Author Topic: Learning to bomb  (Read 2204 times)

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
Learning to bomb
« on: April 06, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »
When I go to the Training Arena and practice bombing, I am not causing damage.  Its the same as flying offline against the drone airfield I cannot cause damage so what settings do I need to enable it? I had been trying for a long time to learn and just recently found out that I could warp to the target just a week ago so is there some help file on this?
I launch as a Knight using NE to warp to target Rook Fields. I cannot shoot ack out or cause any damage with rockets or bombs.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:11:58 AM by yipi »

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Learning to bomb
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 11:24:16 AM »
When I go to the Training Arena and practice bombing, I am not causing damage.  Its the same as flying offline against the drone airfield I cannot cause damage so what settings do I need to enable it? I had been trying for a long time to learn and just recently found out that I could warp to the target just a week ago so is there some help file on this?
I launch as a Knight using NE to warp to target Rook Fields. I cannot shoot ack out or cause any damage with rockets or bombs.

That is correct, you do not do damage but you can still see where your bomb hits.  This is how the arena is set up allowing you and others to practice on the same target over and over again.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
Ok so what advice can I get on how to learn to bomb? I can not learn what bombs, rockets guns cause knock out particular targets. I do not want to spend time flying to a target so I like the warp feature. What do I need to do 'is it a staged mission etc that I need to do to get what I want? I have a lot of question about what it takes to knock out certain things. What can kill a tank? rockets, cannons bombs or what kills radar? is there a help file on this?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:53:33 AM by yipi »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
bombing targets in the training arena work, they just rebuild in a second. When you hit destroyed objects will still be listed in your text so you can see how well you hit. remeber bombs have splash damage. dropping 1 bomb on a town block will take out many building. this is how you can have a hit percentage over 100%

offlin, you can adjust the settingsor the training arena so that the damage stay down longer so you can se how you hit.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »
Yipi, I'm not sure about "help files".  The best help I have found is to do what you are doing and ask questions here and in the game.  We all love this game and most of your fellow players are more than willing to help.

And BTW, if I haven't said it before, welcome to the game, it's great to have you here.

:salute

Yipi is my friend :)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »
In the offline make the objects set to be destroyed, unfortunelatey I cant remember the setting to change
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »
Thanks I really enjoy this Sim. I am terrible about learning new stuff 'just plain lazy' What I want to do is launch offline like where I shoot the drones but instead be able to warp to Enemy bases and bomb them so I can practice what kills the targets. Be nice if they had tanks, etc on field that I could hit also.

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »
I will go try the object destroyed stuff

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »

Set the training terrain, ahta08, as your offline or custom terrain.

Go to clipboard/options/arena settings/environment/arena setup.

Select the Weapons tab and set all 3 planegunlethality and weaponlethality settings to 1.0.

Select the General tab and set any flightmodeflags you want on. Also set the downtimemult to 0.01 or 0.001 for a fast rebuild of your target. Set it to 1.0 for normal rebuild time.

These handy charts were posted in a recent thread.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 04:25:10 PM by FLS »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
Here are some basics

A hanger in a dive bomb takes six rockets and two 1,000 pound bombs.

Radar takes 4 rockets.

Ords take 3 rockets.  Town buildings take two rockets each

Gun on the field and town take one rocket.

Kill a tank with a well dropped 500 pounder, Use a 1000 to be sure.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
See the staged mission forum.  There are a number of staged missions where you spawn in air near an enemy base or fleet in a heavy fighter or bomber, both land and sea targets.  One of my posts has a list of staged missions, although it has not been updated in months so there are more missions available than listed.

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 07:22:24 PM »
Lots of good information! Thanks a lot

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:18:29 PM »
  I use the offline practice arena to practice bombing.  As far as I know, you don't have to make any special adjustments.  I didn't.  The one adjustment I made was to turn on Airshow Smoke, because I think it looks cool when I buzz the tower.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 09:33:43 PM »
These handy charts were posted in a recent thread.

Thanks for that, FLS.

- oldman

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:23 PM »
Yipi, 

When bombing from the bombsight, two important things are needed.

1.  Setting the number of bombs dropped from each bomber in the formation when you press the bomb release button by typing:   .salvo 1 or 2 or 3 etc.  then hitting enter.

2.  Getting the best calibration possible before you release your bombs on the target.  Players use various methods, but I have found what works best for me. 

a.  First I open the bomb bay doors and hit auto pilot to level out.  Do this well before you reach target to give you enough time to get ready to drop bombs.

b.  Pull up clipboard and click on the E6B tab.  You want the climb # to be a stable 0.  If it is a + number, then draw back the throttle slowly to get to 0.

c.  Go into bomb bay view by hitting F6, hit the u key, then the y key and hold down for over 3 seconds.  The longer you hold the y key, the better the calibration, then release the y key and hit the u key again.  The calibrated and actual altitude and speed should remain the same.  If I see the altitude has changed after calibration, I will recalibrate.  Stay in F6 mode and adjust your target line by moving your joystick slightly right or left.  I usually try to line up visually before I calibrate in F4 mode so I have only slight corrections to make.  Also, staying in F6 mode keeps your formation flying level and has little effect on your stable 0 climb.  Release bombs when crosshairs on target.

d.  You can adjust the delay, but I find the default setting just fine for most purposes.

e.  While in bombers, F5 is your friend.  It allows to look around for bad guys approaching using the hat switch to look around.  You can hit F1 to go back to cockpit or F6 to bomb sight.

If you want a little more help, just holler at me in the game. 

Whatever bomber you are in, get to know the gun position numbers so you can switch quickly to nail the bad guy going by on his or her pass on you.

one-eye
"One-Eye"