Author Topic: basic layout  (Read 4118 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Re: basic layout
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »
I want A1,A2,A3 neutral base at start, like air warrior.
(Image removed from quote.)

free for all capture the base.  wow what a interesting idea.  this could help with our log off problem when a war ends. ... maybe not. but i still like the land grab concept.  :aok

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »
Seeing as I can't post any kind of analysis of the map.

I will just have to explain:

"Tank/Fighter-town" is a detrimental design for the game and maps in general. Instead of secluding the bread and butter of the action to overly repetitive landscapes, the whole map should be made to the same/most intensity to counteract the lower player count compared to earlier years, which inspired many modern maps, as well as the hopes of instantly finding a fight upon logging in.

I would draw a design to demonstrate a better approach, but I can't even use the mapping tools (it is too unintuitive), which is a shame.

If only the map making were easier, we would be drowning in different experiences!

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2017, 03:58:53 PM »
I like it ..
Just an observation.. dont want anyone in particular to be counting map rotation randomness.. but NE country is lacking a river system like the others have..
you know .. for those long pt runs..etc..
like I said ..just an observation
<S>Jimmy
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
If only the map making were easier, we would be drowning in different experiences!

I did make some quicky tutorials a while back for a friend, it's really not that terribly hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIrc6uIZk8

and this one for realistic terrains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp2sHojjRGQ

These aren't comprehensive but should be enough to get you started in there.
You'll also find the Terrain folks very helpful and nice and willing to answer questions.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:13:42 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »

I did make some quicky tutorials a while back for a friend, it's really not that terribly hard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMIrc6uIZk8

and this one for realistic terrains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp2sHojjRGQ

These aren't comprehensive but should be enough to get you started in there.
You'll also find the Terrain folks very helpful and nice and willing to answer questions.

This is solid stuff.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2017, 05:55:39 PM »
Seeing as I can't post any kind of analysis of the map.

I will just have to explain:

"Tank/Fighter-town" is a detrimental design for the game and maps in general. Instead of secluding the bread and butter of the action to overly repetitive landscapes, the whole map should be made to the same/most intensity to counteract the lower player count compared to earlier years, which inspired many modern maps, as well as the hopes of instantly finding a fight upon logging in.

I would draw a design to demonstrate a better approach, but I can't even use the mapping tools (it is too unintuitive), which is a shame.

FIRST: Chris Way To Go!!

AAIK,

This frist screen shot below was drawn in Paint.Net as a 10 layered blueprint 4096x4096 file so I can overlay bases, base numbers, spawn lines, sector grids, even 25mile wide rings to help in base object layout. The work space in the terrain editor is 4096x4096 and imports heightmap files in RAW format to produce land and ocean in about 5 seconds. I took the base land 2D layer, exported it to a PNG 16bit grayscale and converted that to a RAW file which created this blueprint in the terrain editor.

The current terrain editor is as simple to use as MS Paint in Win7.

You need to lighten up and stop trying to punk people when you think you can get away with it. Skuzzy seems to be on to you based on the rule# you've been getting. If you have a superior design, open the terrain editor like Chris and Kanth have, then put it out here for the community. Or stop with the sanctimonious cheap shots because you have an anonymous identity.

Because the terrain editor will import raw files to produce your landscape, I got to this point in about two weeks including the time spent creating the blueprint. The terrain editor is a very simple tool requiring only pushing buttons to see what happens, and at the minimum the same amount of imagination to write your name in wet sand with your finger. I've seen Kanth's work and Chris's in this POST, both are blessed with abundant imagination. So, AAIK, show us your superior product.......

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2017, 07:02:04 AM »

Thanks, should be enough to get someone started from zero knowledge to tinkering.  :cheers:

The tool  that Artik made to create terrains using GIS data is kind of a big deal. I'm surprised folks aren't making more use of it. Maybe it can help get them started.

This is solid stuff.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »
Kanth tutorials are great, they got me started building a custom historic terrain for an event I am creating.

Very helpful, worth bookmarking.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2017, 09:57:01 AM »
bustr, I don't want to derail this thread, so I am not going to respond to your accusations of behaviour.