Author Topic: basic layout  (Read 4114 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: basic layout
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 01:03:03 PM »
You want Chuikov creating something different because his terrain could be the next big winner for promoting fast combat and overall activity levels. Players will remember and tell that story to others instead of grousing about lame play. I predict his map will play hot and fast for everyone who likes or hates it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
I am liking what I am Seeing Chuikov, Keep up the Great work  :aok
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 03:14:04 PM »
That's the whole concept.
A. There will almost complete radar coverage of each specific main continent. A single set of "Milk Runners" will be decimated.
B. I have yet to tinker with the cloud editor, but I would like in add a 25k cloud deck to the strat areas.
C. I have not yet added the flak bases. Addition of them will be contingent upon the ferocity of the puffy as it is. When I get time I will venture a set of 17's to the strats for feed back,
D. I think I may change the altitude of the large field near strats to 5 or 6k.
To respond to your first comment A, not every "milk runner" as yall call it or single set will be decimated. I thrive on runs like that. Especially ones that dont require an hour to get to. Throw 5 fighters at me while im at 20k and i take out 4 then come back at 25-30k  :devil

I love it when im intercepted  :cheers:

Edit: I want to rephrase that a little. I love a good challenge. I look for the difficult on bomber runs. It forces a player to adapt to adversity and hone ones skill. As far as this map goes single set attacks would be difficult just getting there at prime time hours but if you get there you haveplentyof targets to choose from. Throw me in a set of 29's with alt and im drawing a few players off the frontline to resup!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:51:59 PM by LocoMoto »

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 09:10:21 AM »
Will the 3 middle bases be uncapturable? With the crater wall surrounding them it would deter people from using them to launch bomber missions to the outer bases and it would remain a furball/TT area. Overall I think it looks good!

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
The crater wall has a base ridge line of around 10k with peaks ranging from
12-15k. The bases will be capturable but the only opposing gv spawn will be tank town which will be 3/4 sector from each center base. On top of that, you would have to drive a M3 damn near through the air field to reach town. I may be incorrect in this presumption, but I feel confident that any buff or heavy fighter in the center area will be dogmeat.

Chuikov

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 06:14:38 PM »
I like the not round shape (pizza, Oreo, grapefruit), to me and I can only imagine how much work goes into them but round looks cartoonish. 

Think of the old AW maps

There is only so much you can do to make all sides even. This one is not round but it is spokes without the round outside.

This is a very good start.

I commend Bustr for his terrain and the spurring of terrain building interest in others because of his good work.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 02:41:11 AM »
hear hear..

I likee :aok
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 04:31:07 PM »
Hey Chuikov, save often and save like your life depends on it. The auto save function seems to need some Hitech TLC at the moment. And if you are using the bulldozer tool, don't get into the middle of a rhythm pulling and pushing some large area of shaping and suddenly move the mouse off the work space on to the GUI boarder. The TE will error out and force you to close it down. I just lost 60 minutes of work across an arc 1\3 of 31,416 miles, 30 miles deep.

Save is your friend. :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
oh map makes and designers can we have some berms on some of the terrains you design-Pleasssssssssssseeeeeeeee
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
Hey Chuikov, save often and save like your life depends on it. The auto save function seems to need some Hitech TLC at the moment. And if you are using the bulldozer tool, don't get into the middle of a rhythm pulling and pushing some large area of shaping and suddenly move the mouse off the work space on to the GUI boarder. The TE will error out and force you to close it down. I just lost 60 minutes of work across an arc 1\3 of 31,416 miles, 30 miles deep.

Save is your friend. :O

I do a fair some of work in real life that requires one to save your work often, infact I can be anal enough to version my terrain ever so often.

Chuikov

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
oh map makes and designers can we have some berms on some of the terrains you design-Pleasssssssssssseeeeeeeee

I believe in AH2 the berms were included in the tiles, it looks as though in AH3 they don't. To add those by hand may get a bit time consuming, I will play w/it this evening.

Chuikov

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »
The smallest brush is 1\8 mile dia. I pulled small hills with the raise hill tool set to 1ft\sec and I believe what gets raised is the center cross points of each polygon crossing point. You can watch this by turning on "Wire Frame" as you pull hills. If you place the brush center of two groups adjacent to each other, you also raise the space in between. The closest you can get and have individual tiny hills is every other polygon intersection. So you are limited to small hills about every 1\4 mile. The berms on terrain editor standard objects like in the town and the tank town object are custom objects created by Waffle which have been standardized to those objects.

Part of why in the tank combat caldera on my terrain I put those 500ft galleries above the Pit. The whole area in the original iteration sloped like a bowl to the center and I tried to create berm like areas up in the gallery. You could try a 1\8 mile dia brush and the alt tool set to just bump a low cylinder up 25-50ft above ground level. That is not much different than using the raise hill set to 1 ft\sec. In the end the real test is to spawn next to one of these in a GV and look at them. They end up being clunky but, if they are for long range sniping, throw a few trees on top hopefully getting some near the edge if you do a cylinder, and smooth an access ramp.  If they are for playing peeka boo in tanks, they suck because the edge of the nearest cylinder has to be 1\8 mile away. Or a hill edge that far away for the "V" in between two hills. But, the taller you raise the two hills to deepen the "V", it starts raising up also creating a two tit sharp saddle back between the hill centers.

So for peeka-boo, it starts making sense the clutter tiles Waffle gave us, especially with the village tiles. Unless lunatic can convince Waffle AH3 will become a ghost town if he doesn't cut loose with some berm themed clutter tiles "ASAP".  Lunatic already threw out berms at me months ago, so I tested the feasibility in the farmland down in the tank crater Pit on my terrain during the final tweaking process.

I think the AvA guys have custom berm tiles but, custom objects and tiles are allowed in the AvA, versus the MA in which all objects and clutter tiles have to be standardized so some minority of players don't get hit with strange random issues. Maybe Waffle could create say a dozen boulders from 10ft dia up to 40ftdia that can be laid down in limited groups. Still, some joker would try to build a maze or something that he would know all the sweet spots in for months to win tank fights. Yet things like this are in the AvA for lunatic if he really wants them. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
Well, have the terrain complete. I tested taking one field so far and it worked fine, i need to test and move some of the spawn points, add shore batteries, and task groups.
One question, I was looking to add Battleship groups, but they seem to be unavailable, is there a newer version they i need to download?

Chuikov

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:25 PM »
I had to create a BB task group called BBtsg0.

You have the option to check show all objects, then look for the object BB. Lay down a BB and two DS support ships inside of a one mile square. Select all of them and save as a group called BBtsg0. Delete those after saving as a group, save from the file menu, then exit the TE and come back in, you will have a new group object. Lay it down and do the same setup as you do for a CV task group in terms of ownership, country, port and a maproom. Hitech has not stated my terrain was a one off for BBtsg0 orientation, so you can lay it down along with a CV task group associated to the same port. Unless he jumps in here and breaks both of our hearts.... :O

He says he reworked the BB so it has it's own integral hanger and O'club like the CV does. That is so when you go to the hanger you get the gun selection options. I was originally adding only the BB to the existing CV task group and Hitech asked me to create the BBtsg0 to separate the two.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 10:48:57 AM »
Well, it's about complete, all that needs to be done is to adjust a few spawn points, and add shore batteries. The only errors that I seem to be having pertains to map rooms associated with task groups. Once I figure that out, I ought to have it to htc next week maybe.

Chuikov