Author Topic: PBY  (Read 1645 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: PBY
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2017, 03:44:23 PM »
The PBY would be one of those additions like the P-47M and storch where Hitech tells Waffle to do it, and it shows up in a patch along side of something really sexy. In the MA they would be free kills for guys on their first day in the game. But, a small number of dedicated guys would find ways to be successful with them. For scenarios, they would still be free scooby snacks for fighters and even some bombers. And take forever to get anywhere. But, some one would still volunteer.

As for useful in the MA's kind of game play, the FW 189, J3 Cub, Po-2 and Lysander would be more useful supporting tanks against tanks.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
again this is not a console game, I don't think they can do this picking up a pilot thing--besides it's hard to get people to resupply a town what makes you think they gonna pickup a pilot-the sharks will get him first, lol
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
Why do we need to make CVs easier to spot? Its not as though they last long after they begin to get used. TBH I can't see that many players would sit bobbing around in the ocean waiting for someone to pick them up and then wait yet more time while their rescuer's plane returns to base before getting to fly again. Its the sort of thing that would get used a few times for its novelty and then forgotten about.

The only real advantage a flying boat would have over a land plane in the MA would be if it were given the ability to launch from ports, coastal V bases, or for the A6M2-N from fleets after the CV is down. Given the constricted airspace of the MA though, its still hard to see why anyone would choose one over a better performing land or carrier-based alternative. The exception might be the H8K Emily which had both respectable performance and a good defensive armament compared to many land based bombers.

+1

C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
P47-m and the storch were needed.  the PBY or any plane similar are not needed. we already have bombers that drop torpedoes and bombers-the PBY would be the King of the hanger Queens, would  be more clutter in the Hanger. it's simply not needed.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »
I would fly it.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
after a month the newness will wear off, the countless deaths in it. it will become a hanger queen

Offline DeadStik

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2017, 06:09:34 PM »
If it makes historical sense that it could carry some troops people would definitely use it. I'd pick a PBY over an LVT any day of the week. Not sure that makes sense for it to carry troops though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dedstick

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
I can't argue for or against its popularity but my guess is is that it would be well-loved by a small group of jocks.

It will have the ability to be parked on the water, which not other plane can do. Will this feature open up the game in any way?

Mutha

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2017, 10:15:46 AM »
the PBY is not needed ..

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
I can't argue for or against its popularity but my guess is is that it would be well-loved by a small group of jocks.

It will have the ability to be parked on the water, which not other plane can do. Will this feature open up the game in any way?

Mutha

Can you imagine an Air Sea Rescue PBY hiding offshore to pick up downed pilots?   I would be all over that.

"Vraciu rescued five airmen in a PBY-5A."
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
I can imagine someone wanting to pick up downed players in a PBY I just can't imagine anyone waiting around in the water to be picked up and flown home.

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2017, 01:29:30 PM »
I can imagine someone wanting to pick up downed players in a PBY I just can't imagine anyone waiting around in the water to be picked up and flown home.

There'd have to be a reason for being picked up, such as keeping a perk plane, or points.

I'd wait in the water, or on land.  Heck, I'd even swim/walk, but I'm the kind of guy who quits the camp when I get killed.

Mutha

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2017, 02:18:45 PM »
There'd have to be a reason for being picked up, such as keeping a perk plane, or points.

I'd wait in the water, or on land.  Heck, I'd even swim/walk, but I'm the kind of guy who quits the camp when I get killed.

Mutha
Any reward that made it worth waiting for a PBY, or any other rescue, would be bad for the game.  The whole time you are waiting you are not participating in the fighting, and for the most part your rescuer is also not participating in the fighting.  There are too few in the game as it is, nothing should be done to encourage players to self remove from the game.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mutha

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2017, 02:44:36 PM »
Any reward that made it worth waiting for a PBY, or any other rescue, would be bad for the game.  The whole time you are waiting you are not participating in the fighting, and for the most part your rescuer is also not participating in the fighting.  There are too few in the game as it is, nothing should be done to encourage players to self remove from the game.

Normally I'd agree with you, but I think that in this case it could actually add to the excitement of the game. If a PBY were going in to pick up a downed pilot, and in doing so, something great would happen for the rescued side, the enemy would be hell bent on blasting the PBY, so the PBY would need high cover.  It would be pretty exciting!

I just don't know what that "something great" would be if the PBY recovers the pilot.

Also, if that "something great" thing is so great it would cause dozens of downed pilots to choose bobbing around in the water to reupping, that would ruin the game.

Mutha
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 02:46:42 PM by mutha »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2017, 02:45:05 PM »
This is like women buying jewelry. Any new jewelry is always a good idea even if it is worn once and lives the rest of it's days in a jewelry box. Very few will fly very far to pick someone up and very few will wait to be picked up over that time period because they will be wasting their precious play time. More will try to use it's weapons capabilities to achieve their name in the text buffer.

This is the kind of ride that shows up one day with a new patch for good or bad.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.