Author Topic: Late sound and Lag during vox communications  (Read 1570 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Late sound and Lag during vox communications
« on: March 05, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »
Sound seems to travel a lot slower in AH3 then it did in AH2 and I also get a freeze frame every time I key up my mic.

Is there anything I can do to help with this issue??

Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Speakers / Headphones (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_1028048F&REV_1001
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: stwrt64.sys
         Driver Version: 6.10.6320.0000 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 1/6/2011 12:00:00 AM, 520192 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: IDT
         HW Accel Level: Basic
              Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

Description: Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_111D&DEV_7675&SUBSYS_1028048F&REV_1001
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 1/6/2011 12:00:00 AM, 520192 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: IDT
         HW Accel Level: Basic
              Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
            Description: Microphone (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
  Default Sound Capture: Yes
  Default Voice Capture: Yes
          Date and Size: 3/21/2011 18:48:16, 520192 bytes
              Cap Flags: 0x1
           Format Flags: 0xFFFFF

Description: HDMI In (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC)
  Default Sound Capture: No
  Default Voice Capture: No
          Date and Size: 3/21/2011 18:48:16, 520192 bytes
              Cap Flags: 0x1
           Format Flags: 0xFFFFF
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Late sound and Lag during vox communications
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 05:36:22 AM »
Start by trying to find new drivers for your audio device. That may not be an easy task since "Notice: IDT’s AC97, HD Audio and Consumer audio codecs are now being sold and supported by Tempo Semiconductor, Inc."  and on Tempo Semiconductor they say that they don't provide drivers to others than their OEM manufacturer partners who are listed here: https://temposemi.com/products/faq/#oem.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Trainee

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 09:54:10 AM »
Interested in where this thread goes as I get the same. Lag/frame stutter every time I key up in game vox. Also I have to .resetv constantly. Always get the "we can see you key up but can't hear you" from other player's.
Trainee
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"Step aside Butch..."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 09:57:19 AM »
Interested in where this thread goes as I get the same. Lag/frame stutter every time I key up in game vox. Also I have to .resetv constantly. Always get the "we can see you key up but can't hear you" from other player's.
I never used to have the issue in AH2 or in the BETA but as soon as AH3 released I got the issue and it's getting to the point it's making me not want to play....also makes hosting KOTH difficult because I'm not sure if I'm transmitting every time.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
A lot of problems with VOX can be related to network issues.  UDP packet loss will cause VOX issues.

1)  If you are on a wireless connection, then VOX is probably not going to work well.
2)  If your Internet connection between your computer and the servers is congested, then VOX is probably not going to work well.
3)  A number of anti-xxxx programs will interfere with VOX and simply "disabling" them may not correct the problems.
4)  If you are using a USB microphone and have a lot of traffic on the USB hub, from other devices, VOX may not work well.
5)  If you have not power cycled your router in a while, then VOX may not work very well.
6)  If there are any resource related issues with the network, then it can cause VOX problems too.

Those are some of the main issues with VOX problems.  There are others.

Junky, I have never heard of that sound card.  The driver sure is old.  Are you running Windows 10 on that computer?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 10:01:29 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
Thanks for the reply Skuzzy....my voice communications and sound work in every other game I play and any voice communication system I use (discord, teamspeak, skype)....I'll mess with it today and see if I can figure it out.

I also get trigger warps....I pull the trigger and my screen skips a bit (probably why my aim had gone from top 30 to out of top 100 in the last year)
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »
It does not matter about those other applications as they use TCP protocols, not UDP.  TCP allows for automatic retries of lost packets.  A lost UDP packet is lost forever.

We use that protocol as it is a low impact network protocol.  Much lower than TCP, but that is the trade-off.

Then there are the anti-xxx programs which clobber UDP.

Have you run Ping Plotter to the server to see if there is a network issue?  Ping Plotter used to be able to use UDP as an option.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
It does not matter about those other applications as they use TCP protocols, not UDP.  TCP allows for automatic retries of lost packets.  A lost UDP packet is lost forever.

We use that protocol as it is a low impact network protocol.  Much lower than TCP, but that is the trade-off.

Then there are the anti-xxx programs which clobber UDP.

Have you run Ping Plotter to the server to see if there is a network issue?  Ping Plotter used to be able to use UDP as an option.
I'll try when I get to my computer
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Trainee

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 12:01:18 PM »

Skuzzy I have downloaded and installed Ping Plotter from the site you recommended in a previous thread.  What do you recommend for interval and focus settings on this?  BTW I am not an IT guy at all. lol  I ran it once with the interval set to 30 min and focus all and 35.1ms is what I got the first time for the round trip, Min:33.8, Cur: 33.8 to and from IP 71.252.137.154.  Afterwards I am inclined to believe the interval is how often it pings your servers?? Think I should shorten that interval and run it again?

I am using ATT Uverse for internet and am hard wired running Win7 64bit. DXDIAG attached.

UPDATE: Ran Ping Plotter again to IP 71.252.137.153 (MA and SEA 1) 2 min interval results Av:32.4,Min:31.8,Cur:32.1 Appears to be 0 PL. this looks to be within your parameters in a previous thread (under 300).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:50:53 PM by Trainee »
Trainee
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"Step aside Butch..."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 06:01:01 AM »
Packet loss is what you are looking for.  Have it run, at least, 2 minutes after a problem occurs.

Did you run that DXDIAG output after a fresh reboot, with no other applications running?  I ask, because your page file usage is way too high.

You might also consider checking to see if there is a newer driver for that sound chip.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 06:03:00 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Trainee

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
Did you run that DXDIAG output after a fresh reboot, with no other applications running?  I ask, because your page file usage is way too high.

You might also consider checking to see if there is a newer driver for that sound chip.

No sir I did not reboot prior to the DXDIAG, that is one thing I am having trouble figuring out is which programs I can close without killing the system.  I am sure this has been beat to death somewhere but with Win7 I have about 96 processes running when I look at task manager. XP was never like that for me anyway I could always trim it down.  A lot of it is the bloated junk that Dell puts on these at the factory I am sure. Common sense can tell me some that I can close but when I get down to about 50 or so it is like playing minesweeper. Hit the wrong one and poof reboot!  :headscratch: Wish there was a list somewhere of what you can kill and you can't to hit your target of 35-38 programs I saw in another post.
Windows says my sound drivers are the most current. ??
FWIW I did power cycle my router and that seemed to help a little.  Still had to do the .resetv but only once last night, still got a stutter when I first keyed up on range.  Seems to only be an issue when using range channel.  Squad channels and of course Ventrilo seem rock solid.
Trainee
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"Step aside Butch..."

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
Whoa!  96?!??!

Windows 7 is usually around 35 to 38 processes, after a clean install.

The best way to clean it up is to take the time to Google each process name, and then determine if you need that process running.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 05:28:54 PM »
So I can Spam the vox transmit button and make my frame rate drop to single digits. I have no clue, it only does it for Aces High...I went into H1Z1 spammed the voice key...no change...CSGO...no change...set teamspeak to push to talk while playing rocket league nothing...discord nothing.

The only program I can see any issue with voice communications.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 05:58:19 AM »
A 2.2Ghz mobile CPU is equivalent to a 1.8Ghz desktop.  The CPU is pretty slow and that sound device is still suspect.  So yes, your frame rate is going to suffer if you spam that sound device as it is 100% CPU driven.

You are running the game on a CPU which does not meet the minimum requirements for the game so yes, it will struggle, at times. There is a reason we have a minimum requirement.  You are aware complex flight modeling requires insane levels of math?  This translates to higher CPU demands.  It is the nature of the beast.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:06:20 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 10:25:12 AM »
A 2.2Ghz mobile CPU is equivalent to a 1.8Ghz desktop.  The CPU is pretty slow and that sound device is still suspect.  So yes, your frame rate is going to suffer if you spam that sound device as it is 100% CPU driven.

You are running the game on a CPU which does not meet the minimum requirements for the game so yes, it will struggle, at times. There is a reason we have a minimum requirement.  You are aware complex flight modeling requires insane levels of math?  This translates to higher CPU demands.  It is the nature of the beast.
Rgr, need to upgrade the system then.
DFC Member
"Yikes"