Author Topic: If you consider yourself a Top Stick in the game...  (Read 13152 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: If you consider yourself a Top Stick in the game...
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2017, 04:13:01 AM »
Would you not think that if something was wrong that hitech would have addressed the problem and fixed it by now?

yes...I am being a cynical bastid!!!  :D

I think the cynical person would say that even if there was an issue over many many years you would never hear hitech admit to anything but perfection.  It is what separates him from the other games, sorry simulations, of the era.  He will steadfastly tell you he is correct no matter what.  And if he will not come out and say it, FLS will chime in with a 1 line comment that is a much use as a chocolate fireplace.  Of course that is if you are a cynical person.

Since I am not such a person I would say the flight models are perfect sir and never in need of changing.  All patches are to enhance the game and never ever to fix anything....ever....sir.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2017, 05:02:13 AM »
I am a firm believer of the UF4UO... but the point you bought up about pilot reports is as you anecdotal purely for the reason of flight time comparisons.... had a real pilot had as much flight time as some of the sticks in this game the abilities show could possibly have been recorded as such....

The only caveat to that being that some AH aircraft, such as the earlier Fw190s do have qualitively difficult flight characteristics modelled at the point of departure. From what Widewing recounted I got the impression the F4U ought to be more toward that end of the spectrum.

Probably impractical to change it now anyway. Just a shame some other aircraft can't be more charitably modelled as well in other areas. For balance.

“everyone  deserves a 2nd chance”. Dale ‘HiTech’ Adink - 16th November 2023

"The game has disintegrated into a maelstrom of ill will, of which I choose not to participate in" - A wise AH player

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2017, 07:09:51 AM »
LOL just stuck my head in to see if anything has changed the past couple of years.. Nope.  :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2017, 10:06:19 AM »
LOL just stuck my head in to see if anything has changed the past couple of years.. Nope.  :D

...Something's have brother.  :aok

Get back!

<S>
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »
Sometimes I am in a jet ...

now you're just bragging. I wish I had enough perks to buy a jet. :bolt:

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2017, 01:16:48 PM »
... had a real pilot had as much flight time as some of the sticks in this game the abilities show could possibly have been recorded as such....

Junky, shida, pipz, rabbit, Tequila, et al... -->SPKmes hit on the nail on the head with this comment.

If Aces High can be used a perhaps the premiere avionics engineering test platform for WWII planes  (and IMHO, it's right up there with DCS), here's a fact that most of us can't ignore...
Some of us here have more time in cockpit flying the variants of our favourite rides the past 18 years that any pilot during WWII.

And while Aces High is not perfect - it doesn't simulate part failures, other environmental conditions that impact flying, or does it take into account pilot fatigue, being able to do loops with bombs attached, it's pretty dang good for what it does - provide us an environment to fly aircraft from the WWII period with a wide range of abilities and characteristics modelled into this game.

For example, I've flown the P-51 for 18 years here in Aces High since Beta1. I know how it acts, i know how it stalls, I know how to maximize a climb out heavy, and the same goes for other variants I've flown.  The 109-G2/F4, 190-D9, Tiffy, the Yak-9, F6F, F4U-1D, and the P-47D-40. I've flown these birds for years when they were first introduced here. And some of you have thousands of hours per aircraft. i.e. Tequila and pipz probably have more hours than any WWII pilot ever accumulated in a single variant.

My point is this - it does make us experts in the flying characteristics of many of these aircraft in this environment.  And when someone with experience in a variant says 'it's fine' - believe it. It may not be 100% realistic, but with respect to Aces High, give credit where credit is due. When Ack-Ack, Pipz, or Tequila says the model is fine...it is.  Just saying.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:20:02 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:57 PM »
When Ack-Ack, Pipz, or Tequila says the model is fine...it is.  Just saying.

Haven't been on this forum for a while, and already a strangely familiar Twilight Zone feeling is upon me  :rofl

That 'fact' isn't relevant when discussing a qualitive disparity in flight modelling with the real world. The performance or limitations of AH in general is besides the point. Differences in stall characeristics are, after all, readily apparent between AH aircraft.

"The game has disintegrated into a maelstrom of ill will, of which I choose not to participate in" - A wise AH player

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »
Haven't been on this forum for a while, and already a strangely familiar Twilight Zone feeling is upon me  :rofl

That 'fact' isn't relevant when discussing a qualitive disparity in flight modelling with the real world. The performance or limitations of AH in general is besides the point. Differences in stall characeristics are, after all, readily apparent between AH aircraft.

The problem is, I highly doubt there was a single instance of a guy with a metric buttload of hours in it flying an F4U IRL anywhere near to how people stallfight it in here.  Seems to me about the only reliable thing anybody has to go on is math.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »
When Ack-Ack, Pipz, or Tequila says the model is fine...it is.  Just saying.

Have they flown these airplanes? I'm sure akak has done his reserch, but this post was absolutly obsurd.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
Hey Fork,
When Tongs posted regarding the difference in how many flight hours real life pilots had in any particular airframe compared to the massive amount of hours, us wannabe fighter pilots might have, did don on me, while I was typing out my previous post....

Had the real life pilots had the ability to have access to today's technology, or even had access to flight simulators available to them back in WWII, like what I had the opportunity to practice in back in the 1980's, I could see where they would have the ability to practice/train repeatedly without fear of loss of life.....and would have been able to push the boundaries of a particular plane's flight envelope....

With regards to hitech and his desire to have the most accurate flight modeling for his flight simulator/aircombat game.... he never has claimed that everything is perfect and hitech has always welcomed all comers to present fact proven evidence that there might be a problem or something off with any certain plane's flight modeling/performance/characteristics..... if fact based proof is offered/presented, hitech would be first in line to address and fix the discrepancy....

TC
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:05:19 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2017, 04:04:49 PM »
Who said the Corsair has limited visibility? Bahahhahahahahhahah If ya buy that I have a bridge to sell you. He best been talkin bout the birdcage hog and not the 1A,C,U4. The ones we always see. Not only is the visibility good the gunsight is placed in a excellent position.
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
. When Ack-Ack, Pipz, or Tequila says the model is fine...it is.  Just saying.

OMG. Thanks but no! I would never compare the time I kill in this game with someone operating a real piece of equipment in the real world. Just because I watch NASCAR on tv doesn't mean I can do it!
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2017, 04:08:40 PM »
The problem is, I highly doubt there was a single instance of a guy with a metric buttload of hours in it flying an F4U IRL anywhere near to how people stallfight it in here.  Seems to me about the only reliable thing anybody has to go on is math.

Wiley.

Are you saying that the long-term AH players are ruining realism? Those barstards (actually, I'm now one of those barstards). I do see your point, however I've been supposing an experienced real-life airshow pilot can tulips and describe the stall characteristics in a similar way to how you can feel what a car will do at the limit of traction. That usually only takes matter of minutes, absence of policemen and twisty road-availability permitting   :D

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2017, 04:11:52 PM »
if fact based proof is offered/presented, hitech would be first in line to address and fix the discrepancy....

But what about evidence?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
Are you saying that the long-term AH players are ruining realism? Those barstards (actually, I'm now one of those barstards). I do see your point, however I've been supposing an experienced real-life airshow pilot can tulips and describe the stall characteristics in a similar way to how you can feel what a car will do at the limit of traction. That usually only takes matter of minutes, absence of policemen and twisty road-availability permitting   :D

I don't think they're ruining anything.  It's just the simple fact that in here, if you give the plane the same control inputs under the same conditions in game, you'll get exactly the same result because it's all based on math.  In the real world, there are a gabillion more variables that make it less predictable and therefore less easy to ride the absolute edge.

Yeah, I see what you're saying about the car thing, lord knows I've experimented with physics on some back roads now and again. ;)  But even still, an airshow pilot or guy in his car's still got the whole "self preservation" thing as well as the whole, "might damage the vehicle doing something ridiculous" thing going on in his head and is probably not going to be doing that sort of thing as often as we do in here.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11