Author Topic: Terrain Editor: Stand Alone Bridge Objects  (Read 686 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Terrain Editor: Stand Alone Bridge Objects
« on: July 06, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
I started testing the stand alone bridge objects from the terrain editor to drive tanks over water ways. On my new terrain I laid down an airfield, GV spawn, and bridges to test offline, found two problems with the bridges.

Bridge object settings: elevation 0.00, can collide unchecked, set to terrain elevation unchecked.

1. - The bridges require the land on either side of the water way to be a minimum 175ft to set the slope angle to meet the ends of the bridges. Can the bridge objects properties be modified to allow a negative value for elevation so the approach angle is more shallow allowing for lower elevations near the water? As is the steep angle down will impact GV game play. The flat bridge has 5 of the bridge object 01 to make that span. If it had a sloped segment that can be added to each end that might make the angle better for GV play.

2. - The two screen shots below show that tanks stop forward motion and responding to direction inputs or reverse gear at the location up slope from the ends of the bridges. They will over a long time period eventually slowly slip down the slope to the end of the bridges. At which point the tank stops forward motion. Once during testing I was able to use reverse gear then forward to get the tank onto the bridge, but the tank would not respond to higher gears. At the other end the tank stopped when trying to mount the up slope. After that all tanks stopped at the same point up slope of the ends of the bridges during testing.

I don't know if you will accept for the Melee arena adjusting the pitch of the two end segments of the level bridge, just though of trying that.

I attached a zip file copy of the oceania.res if you need to look at those points on the terrain.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Terrain Editor: Stand Alone Bridge Objects
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
Solved the angle down to the bridge stopping or slowing down the tank problem.

The object bridge01 set to 0.00 elevation is 115ft to the road bed. IN the picture are 7 segments of bridge01 and I can drive a tank out onto the bridge with a shallower slope to the bridge.

Now the problem is at every segment intersection of the bridge objects, you cross over seeing down through the end of the new segment. After crossing over onto the second segment, your tank falls through into the water below.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
You should be able to put 2 of the straight segments perfectly, possibly just a tad overlaping together.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »
Could you set the bridges to a minus elevation to reduce the bank height needed?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
Minus elevation would be better, I'll give two segments a try. If I can keep open water under the bridge, this tank combat area will be fun for the guys.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:55 PM »
You can already set them below zero, make sure set to terrain alt is not checked.

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:34:58 PM »

After crossing over onto the second segment, your tank falls through into the water
Here is your problem
Bridge object settings: elevation 0.00, can collide unchecked
All segments should be can collide.

As to the invisibility issue, that may be the zbuffer/shader issue I've already mentioned to you. Is the offending segment in the area where the shoreline waves would occur?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »
1. - Hitech wants the bridges to be indestructible. Unless they were created that way by Waffle, I have to uncheck can collide so the won't be damaged(blown up).
2. - Only thing I can go by forwhich segment I fall through. When the 2nd see through the face of the next bridge happens, meaning I'm starting onto bridge no.2. A few feet past it and my tank drops through into water.

Making these work will create a unique tank terrain for the Melee arena. That should keep a few players paying their subscriptions.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 02:19:31 PM »
I know this is hard, but pay attention lol. Collidable has nothing to do with destructable. That's the object type, set it for barrier.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 02:26:11 PM »
When the 2nd see through the face of the next bridge happens, meaning I'm starting onto bridge no.2.

By this, I take it the invisible bridge is near the area where the shoreline waves would be taking place if you could see the whole set under the hillside, yes?

Edit:
Just so you know. Setting collide will fix the fall through issue but it means no water craft can run under them.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:28:06 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 03:02:24 PM »
Easy, I know this is hard for you not being in the TE yourself, so pay attention.

Next round of testing. All bridge objects are set to can collide and 0.00 elevation.

1. - The arched bridge, elevation above it on both sides is 140, water way is created with a -50 for elevation tool. Tank sticks on slope.

2. - Two segments of flat bridge will not span the gap.

3. - Five segments of flat bridge will span and the tank freezes at a lower point above the road bed. Then broke loose after 15 seconds and slide sideways onto the road bed. I was able to cross the first bridge segment of five. The screen shot shows the face of the second segment as I was approaching it. Upon passing on to second bridge segment, my tank fell through and down into the "ground" under the bridge segment. The tank fell under ground.

Hitech, is it possible to allow the arched bridge to use negative elevation values to adjust it's ends to a lower angled slope?

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 03:16:40 PM »
I know this is hard, but pay attention lol.

Easy, I know this is hard for you not being in the TE yourself, so pay attention.

Is it possible that you two could refrain from this kind of crap or take it private?  This does no good.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 03:26:12 PM »
Then Zoney help me test bridge objects to help Hitech. Just open the terrain editor, make a new project called Zoney. Plop down a few square miles of land, a Vbase down on the land, a GV spawn near where your bridges will be over a cut in the land surface, and test them. It's adult finger painting in 3D. Easyscor decided to get involved and make it personal, I'm just trying to get working bridges for my new terrain.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
It's not personal bustr, but repeatedly going defensive is frustrating when I'm trying to help get you from here to there.
Everything you just posted is consistent with what I've told you. Bridges are hard to make work but we've done it in the AvA and we've used three different techniques, using two custom bridges and one built with TE default objects. When you can do that...

Ex: Take another look at the last images you posted with the invisible bridge sections. The missing views are in front of the shoreline on the other sided of your 'river'. If your river had been, say 1/2 to 3/4 mile across, the invisible parts would be on the near side. It's about the angle of the view, and somehow the angle of the bridge surface may play into it as well. Usually, it's most noticeable on a working bridge when looking toward the rear of a vehicle while exiting the bridge.

You will never get those bridges to work over that river cut unless Hitech makes substantial changes to the way the GVs work near the shorelines. The exit points must be around 200' past where the shorelines would end. That's not possible in your current configuration but you'll get there if you keep at it.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
Keeping in mind my last post, especially the last paragraph

1 What does the White line represent?
2 What does the Yellow line represent?
These are two important questions going to your understanding of what's happened to your efforts.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001