Author Topic: windows 10 icons sometimes no text after reboot  (Read 1801 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
windows 10 icons sometimes no text after reboot
« on: July 23, 2017, 10:29:35 AM »
Hello,

Sometimes when I reboot, my windows 10 desktop icons have no text, and the icons are spaced out a bit differently.  Rebooting again fixes it.  Any ideas?  My computer is a Lenovo T420s with the dual nvidia 420m/iGPU graphics setup.

It didn't used to do this.  I'm hoping that the latest video drivers don't have some sort of glitch that cause this, since pretty much none of the hardware in the computer has ongoing driver support for win10 so there won't be any new drivers...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: windows 10 icons sometimes no text after reboot
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 12:13:28 PM »
If it's only occasional, it can be anything from failing hardware to driver glitches - or even Windows glitches especially if you got automatically upgraded from Win7.

If you've recently updated your video drivers, you can revert to the previous ones to see if the issue goes away.

Running checkdisk wouldn't hurt, either. Here's how: https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/fix-hard-drives-chkdsk-windows-10/
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »
It's very consistent so I suspect that the video driver isn't initializing the video chip properly.  Annoying since I'm using "final" vid drivers for both the iGPU and nvidia 420M plus final optimus drivers.  "Everything works" except sometimes the text on the icons is missing after a reboot, and another reboot fixes it.

Stupid problem to have with mature/final drivers.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 01:54:06 AM »
Well, fwiw the Nvidia drivers published during the last year or so don't work at all on my rig, I get a BSOD with them. Try older ones version by version until you find ones that work with your system. The incompatibility with your system may be due to support for features that are not present in your card so you won't basically lose anything.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
I can't even load the "latest" drivers... I am using the last published legacy driver package.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »
Now I'm a little confused: What do you mean by you "can't even load the latest drivers"? You certainly should be able to download them from the Nvidia site no matter what. Does running their installers give you incompatibility messages or what?

Kotisivuni

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »
The latest driver package aborts with an error that my video chip is too old and I need to use their legacy driver package.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 04:48:02 PM »
Ahh, I see. Then the remedy is to use the legacy packages. Even those can vary. More important, especially when trying an older driver, using a driver cleaner such as DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/display-driver-uninstaller-ddu-v17072-released is crucial.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 11:30:57 PM »
This may be a two-headed snake, older hardware and a corrupt cache, but rebuilding the icon cache will probably fix your problem.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-rebuild-icon-cache-windows-10-a.html
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 01:59:49 AM »
Thanks for your input, Chalenge. You made me notice I got target fixated to the drivers only.  :cheers:

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 03:00:51 AM »
If it hadn't happened to me I wouldn't know about it.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 07:44:32 AM »
Going off the OP post every week or so when I reboot my computer everything resets. All my icons move to the left. My screen resolution drops to terrible quality and I gotta change everything back. Windows 10 upgraded from 7. Any ideas.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
Does it suffice to just change the resolution or do you have to reinstall the drivers?

I had a case of the latter with Win8 way back. It appeared that Windows automatically "updated" the video drivers to an earlier version during shutdown, causing 800x600 resolution only. If that applies to you, start by downloading the latest working video drivers, use to get rid of all previous ones and install the fresh ones. IIRC you might even be able to stop Windows updating video drivers through that tool. If not, there's other ways to do it but since there's several versions of Win10 out there I won't provide any links for that.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »
The software I use to refresh the icon positions is DesktopOK: http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Freeware/DesktopOK

DesktopOk Can recall the position of icons if you reposition them at different resolutions, for instance. If you have more than a single monitor on Windows 10 it is a must-have piece of software.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »
Does it suffice to just change the resolution or do you have to reinstall the drivers?

I had a case of the latter with Win8 way back. It appeared that Windows automatically "updated" the video drivers to an earlier version during shutdown, causing 800x600 resolution only. If that applies to you, start by downloading the latest working video drivers, use to get rid of all previous ones and install the fresh ones. IIRC you might even be able to stop Windows updating video drivers through that tool. If not, there's other ways to do it but since there's several versions of Win10 out there I won't provide any links for that.

It just resets my resoloution.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek