Author Topic: 4K--my opinion of it in AHIII  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: 4K--my opinion of it in AHIII
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 11:04:46 AM »
Good info Skuzzy.. next explanation to date. 

So basically going to be blind until near icon range :)   Ah well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In alpha they seemed to have tried some kind of "minimum dot size" implementation, but it got really weird when it went from a single dot to a rendered plane.  You'd see something at 10k, then around 8k (numbers are guesses) the plane would start to render and basically vanish from your screen.

I see the challenges they're up against.  I think it might still be worth it to give an option to set the minimum dot size.  Basically having the right equipment gives you more or less the same help, why not give everybody the option to get the advantage?  Especially when most people are moving toward the latest and greatest which actually puts them at a disadvantage in most cases.  The way people in the MA fly, seeing dots beyond icon range is a minimal advantage anyways.  Much less than say, having a triplehead setup.

One thing I've never liked about looking for dots is, I don't feel your hardware or your ability to set up your video settings should be the difference between visible enemy and invisible enemy.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
If you want to slow the transition to a single pixel, you might try reducing your FOV.  I am not 100% certain this will help, but it might be worth a shot if dot size is important to you.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 11:22:15 AM »
In alpha they seemed to have tried some kind of "minimum dot size" implementation, but it got really weird when it went from a single dot to a rendered plane.  You'd see something at 10k, then around 8k (numbers are guesses) the plane would start to render and basically vanish from your screen.

I see the challenges they're up against.  I think it might still be worth it to give an option to set the minimum dot size.  Basically having the right equipment gives you more or less the same help, why not give everybody the option to get the advantage?  Especially when most people are moving toward the latest and greatest which actually puts them at a disadvantage in most cases.  The way people in the MA fly, seeing dots beyond icon range is a minimal advantage anyways.  Much less than say, having a triplehead setup.

One thing I've never liked about looking for dots is, I don't feel your hardware or your ability to set up your video settings should be the difference between visible enemy and invisible enemy.

Wiley.

I remember the disappearing planes...you would think they were going the other way...then ICON!!

Not going to give up FOV for dot size:)

I was thinking if 1080p was 1/4 size of 4K then it would be as easy as just changing the number of pixels in higher resolution to achieve parity.  Skuzzy pointed out differing pixel size, so it's not as easy as that. Appreciate all the discussion...now a little smarter:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2017, 11:39:57 PM »
I've had both 2k and 4k Gsync gaming monitors for 2 years now, the 4k is a 28" Acer, the 2ks are 27 and 34" Asus ROGs. 

I still play at 1080p, for me it isn't so much about the dot size, although that's part of it, it's more about the appearance and size of the targets while fighting - they are just harder to hit.  I remember back at a con when Drex famously switched his resolution from the common 1024 most were using back then to 800x600, and his reason was the same - "it's easier to hit targets".  I find the same thing happening when going from 4k, and even 1440p, to 1080p.  While the game looks incredible at the higher resolutions, it doesn't play as competitively, at least for me.

Just picked up the first 144hz Gsync 4k monitor, it's 27" unfortunately - I'm hoping Asus figures out how to make 144hz work with their 34/35" sized panels @4k, while it'll take a 1080ti/sli setup to run it in many games, I'm hoping it'll be more playable in AH3 while in 4k for me.  That's when I'm not using the Rift at least, which I find fun, but I'm going back to LCD frequently I find lately.

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2017, 10:02:41 AM »
If you want to slow the transition to a single pixel, you might try reducing your FOV.  I am not 100% certain this will help, but it might be worth a shot if dot size is important to you.

Its not the size of the dot tgat matters skuzzy , its how you use it  :cheers:
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok