Author Topic: collision model  (Read 20810 times)

Offline Zygote404

• Copper Member
Re: collision model
« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »
I believe you are not using the term collide in it's normal fashion of.I.E. there are always 2 objects in a collision.

You appear to be using the term collide in the manner of a car rear end collision at a stop light, saying only the rear car collided?
Or possibly missing the term CAUSED? If so Caused is assigning fault, as I have said before fault has nothing to do with the collision system, and I have no desire to add fault to the collision system.

Because if the slower object is in front of the faster object , it absolutely can collide as described above.

HiTech
Yes I guess I should have used the term strike, rather than collide. 
Actually I"m incorrect, you are correct.  The slower object still strikes the faster one doh
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:43:35 PM by Zygote404 »

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »
Did not say in this thread.  Hence my assumption of (at any time).
If both collided yes they would, but I am speaking of how it changes the choices you make on a head on engagement. I.E. how it effects behavior.

At the moment all is in your own hands, you know if you do not collide with the other guy, you do not take damage and hence reap the rewards of that choice.

Under your suggestion.

You know that if you avoid the collision you will not take damage, but also know this allows the other guy to fly right threw you with out taking damage.And hence your choice gives the other guy an advantage. He can now choose to collide or not collide with the same outcome. Do you think that knowledge may change the way you approach head ons?

I believe most people would now make the choice to fly right threw the other person, causing a rise in the number of head on collisions and hence blaming other guy, why didn't you try to avoid. And hence a huge rise in whines.

I said it was annoying. Not a big deal.

HiTech

Thanks for the explanation.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #317 on: August 18, 2017, 01:57:59 PM »
In all my time aces high, I have never gotten a collision in which my direction of travel was not straight at the enemy plane.

Sometimes I break off and it gives me a collision because I broke off too late.

Why?...........because my path was intersecting the enemy plane and any lag will cause it to continue toward the intersection.

I fly as if my control inputs are reaching the arena or enemy front end at least 1 second later and I rarely collide unless it is intentional.

You can't expect to miss a plane by 4 inches and not get a collision but you should feel grateful when it you do get away with it.

Break off earlier and if you observe buffs acting strangely, keep your distance especially when approaching from  a plane flying straight and level from behind.

Lag is such that the course and control input of the plane determine where it will "lag to".

Level buffs will warp forward and back unless the enemy made a control input you did not see.....because of the lag.

A fighter in a hard turn that encounters lag will usually continue the turn until a new packet arrives stating otherwise.

If you're making a run on buffs from any direction, you are safer to break under them since most buff pilots will pull up if they move at all and lag may not let you see it happening until you get the collision after flying over them.

The only collisions I find unusual are the ones where a plane collides with a tank and flies off seemingly undamaged.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 02:02:34 PM by icepac »