Author Topic: Pitch Ladder ...  (Read 4119 times)

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Pitch Ladder ...
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 03:06:05 PM »
Peripheral vision is adjustable with the field of view setting. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 03:18:43 PM »
I understand all these points. I too thought it was a bit off(maybe a smidge lol) in a WW2 sim...BUT   If it helps someone out and they stick with the game because of it? I am fine with that. They may just get to a point where they too will fly with it turned off. I don't see a problem with it as not sure what sort of advantage it would give someone over someone not using it. Just my $.02 Sure beats having 3rd person views available in all planes :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »

I don't have one of those with my eyeballs, I think we should get rid being able to adjust field of view also. Infact we should also get rid of zoom (Planes didn't have them), the hat switch (Planes didn't have them to move your head),  the key board (planes didn't have them) ,the text buffer (Planes didn't have them). The auto pilot (planes didn't have them) .......... and  everyone should have their head tied 3 inches from the screen to match the real FOV. And everyone only gets to die once in the game and never play again.

HiTech

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »
Wapow!!!
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 09:15:11 PM »
Infact we should also get rid of zoom (Planes didn't have them), the hat switch (Planes didn't have them to move your head)

Now wait a minute.  I flew one of those nice Air Combat USA Italian fighters, and it DID have a hat switch, and I could move my head (sometimes).  So please don't take it out of this game.

- oldman (the pitch ladder may be a different topic, I know the Italian plane didn't have one of those)

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 10:43:15 PM »
  A real WWII airplane does not have a pitch ladder.  But a real WWII airplane does have a bunch of sensory input that my computer chair does not.  The pitch ladder and the zoom function help make up for that lack of sensory input.  You lose some of that sensory input when you are in a cloud, so the pitch ladder disappears to simulate that loss.  It's that simple.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2017, 11:01:14 AM »
I don't have one of those with my eyeballs, I think we should get rid being able to adjust field of view also. Infact we should also get rid of zoom (Planes didn't have them), the hat switch (Planes didn't have them to move your head),  the key board (planes didn't have them) ,the text buffer (Planes didn't have them). The auto pilot (planes didn't have them) .......... and  everyone should have their head tied 3 inches from the screen to match the real FOV. And everyone only gets to die once in the game and never play again.

HiTech

That wasn't the question, sir. 

The player suggested that the peripheral view setting in this game was so poor nobody could pass an FAA medical exam in real life.  I simply pointed out that he was incorrect. 

AH3 provides a field of view setting that is more than adequate to simulate the real world.  (In fact, it is better than my own peripheral vision which is at least average.)

Reality vs. game has two sides of the same coin. While if you had the same peripheral vision in real life as in game this wouldn't be sufficient to get the medical required to fly a plane. On the other hand, being able to turn the head like what the coolie hat can do would qualify to present it at during a talent show on national TV.

I backed you up here...   :headscratch:

As for the rest, that's your call.   If you can find a better way to simulate head movement without a hat switch and zoom (other than TrackIR) go for it.   Obviously you make compromises for playability and nobody is beeping about that.

Also, there were autopilots in WWII.   Crude and rudimentary but good enough.  Again, dump them or change them if you wish based on plane type or any other criteria you choose.   This is another game feature that doesn't really cross any lines as it simulates other means of achieving the same goal. 

(A pitch ladder has nothing to do with any of these things and is a completely different topic.   It is not really in the same discussion as head movement or peripheral vision IMO.)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 11:26:53 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »
  A real WWII airplane does not have a pitch ladder.  But a real WWII airplane does have a bunch of sensory input that my computer chair does not.  The pitch ladder and the zoom function help make up for that lack of sensory input.  You lose some of that sensory input when you are in a cloud, so the pitch ladder disappears to simulate that loss.  It's that simple.

There is nothing that a pitch ladder provides you don't already have in the game.   A pitch ladder is a substitute for lack of SA. 

Again, I don't care for it--thankfully it is an option not a requiremeant--but if Hitech wants it in the game so be it.   If it helps noobs with their learning curve all the better.   Developing good SA is probably tough for a kid who has never flown a plane, real or otherwise.   

But we go back to Cav's point.  If you're in the clouds press X.    Pitch ladder?    Who needs it when you have auto level and an AH?
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »

Maybe you can chime in with that comment when some of the community argues to have icons removed.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »
Wapow!!!

For backing him up no less.  :headscratch:
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
In summary...Hitech said quit your bellyaching...he aint' changing chit.

Discuss all you want....its his ball and he is otw home.
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
I guess so.   :salute
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:52:47 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 02:07:28 PM »

There is nothing that a pitch ladder provides you don't already have in the game.   A pitch ladder is a substitute for lack of SA. 

Again, I don't care for it--thankfully it is an option not a requiremeant--but if Hitech wants it in the game so be it.   If it helps noobs with their learning curve all the better.   Developing good SA is probably tough for a kid who has never flown a plane, real or otherwise.   

But we go back to Cav's point.  If you're in the clouds press X.    Pitch ladder?    Who needs it when you have auto level and an AH?

Because there are times when you might want to do something other than fly level?

I get where they're coming from with the info that's not available from this side of the screen and what he's accomplishing with it.  That makes sense.  I still choose to have it off because it messes with my Walter Mitty feelings.  Digital speedometer is A-OK by me though! ;)

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »
It seems even more illogical to have one at all in a WWII fighter other than maybe offline or the TA.   Not sure what the reasoning is except perhaps to help with the learning curve.

That wasn't the question, sir. 

The player suggested that the peripheral view setting in this game was so poor nobody could pass an FAA medical exam in real life.  I simply pointed out that he was incorrect. 

AH3 provides a field of view setting that is more than adequate to simulate the real world.  (In fact, it is better than my own peripheral vision which is at least average.)

I backed you up here...   :headscratch:

I would not exactly call  any of this backing me up.

Also I am curious how much flying vertical/aerobatic time in real planes you have?

HiTech
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 02:09:58 PM by hitech »

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Because there are times when you might want to do something other than fly level?

I get where they're coming from with the info that's not available from this side of the screen and what he's accomplishing with it.  That makes sense.  I still choose to have it off because it messes with my Walter Mitty feelings.  Digital speedometer is A-OK by me though! ;)

Wiley.

I don't need a pitch ladder to know my orientation.  Ever.    The game provides all of that already. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned