Author Topic: collision model  (Read 21536 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: collision model
« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »
Krusty, i'm with you on the "limping home" fun.  I love the challenge.  Especially when you've got a pilot wound, missing half a wing and the engine is oiled.  Very exciting!  I never give up, I want that fun to be mine.

It'd be great to breed this into the majority of bomber players.  :)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2017, 11:45:22 AM »
not to be smart but I have read it many times, just cant get my head around it

Ok, step one, before anything involving collisions...

Take an example where there is you and some other guy flying within sight of each other.

Unless both of your planes are stationary, because it takes time to update where the other guy's plane is over the internet, that means the other guy's plane is in a slightly different location on his end than it shows on your end.  Do you understand that?  Yes, or no?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2017, 12:06:03 PM »
flippz , all you need to understand is to avoid hitting anything on your screen/computer. This includes f4us diving on your six. If you roll out of the way and avoid him you will not get a collision, ever.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2017, 12:12:34 PM »
flippz , all you need to understand is to avoid hitting anything on your screen/computer. This includes f4us diving on your six. If you roll out of the way and avoid him you will not get a collision, ever.

Actually, that is an excellent point.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »
not to be smart but I have read it many times, just cant get my head around it, again twice Tuesday night an f4u hits me from behind diving from 3k above me and I get the collision.  and if I didn't loose as many collisions I may be accepting of it, but I seem to loose 95% of the collisions EVEN WHEN THEY HIT ME FROM THE REAR

Flippz change your wording to this, may help you understand.

just cant get my head around it, again twice Tuesday night I collided with an 4fu that was behind me diving from 3k above me.  and if I didn't loose as many collisions I may be accepting of it, but I seem to loose 95% of the collisions EVEN WHEN THEY HIT ME FROM THE REAR

There is no fault assigned

HiTech

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #275 on: August 17, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
you guys are incorrigible.  I wasn't in reverse when I COLLIDED WITH THE F4U THAT WAS SCREAMING IN BEHIND ME, I will just take the honor of having the fastest internet and monitor and can near see in to the future just cant see the plane I am about to hit.
all day I hear it in the ma all day, I just seem to be the only one that brings it to the forums.

since its all my fault and I seem to ram every plane (EVEN FROM THE REAR) ill digress.

please lock this as its no longer helpful.

thanks 

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #276 on: August 17, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »
Chill, Flippz. We all know you weren't in reverse and the collision happened to the rear of your aircraft while you were flying forward.  :rofl . You need to read the thread carefully for information (you're the one confused).

(Begging for a lock isn't going to help you.)

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #277 on: August 17, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »
you guys are incorrigible.  I wasn't in reverse when I COLLIDED WITH THE F4U THAT WAS SCREAMING IN BEHIND ME, I will just take the honor of having the fastest internet and monitor and can near see in to the future just cant see the plane I am about to hit.
all day I hear it in the ma all day, I just seem to be the only one that brings it to the forums.

since its all my fault and I seem to ram every plane (EVEN FROM THE REAR) ill digress.

please lock this as its no longer helpful.

thanks
It might be a good idea to have no collision when you're Not Slowing Down and a plane hits you from behind.   That sort of collision is like penalising a driver who gets rear ended while travelling at the speed limit when in fact they have no control over the collision at all.

Completely different if you drop your flaps, throttle and gear to force an overshoot though since there is a high likelihood of your actions causing a collision.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #278 on: August 17, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
And what happens when I am diving and get rammed from behind by a faster plane?

The current system is not always fair, but it is the fairer than any other system. It is also the simplest to implement with the fewest variables to contend with.

The only problem with the current model is between the ears of those who do not understand how it works.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: August 17, 2017, 07:40:32 PM »
Seems some are forgetting the other collision,you know those pesky bullets!  When rammed from behind,how many bullets hit you and what caused you to go down?

This can happen in any collision from any angle.

Want to fix the collisions,stop flying right at the other guy and when rammed think about the bullets that hit you. It doesnt matter who has the fastest internet,lag is the combined total of both players.

I have tried to fly formation,only problem is every player sees the other player at different distances,this is a result of lag. When you're in a scissor fight and you colide,it's because you failed to avoid the other player....pretty simple really!

:salute

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #280 on: August 17, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
And what happens when I am diving and get rammed from behind by a faster plane?

The current system is not always fair, but it is the fairer than any other system. It is also the simplest to implement with the fewest variables to contend with.

The only problem with the current model is between the ears of those who do not understand how it works.
I don't see how that's your fault.  The guy who's diving on you is faster, has control over the collision, you have none since you have no situational awareness of directly behind you.  Doesn't make sense that he didn't collide but his actions made your rear end collide with his plane.   In that situation dismissing the collision is probably preferable in terms of gameplay over killing the guy being dived on.

You could probably abuse that situation by diving on and just missing a plane to kill it, you might not get every attempt but you'd get a few every number of tries.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: August 17, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
I don't see how that's your fault.  The guy who's diving on you is faster, has control over the collision, you have none since you have no situational awareness of directly behind you.  Doesn't make sense that he didn't collide but his actions made your rear end collide with his plane.   In that situation dismissing the collision is probably preferable in terms of gameplay over killing the guy being dived on.

You could probably abuse that situation by diving on and just missing a plane to kill it, you might not get every attempt but you'd get a few every number of tries.

To quote Clint Eastwood, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

What you fail to realize is that the guy attacking you attacked you while not colliding with you on his screen. He flew in a manner to not have himself collide.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 08:58:17 PM by Devil 505 »
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #282 on: August 17, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »
To quote Clint Eastwood, "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

What you fail to realize is that the guy attacking you attacked you while not colliding with you on his screen. He flew in a manner to not have himself collide.
Yeah but that's not the issue.  The issue is basically game design.   Do you design your game with the idea "tough luck, might not make sense but that's how it is" or do you design it for maximum "enjoyablity".    When a mechanic exists that annoys a player but has no other real purpose why leave it in.

Collisions as a whole have a purpose, and the "only the person that collides died has a purpose", the collision from the rear where the person that dies has no real ability to avoid it and is not the person that caused the collision is counterproductive.   Why? Because none of the pilots involved see's a collision but one still dies and gets annoyed.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #283 on: August 17, 2017, 09:08:02 PM »
Yeah but that's not the issue.  The issue is basically game design.   Do you design your game with the idea "tough luck, might not make sense but that's how it is" or do you design it for maximum "enjoyablity".    When a mechanic exists that annoys a player but has no other real purpose why leave it in.

Collisions as a whole have a purpose, and the "only the person that collides died has a purpose", the collision from the rear where the person that dies has no real ability to avoid it and is not the person that caused the collision is counterproductive.   Why? Because none of the pilots involved see's a collision but one still dies and gets annoyed.

It is designed very well. It is setup so YOU have full control. If your SA is up to snuff and you spot the guy diving on your six it is up to YOU to avoid the collision. If your SA sucks then you might as well run into a tree, its the same thing. Avoid the collision on you computer and you will NEVER get a collision, period!

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
« Reply #284 on: August 17, 2017, 09:26:23 PM »
It is designed very well. It is setup so YOU have full control. If your SA is up to snuff and you spot the guy diving on your six it is up to YOU to avoid the collision. If your SA sucks then you might as well run into a tree, its the same thing. Avoid the collision on you computer and you will NEVER get a collision, period!
You have zero SA one the diver when someone is diving and gaining on your 6.  The diver has 100% SA in regards to your plane.   They almost crash into you for lack of control or because they want to play the random collision game with your plane and you die.  It benefits no one at all.

You're arguing a fallacy, that the person dived on has SA, they don't, and that the person is responsible for the collision, they are not.   Your argument has to fail in those circumstances because they're based on a incorrect premise.