Author Topic: Option for Icon Scaling  (Read 626 times)

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Option for Icon Scaling
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
Either way the icon is going to lag...in readout and in size (in this case)..if the person is playing with a high lag connect.

With guys from all over the world playing, a nice addition to the icon would be to shade the country symbol with colors to indicate connect.

Green <100 ms
Yellow 100-300ms
Red>300ms

Something along those lines...then you can see bad guy, red shaded symbol break/jink earlier than you think you need to!

And colors can be whatever works since most guys keep enemy as red, and friendly as green....just tossing examples out. 

With VR becoming a "reality" in the game, I can't see our current icon system going unchanged much longer.  The immersion factor would be so much "bigger" without large billboards above the planes.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 12:51:10 PM »
I like Dob's idea.  It will help those that have a tough time with judging E states by the icon ranges alone.

Personally, having cut my teeth on AW and WB, I am used to how the icon ranges are currently and can pretty accurately judge E states of other planes but I do know that some have troubles and this wish will help those players. This is a quality of life wish that is far more beneficial to the players without any real negatives.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 01:12:18 PM »
I like icons to be just large enough to be readable, but not so large that they obscure the action.  So, constant icon size works for me.  But if "3D" icons were an option with no downside, no problem.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
Either way the icon is going to lag...in readout and in size (in this case)..if the person is playing with a high lag connect.

With guys from all over the world playing, a nice addition to the icon would be to shade the country symbol with colors to indicate connect.

Green <100 ms
Yellow 100-300ms
Red>300ms

Something along those lines...then you can see bad guy, red shaded symbol break/jink earlier than you think you need to!

And colors can be whatever works since most guys keep enemy as red, and friendly as green....just tossing examples out. 

With VR becoming a "reality" in the game, I can't see our current icon system going unchanged much longer.  The immersion factor would be so much "bigger" without large billboards above the planes.
Like AKAK I think this is good....Maybe make it a second mode for icons(so people can pick a preference) between say standard(how it is now) and dynamic(like your suggestion)...think this will help with players like me who's more worried icons will jump in size and throw off my SA
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"