Author Topic: Ships don't show up in my film?  (Read 547 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Ships don't show up in my film?
« on: May 02, 2017, 08:55:20 AM »
I was a part of one of the most epic/exciting field defenses yesterday at A9, and had the presence of mind to start running film.   The situation was an all-out Bishop amphibious attack on the base, and I had grabbed an M4 and was on top of a hill overlooking the town.   It was nonstop action and shelling, and at one point the attack task force sailed by as close to shore as I have ever seen - the superstructures of the ships dwarfed the jungle tree line, and the ships guns just raked fire into the town.
LVTs were spawning on dry land, the fleet was so close ashore.   Players remarked how on their FEs the ships were actually sailing on the beach, on green land, heck one even noted the aircraft carrier on the runway.

When I go to look at my film however, I don't see the ships as close to shore as I saw them last night.   Is it a viewer bug?   Or was my FE fooled too, as to how close the ships were?   No mistake though, the LVTs were spawning on dry land, between the field and the town.

EDIT: I found 'em - had to use zoom to recreate the same view I had last night. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:54:16 AM by oboe »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ships don't show up in my film?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
I recorded a BB group with it's destroyer too close to shore, at first I thought the BB group had not been recorded. Took awhile of working with views to see it exactly where I saw it from the CV I was on. The perspective is shockingly different for some reason.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
Once I found it with the zoom feature of the film viewer, it looked as I remembered it.

Coupla problems though - the salvos from the ships were originating from empty water - not from the ships guns.  And the cruiser's main turrets seemed to lack gun barrels.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:38:35 PM »
You'll see the same issue if you film carrier landings. The ships are usually not in the same position they were in when you filmed.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »
I often see that even live in game, i.e. not the film viewer.  I'll see the carrier in one spot and it's associated planes spawning and taking off way out over open ocean, sometimes as much as 1 K yds away.  Same thing with the cruiser or battleship firing, shell traces sometimes originated far away from the ship's guns.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 07:21:59 AM »
The different issues with ships discribed in this thread have as far as I know always been in Aces High.  The new issue that I"ve noticed is the day/night issue, it is as if the viewer film version is on a different time cycle. Night does exist in the film viewer world. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 12:30:12 AM »
lag?
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."