Author Topic: M3 Effectiveness.....  (Read 32184 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: M3 Effectiveness.....
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »
Removing the troops in an M3 has ZERO EFFECT on improving combat.

And I'm sure that wasn't the plan either ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »
Limiting town rebuild to only auto guns before the enemy captures it, and only allow supplies to help rebuild the town after the capture would address this. Right now the ability to rebuild the town right under the attackers nose is the single most effective defense against capture while risking nothing. And the cry in the wilderness that it is the only way one player can save his field from a group attacking it is bogus. At some point we have to face the consequences of our choices not to defend something instead of accidentally giving one guy the single finger salute power of a group of players by dropping a box of supplies.

Last night I saw what Junky is getting at during a large scale bomber run over an airfield. As the bombers were obviously lined up for their bomb run, our M3's were already approaching the base from the spawn. We still had a battle for the town with SdK's upping like locusts. But, in the end the real battle was the M3's versus the Sdk's, and who could get their load to the town faster. The battle no longer mattered at the moment the M3's rebuilt the town faster than the SdK's could sacrifice themselves to deliver their troops. The whole fight could have taken place by the bombers flattening the town, then the M3's and SdK's do their delivery race to the town from there.

This walks the same fine line as giving a bomber player the ability to dictate a whole country's evening by a single finger salute to a single target which has been championed for years by a group of players. Yes we have players who only drive GV's or only want to sit in a GV and take part in the game from that perspective. So it is intoxicating to realize with a single finger they can impact all the efforts of a large group of combatants with very little personal risk to achieve that much against so many. It used to be delivering the troops or fighting off the attackers and spoiling that troop delivery was the reward for everyone. Now spoiling all of that by rebuilding the town by a single finger salute has diluted a clear purpose for winning in this game. The more you dilute the meaning of winning without clear objectives and outcomes, the less the majority of players feel anything strongly about engaging in the risk of combat to achieve something. 

This is what Junky is really trying to help us understand. It does not promote a positive future for the kind of combat game Aces High has been since I can remember. It feels ambivalent and like participation trophy's are being passed out for showing up and risking nothing.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
Am I the only one who reads Bustrs post like he's the commentator of aces high?  I imagine him with a Morgan freeman voice or Mr Bruce buffer himself. Ittsssssss Timeeeeeeee
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2017, 01:07:49 PM »
Am I the only one who reads Bustrs post like he's the commentator of aces high? 

You might be the only one who still reads them at all  :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2017, 01:11:13 PM »
It also all goes back to the larger picture though. We have fewer people planning effective missions which cover both air & ground. Want to stop the resuppers? Get tanks involved to take care of spawn points or distance entry points to town. Or use some aircap to watch for resup runners on the ground.

Hit the strats - increase the downtime - it's more effective and more of a deterrent and harder for the resuppers to easily bring up a base.

Plan ahead - have troops in place long before the main wave comes in.

There are multiple ways to combat the resupply challenge but people just want it easy so they can capture a base on the first try. I know all to well as the amount of frustration I've had in this regard when resuppers spoil a plan for a small group...but we deal with it accordingly.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2017, 01:19:35 PM »
It also all goes back to the larger picture though. We have fewer people planning effective missions which cover both air & ground. Want to stop the resuppers? Get tanks involved to take care of spawn points or distance entry points to town. Or use some aircap to watch for resup runners on the ground.

Hit the strats - increase the downtime - it's more effective and more of a deterrent and harder for the resuppers to easily bring up a base.

Plan ahead - have troops in place long before the main wave comes in.

There are multiple ways to combat the resupply challenge but people just want it easy so they can capture a base on the first try. I know all to well as the amount of frustration I've had in this regard when resuppers spoil a plan for a small group...but we deal with it accordingly.

This requires more folks to work as a group.. aka a hoarde.  The defense sees said hoarde coming.. does not try to defend at all, rather sit around towns with supplies over and over.

See the revolving door?  If you really think we will attract new folks with that method of gameplay.. think harder.

Get better at defending your base without supplies being your go to choice.  I have a feeling that day is coming soon.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
Well mr snail I didn't wanna be rude.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2017, 02:16:51 PM »

That's OK, I never got a twitter account or lived in my text buffer and self lobotomized like the last 2 generations.

Last night's bomber raid had about 6 bomber boxes and 20 or so fighters involved. It was a magnificent bait and switch mission. The bombers dropped the town on their pass then flew a lazy circle while descending to another field which drew off most of our fighter defense for the easy kills. Then several tanks and a hoard of SdK's showed up just as a fighter sweep engaged our remaining defenders low over the town. We kept shooting SdK's and hoards of troops and they kept sending SdK's to swamp our ability to catch all of them. It should have worked except our M3's were never challenged so all the SdK's they kept sending eventually were making the 3 mile run for nothing. The M3's risked nothing and screwed almost 30 guys out of a well planned and executed mission. What becomes the point of resurrecting well planned missions if a single finger salute is all it takes to screw all of that effort instead of a spirited defense? Any hole in the game play like this is found and leveraged to the hilt because it's not against the rules, and this one gives a single guy playing energizer bunny in an M3 control over the risk and efforts of nearly 30 guys. Just like the HQ being kept down all the time that Hitech changed it's down time and hardness to address.

It's a similar species to allowing a single player to single finger salute control the evening's outcomes of a whole country. Without an equal effort and risk commiserate to that many players inflicting that on another country in the same short period of time.     
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »
Six bomber boxes and 20 fighters and no one bothered to kill the VH or barracks at the adjacent field to prevent resupply?
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2017, 02:49:43 PM »
Am I the only one who reads Bustrs post like he's the commentator of aces high?  I imagine him with a Morgan freeman voice or Mr Bruce buffer himself. Ittsssssss Timeeeeeeee

I always hear Cliff Claven.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2017, 02:53:34 PM »
Six bomber boxes and 20 fighters and no one bothered to kill the VH or barracks at the adjacent field to prevent resupply?

Kong remembers the good missions ET put together.  Just a little vox work by ET and planes cut across AH map killing the resupply bases.

I miss ET.  Well and the many others that have gone from this world in the last couple of years.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: October 04, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
Yes they visited it, M3's were already waiting at the field and near by strat spawn in anticipation of getting a leg up on the town rebuild or strat rebuild. Junky was loosing his mind on squad VOX pointing this out as the same thing he sees now at just about any field coming under attack. In the weeks before Hitech stepped in and changed the HQ down time and hardness. The same cast of characters here in the forums asked why everyone complaining to Hitech about thier HQ being down all night long, didn't defend the HQ and many other incrimination's inferring they were lazy or bad game citizens.

The real answer is we are imperfect in our game play because by design the game is not over complicated on purpose, and most of use are here to be in fights for an evening. Not playing a military strategy game controlled by minutia manipulated by a few. Any hole in the game where a minutia can be leveraged outside of its original role against larger groups of players, becomes a single finger salute by the few to screw the efforts of the many.

Nugetx expended a lot of time and personal good will trying to force Hitech into believing the game should be turned into a military strategy game controlled by minutia manipulated by a few. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2017, 03:15:20 PM »
I always hear Cliff Claven.

Wiley.

LOL, with a lisp.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2017, 04:09:00 PM »
Last I heard John Ratzenberger is a millionaire philanthropist, thank you for the compliment.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2017, 04:41:26 PM »

Last I heard John Ratzenberger is a millionaire philanthropist, thank you for the compliment.
:rofl Why you in here posting comments? :headscratch: Get that new terrain ready :neener: Kidding of coarse...well maybe :cheers:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain