Author Topic: Help, Windows 7 Computer Won't Shutdown  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Help, Windows 7 Computer Won't Shutdown
« on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »
My AH3 computer won't shutdown.

I've not installed any new programs, drivers, or updates since it was working fine a week ago. Since I was going out of down, I disconnected the power and internet cable since there were thunderstorms in the forecast. Today, before starting it again, I decided to clean the filters and check the insides for dust. So, with the power off and cord unplugged, I unplugged the HDMI, USB, audio, and ethernet cables, Laid the case on its side, removed the side panel, and pulled out the filters and cleaned them with compressed air. I grounded myself when I opened the case and was careful not to touch anything but the filters. I could see no dust in the case so I replaced the filters and side panel, stood the case up, and inserted all the cables in their previous ports.

I started the computer and everything seemed fine except the monitor was completely dark. (Lights were on on the EVGA GTX 1060.) I did have sound. I heard the windows opening notes. Since I have several computers and monitors I was able to confirm that the monitor was fine. So I shut down the computer by holding down the button, turned off the power, disconnected the cables, opened the case, and looked around. Everything looked fine. Although it seemed unlikely, it occurred to me that somehow the videocard had come partially unseated. After grounding myself I checked the card and power cable which appeared to be fine. I pressed down firmly on the card, put everything back together again, started it up (When I stared it I got the message asking if I wanted to start normally or in safe mode. I chose normal.), and had video! I browsed the internet and the computer seemed fine. I then shut it down to run an errand. (no problem with shutdown)

When I returned I decided it was Aces High time so I fired up the computer. It started fine but the mouse wouldn't work. I tried several USB ports and a different mouse. No Joy. So I did Cntrl, alt, del, and got the screen with several choices for shutting down, logging off, etc. But without a mouse could do nothing. So I pressed enter and the computer started to shut down but just hung with "shutting down" on the screen and the blue circle spinning. After about 15 min. I shut it down by holding the power button down and, after a few minutes started it again. I got the message asking me if I wanted to start it in normal mode or safe mode but, not knowing what to do, started it in normal mode. It started fine. This time the mouse worked but I noted that it was not recognizing my CH fighter stick but did recognize the throttle and pedals. I again browsed the internet and opened Word to be sure the computer was working and it seemed fine.

I decided to shut it down and go do something else for a while. This time it was stalled with "shutting down" and the spinning circle on the screen for about 15 min. Then the monitor went black but everything else appeared to be running. Fans were running and the LED lights on my audio and video cards were on. It stayed like that for about 30 min at which time I pushed the power button to force the shutdown and the video came back with the "shutting down" and spinning circle. Convinced it would never shut down I forced the shutdown using the power button. I'm afraid to start it again.  :bhead :bhead :bhead
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Help, Windows 7 Computer Won't Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 10:05:31 PM »
Is it possible that it is hanging up on a "windows update" trying to install, when you are trying to shut the computer down?

When you are in the process of clicking on shutting it off in Windows, and it seems to hang or if your monitor goes black, then loses the video feed ( monitor power light goes from green/blue/etc... to yellow) instead of using the power button to shut the computer down, reach around to the back and turn the power switch off on the power supply

Just some suggestions.... I ran across something like this several or more computer builds ago.. trying to remember what I did to fix it

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »
spin drive, see if manufacturer has some iso img that can boot from cd or usb and diagnostic the drive...................
make sure vid card fan working, pull out and reseat, try different cables.....
ram check, get a memory iso boot img and test ram. memtest 86. Ideally you would pull all ram sticks but 1, in correct slot, and memtest it alone, each stick same treatment.

:salute
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 03:57:21 AM »
You might be able to test your hard drive even from within Windows. Seagate offers SeaTools, WD has their own DataLifeGuard Diagnostics, both available as Windows versions. I say "should" because sometimes one of them won't find your disk. They usually work across brands, though, so at least basic tests should be available.

For a bootable media, the Ultimate Boot CD includes both brands plus a ton of other tools. Again, the Seagate test works for all brands. However, sometimes the bootable tests can't find a disk, probably due to the motherboard chipset being not recognized.

Before running a hard disk test, you might want to run the Windows System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupt system files.

After running a disk test, running the Windows error checking tool might also help. I recommend running the manufacturer's hard disk tool first, since Chkdsk /r will disable bad sectors which can cause the test to erroneously pass.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 06:17:02 AM »
Have you checked the "event" logs in Windows to see if any errors are being logged?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
Have you checked the "event" logs in Windows to see if any errors are being logged?

Just checked them but don't know what they mean. Under Critical events it shows event ID 41, source Kernal Power under system log with 0 in the last hour, 3 in the last 24 hours, and 3 in the last 7 days. It's only been running for 15 min
There have been 9 such kernal power events beginning 8/23/16. 3 occurred yesterday. They are all described as reboots without a clean shutdown

Under "errors" There are 2 errors listed for the last hour and 15 for the last 24 hours. There are 5 different errors listed'

Event ID 3, source Eventlog, log microsoft-windows-kernal-eventTracing/admin, 1 in last hour and 6 in the last 24
There have been 1,213 such events since 2011. Description is Microsoft Security Client OBE stopped due to error 0xC000000D

Event ID 6008, source event log, log system, 0 in last hour, 1 in last 24
There have been 3 such errors in in 12/16, 2/17, and yesterday. Described as the "previous system shutdown was unexpected".

Event ID 7009, source Service Control manager, log system, 1 in last hour, 6 in last 24
There have been 153 such events since 10/26/16 (about the time I upgrades to the GTX 1060O). A timeout was reached while waiting for the NVIDIA streamer service to connect.

Event ID 7011, source service control manager, log system, 0 in last hour, 1 in last 24
there have been 4 such events beginning in 7/17. Described as timeout while waiting for transaction response from NVNetwork Sevice

Event ID 7045, source service control manager, log system, 0 in last hr, 1 in last 34. There was only oer such error. It was yesterday and is described as Windows update service did not respond properly after receiving a preshutdown control (TC's point?)

There are also categories for warnings, information, and audits but I suspected I've already lited more than anyone ants to read. I'm sorry if I've posred to much but I have no idea how to interpret this. It can't all be too bad because my first problem that I regard as serious with this computer occurred yesterday.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Bizman,

I haven't ignored you. Those scans are next.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 06:33:50 PM »
Looks like it is related to the NVidia streaming service, although I cannot imagine why it would be active at shutdown.

Have you recently updated the video driver?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:46:40 PM »
I haven't updated th driver since I installed the GTX 1060 in October.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:00:30 PM »
You might be able to test your hard drive even from within Windows. Seagate offers SeaTools, WD has their own DataLifeGuard Diagnostics, both available as Windows versions. I say "should" because sometimes one of them won't find your disk. They usually work across brands, though, so at least basic tests should be available.

I ran the WD HD test since my drives are WD. They passed all tests. After the test the computer shutdown normally. Haven't confirmed yet that all controllers now work.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 09:21:46 AM »
Today all seems to be well with one excwption. Mouse and all controllers working fine. Logged into AHIII for a while with nor problems except no one could hear me on vox (I could hear others). Tested mic an sound card using windows sound recorder and playback was fine. Computer shutdown normally.

I've never had the vox problem before.So I guess I've made progress. Maybe when I log in tonight vox will have magically healed (or have been fixed by the shutdown and restart).

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
As for the Nvidia drivers, did you install all of them including the 3D stuff and HDMI audio? If so, you might want to uninstall and reinstall them the custom way with the clean install box checked. For AH you'd only need the drivers, nothing else, if you're using a single monitor. Even the control panel is unnecessary since AH has been designed for default settings being adjusted from within the game.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 10:02:43 AM »
For the microphone issue:

In the game, set the "V" channel to your game ID, to test with.
Check the Options->Game Sounds panel to make sure the correct device is selected for the microphone.

Test by talking (pressing and holding T or F12, if those are still the default for your configuration).  If you do not hear it echoed back, and the microphone works in Windows, then it could be a network issue.  Try power cycling your Internet router.  If there is a firewall in play, make sure UDP is allowed through it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 06:19:53 PM »
For the microphone issue:

In the game, set the "V" channel to your game ID, to test with.
Check the Options->Game Sounds panel to make sure the correct device is selected for the microphone.

Test by talking (pressing and holding T or F12, if those are still the default for your configuration). 

Last night I had already tested by tuning to myself. My name showed up on the screen and I heard the beep but not my voice.  I logged on a few minutes ago and it worked fine. I could hear myself, although I didn't change anything. This confirms my long standing belief that a reboot fixes most computer problems.

Thanks for the help and advice (not being sarcastic, I do appreciate it)

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 06:24:13 PM »
As for the Nvidia drivers, did you install all of them including the 3D stuff and HDMI audio? If so, you might want to uninstall and reinstall them the custom way with the clean install box checked. For AH you'd only need the drivers, nothing else, if you're using a single monitor. Even the control panel is unnecessary since AH has been designed for default settings being adjusted from within the game.

Yup, I installed it all. I've since learned that it would have been better not to. But in the absence of problems, I haven't wanted to bother with going back and doing it right. Who knows if this contributed to my recent problems but I think will follow your advice. You are always cautioning that you're not a professional but, if not, you seem to have the expertise of one.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 06:01:11 AM »
Last night I had already tested by tuning to myself. My name showed up on the screen and I heard the beep but not my voice.  I logged on a few minutes ago and it worked fine. I could hear myself, although I didn't change anything. This confirms my long standing belief that a reboot fixes most computer problems.

Thanks for the help and advice (not being sarcastic, I do appreciate it)

I find the inconsistency disturbing.  Some programs do leave things in unknown states when they exit, which could explain it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese