 PM »
How were you 17-20 mins of fuel?  My group was there too and had hell lot more fuel, stayed with the bombers and fought off the threat and made it back.
You were on the northern flight path.  Northern path was more direct & less distance and it explains why the difference in fuel.

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
Those of us in VF-17 that flew p47s had to use Super Cruise to get back to A1 from Hanover. I was less skilled in this strategy and ditched 2.5 sectors from my base. It was very touch-and-go for the others though.

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »
You were on the northern flight path.  Northern path was more direct & less distance and it explains why the difference in fuel.

Ah, that explains it.  If you told me that I won't question it. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
The bombers don't fly at the historic speeds. They fly far faster because they aren't afraid of blowing an engine, running out of gas or maintaining proper formations.

This means the fighters have to fly at higher power settings to stay close to the bombers.

So constraining the fighters while not constraining the bombers results in empty tanks for P-47 's.

Now if the bombers were limited to just enough fuel to complete the mission at real world cruise power levels then the fighter fuel restrictions would make more sense.

Offline Dantoo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.9giap.com
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 05:11:22 PM »
The southern target was about 1.5 standard map squares further than the northern target (about 37 miles).  This extra distance adds about 15 minutes flight time at normal speeds.  It would be difficult for the fuel guzzlers sent south. 

If targets are set back no further than 7.5 sectors from the start point then the essential requirements including fuel management can be maintained. 
I get really really tired of selective realism disguised as a desire to make bombers easier to kill.

HiTech

Matthew 24:28 For wherever the carcass is, there is where the vultures gather together.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 10:25:15 PM »
It's up to the CiCs who plan the mission and the squadron leaders who lead to be aware of fuel issues. This isn't the Melee Arena where we just roll off at 100 throttle and keep it there the whole time.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2017, 10:39:31 AM »
It's up to the CiCs who plan the mission and the squadron leaders who lead to be aware of fuel issues. This isn't the Melee Arena where we just roll off at 100 throttle and keep it there the whole time.
I appreciate your response.  So either the CIC planned poorly or I led the squadron into certain doom with my ignorance of fuel management from flying the melee arena.  Or maybe both?  I hope someone else get those setup crippled planes next frame Sir. 

:salute

Way

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2017, 08:19:22 AM »
It wasn't meant as an insult i'm simply saying there are some missions where the planners and the squad leads have to make allowances for fuel. Sometimes you have to call bingo and turn back.

The P-47s have the shortest legs of the trio of USAAF fighters. You have to plan for that.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24