Author Topic: collision model  (Read 21763 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: collision model
« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2017, 01:36:51 PM »
I think it was a joke, and a dig at me Zoney   :salute

Ahhh.

Poor form if it's a dig at you and not in a joking manner.  Although I would have rather you gave HiTech a heads up privately about your discovery, I think it did need to be shown.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
Ahhh.

Poor form if it's a dig at you and not in a joking manner.  Although I would have rather you gave HiTech a heads up privately about your discovery, I think it did need to be shown.

I'm cool with it, but thanks for the support Zoney.  :salute
I was going to do it privately,  but people basically called me a liar, so it I felt the need to defend myself and I chose public. Maybe I should be a bigger person....but hey it's a game, the Melee will keep on spinning.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
I'm cool with it, but thanks for the support Zoney.  :salute
I was going to do it privately,  but people basically called me a liar, so it I felt the need to defend myself and I chose public. Maybe I should be a bigger person....but hey it's a game, the Melee will keep on spinning.  :salute

Yeah, I'm the one that called you a liar and I was completely wrong.  I learned from doing that.  It was uncalled for and unacceptable, and I am truly sorry. <S>
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
P.S. Private messages sent to HTC will never result in being called out on something in public. It's a horse-cart thing. Practice better rationalization.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2017, 04:39:26 PM »
Like WW2 pilots inspire the achievements in the "historical" category, Vinkman inspired this one for the "challenges" category, and naming it after him would be paying proper respect. No offense intended.

I haven't yet made up my mind if I intended as a joke only, or fully serious. It's just the solution on one extreme end for this situation.

The universe in the game has certain properties. And they are whatever they are chosen to be by the creator of the universe, within the limits of what is possible. Having an achievement that depends on some details simply is a statement that how things are is fully intended.

Alternatively, like some have suggested it to be an exploit, on top of the universe there might be additional "man-made" rules set up. It behaves in a certain way, but don't you dare to take any advantage of that, evil exploiter! If this starts at intentional one-sided ramming, where does it end? Any flying that works on one side, but is "incorrectly" (unbelievable, not "realistic", ...) transmitted would be in a similar category (pretending to crash might work - even if pulling out in time, it may look like flying into the ground on the other side, at least I remember having seen that once or twice). Will there be a rule-book of what flying you can do, and what's forbidden?

Then there's another alternative, to tell anyone who complains about "getting rammed" that they simply don't understand the underlying reasons and shall shut up due to stupidity.

Some advanced AI that decides whether or not, and if so who, gets damaged in a collision on one side or the other in a way that both parties can consider the result acceptable probably isn't within reach any time soon.

Of the different possibilities, having the achievement might not be so bad at all.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
Like WW2 pilots inspire the achievements in the "historical" category, Vinkman inspired this one for the "challenges" category, and naming it after him would be paying proper respect. No offense intended.

Encouraging players to emulate this 'tactic' is not paying proper respect to anything or anyone. Try again (only better).

Vink, you have an unusual fan.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2017, 06:40:04 PM »
so is it possible that my game is faster than the rest with the amount of collisions I get rewarded?  if that's the point why do I seem to see the troops running 45 secs to late?   :bhead :bhead

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2017, 10:44:16 PM »
https://youtu.be/U20BMG-RGu0

I want this collision model
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2017, 11:48:57 PM »
Collision model or graphics? Lots of friendly collisions there.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #264 on: August 16, 2017, 01:34:57 AM »
so is it possible that my game is faster than the rest with the amount of collisions I get rewarded?  if that's the point why do I seem to see the troops running 45 secs to late?   :bhead :bhead

You're only getting a lot of collisions because you're colliding a lot. You might reread the thread until you understand that.  It doesn't matter who's at fault, who has a better connection or computer or magical fairy dust, it's simply a question of "was there a collision on your computer?" and in your case the answer seems to be "frequently".  So try to avoid them.   :aok

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #265 on: August 16, 2017, 11:22:00 AM »
https://youtu.be/U20BMG-RGu0

I want this collision model

We have that collision model, as long as both planes, on their own front end, actually collide.  The difference I see is the damage to the aircraft in that model shown is not nearly severe enough.

I like our set up better.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #266 on: August 17, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
You're only getting a lot of collisions because you're colliding a lot. You might reread the thread until you understand that.  It doesn't matter who's at fault, who has a better connection or computer or magical fairy dust, it's simply a question of "was there a collision on your computer?" and in your case the answer seems to be "frequently".  So try to avoid them.   :aok
not to be smart but I have read it many times, just cant get my head around it, again twice Tuesday night an f4u hits me from behind diving from 3k above me and I get the collision.  and if I didn't loose as many collisions I may be accepting of it, but I seem to loose 95% of the collisions EVEN WHEN THEY HIT ME FROM THE REAR

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #267 on: August 17, 2017, 11:28:13 AM »
I like our set up better.

Compared to that arcade mess? Yes. I like ours better. However, I would love to see more to it eventually...

I love trying to limp home if I've sustained damage. I almost never bail just to end a sortie. I guess I'm stubborn or maybe a lot of the fun I get from this game is that part of the challenge.

I'd love to be able to take this damage and (barely) make it back to land:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
not to be smart but I have read it many times, just cant get my head around it, again twice Tuesday night an f4u hits me from behind diving from 3k above me and I get the collision.  and if I didn't loose as many collisions I may be accepting of it, but I seem to loose 95% of the collisions EVEN WHEN THEY HIT ME FROM THE REAR

Front, rear, side,top,bottom - it doesn't matter. 'Losing' a collision happens on your end. If their end doesn't register contact, they didn't collide. As unfair as that may seem, any other method of approaching collisions v. lag would be worse.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
Krusty, i'm with you on the "limping home" fun.  I love the challenge.  Especially when you've got a pilot wound, missing half a wing and the engine is oiled.  Very exciting!  I never give up, I want that fun to be mine.
Wag more, bark less.