Author Topic: YAK-3 needs to be perked  (Read 1485 times)

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
Re: YAK-3 needs to be perked
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 07:06:58 PM »
Yak-3s wings and fuselage where made to large extent of 1/16 inch plywood, the Yak-9 had metal wings.

IRL Yak-3 suffered from it's glued-on plywood covering the top of the wings to tear away under high-G loads.

The LA-7 with 3 guns where rare, still I have yet to meet a 2-gun LA-7 in AH, and should be perked, much like the Fw190-A12/13 (if it was in AH3) with its 30mm nose.mounted cannon.

I can run away from most spit's (except the Spit14), and its WEP time is short, the Yak's have infinite WEP,  its accelerates up to its max sped faster and can normally catch me in 109G's and 190A's because of that, it can follow a turning dive to 500 mph whereas the spit16/8/9 spit can't over 450 mph.

I can run away from most spit's (except the Spit14), and its WEP time is short, the Yak's have infinite WEP,  its accelerates up to its max sped faster and can normally catch me in 109G's and 190A's because of that, it can follow a turning dive to 500 mph whereas the spit16/8/9 spit can't over 450 mph. Incorrect, a G14 can out run it on the deck, the Yak3 falls apart at 475 plus the controls get heavy at 400, and above 18k it sucks. BTW, I have flown the G14 primarily this tour and it is a better aircraft.

Chuikov

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 06:01:09 PM »
What I've found Yak-3 out accelerates the G14, if you can get to top speed it will eventually outrun it. It famous pull-up's can't be followed even though the G14 climbs better at WEP.

Add to that the durability and its E-retention in turns.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 09:51:22 PM »
This happens every time a late war monster performer is "voted in".

Maybe better to fill out the planeset with earlier planes that were made in much larger numbers.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »
What I've found Yak-3 out accelerates the G14, if you can get to top speed it will eventually outrun it. It famous pull-up's can't be followed even though the G14 climbs better at WEP.

Add to that the durability and its E-retention in turns.

Actually it is false statement, it has fine acceleration but not as good as most of late war monsters.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,352267.msg4658646.html#msg4658646

These are the measurements, yak is far beyond 109k/g14 spit or LA, it is somewhat close to Dora but at low speeds
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »
I fly the Yak3 and the (2 gunned) La7 .......a lot.

Yak3

I have to note that when I get hits they hurt........... stuff gets damaged.......just as much as it does in other AC. So if there is a problem with the Yak3 damage model I wonder if its "outside" of the structural hardness settings and more one of applying them.

Flying against Yaks (of all types) they are difficult to hit if they manoeuvre well and retain e.

Save paints the argument that the metal spared and part metal skin of the Yak9U should make it stronger then all other Yaks. Which makes some sense.

My question is............why would HTC engineer the Yak3 to be stronger (against cannon & guns) than all other Yaks.....as is contended above. (Bozon believes the Yak3 is more bullet resistant (in AH) than the Yak9U)

So given a more like for like material choice I guess the question is why would HTC have made the Yak3 stronger than the Yak9T?  It would not surprise me if they (Yaks) were all modelled the same in this respect........... it would surprise me if HTC had gone to the trouble of modelling the Yak3 stronger. Particularly when HTC has gone to the trouble of modelling some of its weaknesses at combined high speed and high g loads.

Off subject.

I would be quite happy to have the La7 split into a "Standard" 2 gun model and a La7 bis 45 three gun model. However given every one will then fly the 5ENY three gun and only occasionally the 10 ENY two gun model (or some ENY between the present La7 and the La5FN)............I doubt it will make any difference to game play other than enable La7 use even after other rides have been disabled.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Bushmills

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 09:44:43 AM »
Why should HTC change the damage model for two planes that are almost (apart from shorter wings) identical?

Yak3 Dimensions: 
 Span  9.2m
 Length 8.55m
 Height 2.3m (inc landing gear)
 Wings area 14.4m^2

Yak9u Dimensions: 
 Span  9.74m
 Length 8.55m
 Height 3m (inc landing gear)
 Wings area 17.2m^2

The only answer I can think of with the Yak 3's ability to take punishment is a combination of it being small to start with, and being assigned a higher than usual amount of hit zones for the damage model. This would make it more likely that damage received would be spread over several hit zones, and less likely to accumulate hit points to a point of failure.

In that type of damage model any aircraft with a more diverse array of critical components, for example 3 smaller fuel tanks in each wing instead of 1 large one would benefit. Of course this is me merely speculating as the only person who would know for sure would be whoever modeled it.

In my experience, I don't think it as an unfair comment to say the Yak 3 and other planes in game are overly tough.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 11:18:47 AM »
@bozon can it be that in your series of how to kill yak, you shot 7mm rounds instead of 20mm?

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »
BTW it is fairly simple to do testing...  And check for example yak 3 against 9 or 7

Put yak on runway take jeep with 12mm Mg and see how much does it take to kill yak
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 11:22:16 AM by artik »

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »
I fly the 9U a lot, and I always hear people telling me I have some sort of miracle plane that they hit me all over blah blah... when on the receiving end I've been hit little if at all. I do wonder if its MG/Cannon birds that are hitting me with mgs and not cannons.

When you spawn the yak inside another aircraft you do get a sense of how small it is. (spit is 11m x 9.2m, 109 is 9.9m x 8.95).

And stop saying Yaks have infinite WEP, they don't have any WEP.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:29:39 PM by Vulcan »

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »
The wings seems to take a lot of hits before falling off, the difference between a YAK and a Spit is ridiculous, especially since i havent seen any reports that they where unusually robust..
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2017, 03:04:25 PM »
In real life, 2 Minen-geschoss where enough to down both LA-7 and Yak-3 according to Russian resources.
-Caldera

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
The wings seems to take a lot of hits before falling off, the difference between a YAK and a Spit is ridiculous, especially since i havent seen any reports that they where unusually robust..

Is that from the point of view of flying the yak? Because they come off quite happily when I'm flying it?

What are your ingame handles as there seem to be a number of people in this thread who don't fly yaks but seem to be armchair experts on them ;)

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
From both sides. Havent flown yaks in some time now though.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2017, 06:06:16 PM »
look at this link, it's bozon killing a Yak3 with only hispanos from close range.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,369327.0.html

@bozon can it be that in your series of how to kill yak, you shot 7mm rounds instead of 20mm?
-Caldera

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
So spend some times flying them before you write them off as invincible.

That post from bozon is from 2015? Are you claiming that rubber bullets only occur on Yak-3s or have you seen it happen elsewhere.

This Sunday past I heard someone screaming about some ride (might have been a Yak3 even) taking lots of hits. I asked with what - they said NOTHING BUT 20MM!!! I looked at their ride, I asked if they were sure it was 303 hits - they said they only had 20mm guns - I pointed out the mossie has 20mm and 303s... then the penny dropped. (I know bozon knows what he is doing in a mossie, but this was an example of how people don't understand what they are firing sometimes).

I don't fly the Yak 3 much, I do fly the Yak 9 and have no problem taking down Yak 3s.