Author Topic: Fight's On! Arena - Non-stop Air Combat  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fight's On! Arena - Non-stop Air Combat
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »
Had five or six players in there last night at various times. Lots of fun.

Inspired me to try to create a mission. It actually works too! Many thanks to mustng2 for his excellent tutorial on how to do it. I made a few mis-steps but it is pretty easy.

So tonight I'm going to run my Marianas Turkey Shoot. 8 v 8, F6Fs v A6M5. It's overwater on the Mindanao terrain. I've tried it online once, works about how I expected. Co-alt merge with about 1/2 mile separation between the two flights of 4 on each side.

Probably around 7 or 730 Central. Until I get tired.  ;)

I will be there if I get in soon enough.   :aok
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 09:12:18 AM »
Again, good fights and good fun. Lots of laughing on the radio. I like that.

Timed the mission I built; just under 3 minutes from Start button to the merge. I think that's about right but if anyone has suggestions, I'm open.

I did alter the display so that aircraft types are in the Mission load and added types to the actual historical squadron designations in the Populate section.

I also added two variations that use the same track and timing as the Marianas Turkey Shoot mission on the Mindanao map. There's a Clark Field engagement (still overwater; I was in a hurry last night) with P-40Es vs A6M2s (Philippines 1941).  The other is P-38Gs v Ki-61s (New Guinea 1943).

Should be up tonight again about 730 Central.

Many thanks to those that dropped in and made it a great evening!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
Hitech needs to ease off on the G for drones.   It's friggin' impossible to kill them without ganging. 

We should try 51Ds vs 109Gs. 

38s vs Nikis.   

Fun stuff.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 09:47:27 AM »
Yeah, I could knock out a P38 v Nikki on the same profile pretty quick. Historically though it looks like the F6F and the F4U were the more usual opponents. Might do that today.

I am going to do some Euro war stuff too. Unfortunately, Real Life is going to eat a lot of my day today and tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:51:02 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2017, 09:53:25 AM »
Yeah, I could knock out a P38 v Nikki on the same profile pretty quick. Historically though it looks like the F6F and the F4U were the more usual opponents. Might do that today.

I am going to do some Euro war stuff too. Unfortunately, Real Life is going to eat a lot of my day today and tomorrow.

Your call.  I was just thinking something other than a Zeke.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Last night I set up a P-38G v Ki-61 Tony on the same profile.

In these historical timeline type matches it's hard to get away from Zekes as it was the mainstay of both the Japanese Navy and Army air forces. I will do a Nikki matchup but again historically that was used mostly against the USN. Maybe v the F4U-4?

I will get away from historical matchups pretty soon but as I said I am new to making missions and new to the create arena deal. I'm learning. I know there's changes I want to make to Arena Settings. For instance, I think I'll reduce the icons to maybe just range since I'm doing Axis v Allied right now. Anyway, you know the matchup from the Populate Mission screen, so no need for ID icons.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 01:23:55 PM »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »
:headscratch:

IJN and IJA (Navy and Army) had their own respective airforces.  No different than the USN, and the USAAF.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
Sorry, I was quite aware of that. I was referring to the Zeke being a mainstay fighter for the Japanese Army.

“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
Sorry, I was quite aware of that. I was referring to the Zeke being a mainstay fighter for the Japanese Army.
Correct - it was used only by the IJN.  I have no reference of the IJA using the Zeke in any of my reference books (thousands of pages).
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2017, 06:37:17 PM »
Zekes as it was the mainstay of both the Japanese Navy and Army air forces.

My mistake. I should have said a mainstay of IJN carrier and land-based air forces.

The Imperial Army seems to have used Nakajimas and Kawasakis as fighters for the most part.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2017, 06:57:31 PM »

It's a common mistake, US pilots made the same one and often referred to the Oscar as the "Army Zero" because it did resemble the Zeke.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song