Author Topic: RPS + perks in one proposal  (Read 11214 times)

Online BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: RPS + perks in one proposal
« Reply #180 on: June 30, 2017, 10:35:11 AM »
If people want what he wants, they will go where they can get it, unless they are all about trying to force others to play the game the way they think it should be played.

You know how many people it takes to have a dog fight?  Two.

:aok
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: June 30, 2017, 10:42:04 AM »
If people want what he wants, they will go where they can get it, unless they are all about trying to force others to play the game the way they think it should be played.

You know how many people it takes to have a dog fight?  Two.

People want targets.  Those are only found in Melee. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #182 on: June 30, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »
People want targets.  Those are only found in Melee.

Again, a dog fight takes two people.  Some of the best fights I have been part of and witnessed happen to have involved two players.  If you do not want to play in nugets arena, then don't.  Seems simple enough.

Just because you will not want to play in it, does not mean others will not want to.

Gives me an idea.  We should drop showing arena numbers and see what happens. :)  People should be logging into the arena which offers the game play they want, instead of trying to force everyone else to play the game the way they think it should be played.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: June 30, 2017, 11:10:24 AM »
Gives me an idea.  We should drop showing arena numbers and see what happens.

Now there's an original idea for curing RPS issues!

+ 1

- oldman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: June 30, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »

Now there's an original idea for curing RPS issues!

+ 1

- oldman

+1
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #185 on: June 30, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
Again, a dog fight takes two people.  Some of the best fights I have been part of and witnessed happen to have involved two players.  If you do not want to play in nugets arena, then don't.  Seems simple enough.

Just because you will not want to play in it, does not mean others will not want to.

Gives me an idea.  We should drop showing arena numbers and see what happens. :)  People should be logging into the arena which offers the game play they want, instead of trying to force everyone else to play the game the way they think it should be played.

Empty arenas are boring and unproductive. 

I have an idea.  Make an Open Melee with RPS and run it on the server.  That coupled with hiding numbers would be interesting.   

Player-based arenas cannot be relied upon.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #186 on: June 30, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »

I have an idea.  Make an Open Melee with RPS and run it on the server.  That coupled with hiding numbers would be interesting.   

You'll have an empty arena.

Skuzzy has the right idea, create a custom arena with the game play you desire.  When the H2H arenas were first available many years ago, they were quite populated and varied in game play but you weren't around here then.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #187 on: June 30, 2017, 12:26:57 PM »
Sooo, you want us to convert the Melee to an arena which will force everyone to play the game the way you want to?  It certainly would be easier than creating your own arena and working to fill it.

Who was talking about empty arenas?  All it takes is two and by any measure, that it not an empty arena.

Player based arenas can be relied upon.  They are just as viable as any arena.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:28:46 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »
Sooo, you want us to convert the Melee to an arena which will force everyone to play the game the way you want to?  It certainly would be easier than creating your own arena and working to fill it.

Who was talking about empty arenas?  All it takes is two and by any measure, that it not an empty arena.

Player based arenas can be relied upon.  They are just as viable as any arena.

To be fair, it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison if the arena's capped at 16v16 or whatever it is.  At least that'll be the first dodge comment.  My opinion is whatever nuget's proposing this week or the no icon guys wouldn't hit that cap, but they'll claim it's a limiting factor.

I'd be curious to see what people could do with custom arenas if there were no cap to the numbers.  The guys who claim there's just oodles and oodles of people dying to play this game without icons or whatever settings they believe kills the arena could have their way and prove us all wrong.

It could be an interesting test bed for new ideas.  Edit:  Actually, it just occurred to me.  Can a custom arena be set up to earn perks for it?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #189 on: June 30, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »
The cap means nothing if you are not hitting it.

If the user who created the arena has enable perk points, then yes, they apply, but they are kept apart from the subscription game arenas.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: June 30, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
The cap means nothing if you are not hitting it.

I agree, but on the other hand if people know it'll only ever be 16v16, they're more inclined to dismiss it out of hand because they're after bigger fights or the ability to impact more people with their high alt bomber or stealth play.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #191 on: June 30, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
I agree, but on the other hand if people know it'll only ever be 16v16, they're more inclined to dismiss it out of hand because they're after bigger fights or the ability to impact more people with their high alt bomber or stealth play.

Wiley.

If you want to do those things, then the Melee arena is where you want to be.  If you want an RPS, then make an arena and set it up.  If you want quick start fights, then Melee ain't it.  If you want to play where bases cannot be captured, then you do not want to play in the Melee arena.

In other words, if you have a specific thing you want to do and it is not being served in the Melee arena, for you, then make it happen.

We really need players to stop focusing on going where the numbers are and, instead, go where they will get the kind of game play they want.  Those custom arenas can be pretty powerful, but it is up to the players to make them and feed them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:24:58 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »
If you want to do those things, then the Melee arena is where you want to be.  If you want an RPS, then make an arena and set it up.  If you want quick start fights, then Melee ain't it.  If you want to play where bases cannot be captured, then you do not want to play in the Melee arena.

In other words, if you have a specific thing you want to do and it is not being served in the Melee arena, for you, then make it happen.

For the most part, I'm devil's advocating, but say for example I wanted to make an arena that works the same as the Melee except it's got no enemy icons.  I think you'd agree 32 players split between 3 countries is not going to go anywhere or provide anything close to what the Melee would be if it were no icons.

Scale is vitally important for that kind of arena to work.  The same with whatever nuget's on about.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: June 30, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
For the most part, I'm devil's advocating, but say for example I wanted to make an arena that works the same as the Melee except it's got no enemy icons.  I think you'd agree 32 players split between 3 countries is not going to go anywhere or provide anything close to what the Melee would be if it were no icons.

Scale is vitally important for that kind of arena to work.  The same with whatever nuget's on about.

Wiley.

That would depend on the terrain.  You can have 32 square mile terrain and it can feel as crowded as a 512 square mile terrain with 250 players in it.  One person per two square miles.

But then again, you can set it up where it is two sided as well.  All you have to do is disable flight for one of the countries and design the terrain giving that one country 1 map room.  Set the parameters correctly and it will work.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:37:51 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: June 30, 2017, 02:02:02 PM »
That would depend on the terrain.  You can have 32 square mile terrain and it can feel as crowded as a 512 square mile terrain with 250 players in it.  One person per two square miles.

But then again, you can set it up where it is two sided as well.  All you have to do is disable flight for one of the countries and design the terrain giving that one country 1 map room.  Set the parameters correctly and it will work.

But it still doesn't provide the same gameplay options a larger arena does.  In peoples' minds, it is not the same as having a big open arena available for unlimited players to come into.

Wiley.

JG11