Author Topic: basic layout  (Read 4117 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: basic layout
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 01:48:23 PM »
Keep going and get this thing in for review by Hitech. Just remember, everything works out and it gets into rotation, you will be surprised like I was just how it does not get played on the way you envisioned. You really need a few more ready to go, it will last about as long as a slice of cooked bacon when the cook asks for tasting volunteers at a redneck beer and BBQ weekend festival.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
A question, do you intend to put gv spawns into the strats?  I am hoping you don't, but you are the one building the map. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 02:47:04 PM »
A question, do you intend to put gv spawns into the strats?  I am hoping you don't, but you are the one building the map. :headscratch:

No, airfields are plenty close for resupply

Chuikov

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 03:07:49 PM »

No, airfields are plenty close for resupply

I think you should put GV spawns for only 2 of the countries strats. 49Dundee would love it! :devil
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
i assume the gv spawns for the east/ south east are not installed yet.
i am a bit shy about only two airfields on the front line as avenues for battle, a 51 backing up a52 is nice but if these two fields are lost half the war is about lost.
the east hq is cv and battleship vulnerable. the nearby airfield a61, if lost, could be a public relations nightmare.
as was said before all the water on the front lines can stagnate play.

Looks nice.

:salute

ps. a spawn to a25 would be nice. but this has been done over and over.  the island idea could be a nice vacation spot until the big bad navy shows up again.  :devil
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:34:40 PM by NatCigg »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
If you need to increase the number of bases for 20%, you have room for one more airfield in each country. It will be the minimum of 19miles from the nearest airfields in all three countries. Enable the circle from the CBM, and configure it to 19miles and you will see what I'm talking about. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 04:32:17 PM »
I like the not round shape (pizza, Oreo, grapefruit), to me and I can only imagine how much work goes into them but round looks cartoonish. 

Think of the old AW maps
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 05:14:01 PM »
If you need to increase the number of bases for 20%, you have room for one more airfield in each country. It will be the minimum of 19miles from the nearest airfields in all three countries. Enable the circle from the CBM, and configure it to 19miles and you will see what I'm talking about.

I will mess with that this evening, I am shooting for a total of 24 fields not counting task groups,

Chuikov

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »

a few changes

Chuikov

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
what's with all the strats together in 1 spot--it's a bomber pilots dream. they need to be spread out. you know whats gonna happen if you leave strats as they are. 2v1 against knights-pure and simple.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 12:00:04 PM »
Given the short ranges to the strats, I think a clustered arrangement might concentrate the puffy ack enough to deter solo milk runners and encourage mass missions into the strat area.

I'd like to see the radar strat in the center of the cluster so that there is no open route to hit it.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
Given the short ranges to the strats, I think a clustered arrangement might concentrate the puffy ack enough to deter solo milk runners and encourage mass missions into the strat area.

I'd like to see the radar strat in the center of the cluster so that there is no open route to hit it.

That's the whole concept.
A. There will almost complete radar coverage of each specific main continent. A single set of "Milk Runners" will be decimated.
B. I have yet to tinker with the cloud editor, but I would like in add a 25k cloud deck to the strat areas.
C. I have not yet added the flak bases. Addition of them will be contingent upon the ferocity of the puffy as it is. When I get time I will venture a set of 17's to the strats for feed back,
D. I think I may change the altitude of the large field near strats to 5 or 6k.

Chuikov

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
what's with all the strats together in 1 spot--it's a bomber pilots dream. they need to be spread out. you know whats gonna happen if you leave strats as they are. 2v1 against knights-pure and simple.

A 10x10 terrain is half the size of most terrains you are used to. He has no place to put them in the land configuration he has chosen. If two of the countries decide to ignore each other, the third is screwed all night. It will be very hard to mount a counter offensive across those bays to get onto another country's land at that point. It will be a great furballing map while the none furballers quickly reach the 20% of two countries to flip the map. Three or four more this size in the queue would keep the activity levels high during the week as the none furballers would look forward to the race to flip each map. It might improve a country's chances of getting across the bay if those islands that are GV only were turned into two small airfields. And they had spawns to the mainlands. The map looks like an attempt to promote air combat while corralling GVers out of the way. They responded to that rational on my terrain by upping bombers and c47's and taking the furballing bases to help the furballers win the furball......... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »
what's with all the strats together in 1 spot--it's a bomber pilots dream.

And so it is for bomber killers. You can take off in advance and patrol in the middle of the strats.
Or just wait in the tower to launch your 163...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
Very cool to see a new map in progress.   :aok

As others have suggested, have you considered duplicating the three country layouts for symmetry?  Might keep the complaining down to a dull roar.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?