Author Topic: New Rudder Pedal User Question  (Read 4683 times)

Offline SJ001

• Zinc Member
New Rudder Pedal User Question
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »
Ive looked for this answer but I cant get anything solid, I just got Thrustmaster T‑Flight Rudder Pedals and Its very weird and I know it will take time, my question is if I push forward on my right pedal which way should the nose turn, I don't want to do a lot of bad practice and have to re-learn.

Humm, thinking now I could probably test with brakes, apply right brake and plane should turn right?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: New Rudder Pedal User Question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Right pedal, plane should nose right.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SJ001

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:37:35 PM »
Thank you!

I find my brakes are not working but I'll figure it out

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Thank you!

I find my brakes are not working but I'll figure it out

Calibrate both the pedals and the brakes in the game if you already haven't done so.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Petey

• Copper Member
      • 56th FG Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 01:27:00 PM »
Yikes!

I have had mine set up from the beginning of time left foot forward noses AC right.. to late to learn over now.  :(
Petey

56 FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"

Offline SJ001

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 02:17:29 PM »
Thanks Bizman and Petey that's exactly why I asked, Ive learned many things the wrong way and its harder to start over than to learn from scratch :D

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 02:21:37 PM »
Yikes!

I have had mine set up from the beginning of time left foot forward noses AC right.. to late to learn over now.  :(

Did you ever see the TED talk about the guy that made the reverse steering bicycle? Pretty relevant to that. Never too late. The mind will snap into place after a period of time.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »
Yikes!

As a flight instructor in the real world, that's a common problem, as kids on sleds we learn that when we wanted to turn the sled left, we pushed forward on the right handle.  In both tricycle and tail wheel aircraft, the rudder peddles are wired so when you press forward on the right peddle you turn right and at the same time the rudder deflects to the right.  Notice I said tail wheel aircraft and not make  the common mistake most people make and call them tail dragger.  Tail dragger didn't  have a steerable tail wheel, but rather a none steerable skid. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Petey

• Copper Member
      • 56th FG Homepage
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
I have had mine set like this since the 90's when I first got my rudders.  Maybe it may help with my deflection shooting if I switch it up?
Petey

56 FG "Zemke's Wolfpack"

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 04:54:08 PM »
In a simulation it doesn't matter at all. Maybe in reality (if someone would actually build a plane the "wrong" way around) there would be a difference in a knife's edge flight. Maybe stepping on the "lower" pedal is be easier than sepping on the "upper" one to keep the nose up?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 05:26:39 PM »
Ive looked for this answer but I cant get anything solid, I just got Thrustmaster T‑Flight Rudder Pedals and Its very weird and I know it will take time, my question is if I push forward on my right pedal which way should the nose turn, I don't want to do a lot of bad practice and have to re-learn.

Humm, thinking now I could probably test with brakes, apply right brake and plane should turn right?

Make sure that you have the pedals mapped correctly and the axis aren't inadvertently set to invert.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SJ001

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »
Got everything working, this is a hoot, already getting used to it, should have got a set years ago.

I thought a Brew could turn well, well now it turns even better, Ive been on and off this game for years out of frustration, pedals and the Rift are making this game so enjoyable!

Slam

*edit* spelling

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »
As a general rule, when the stick is moving right add right rudder. When it's moving left add left rudder. Try to make it a habit. A flat scissors is good practice.

Petey would do the opposite unless he changes mapping.

Offline SJ001

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »
As a general rule, when the stick is moving right add right rudder. When it's moving left add left rudder. Try to make it a habit. A flat scissors is good practice.

Petey would do the opposite unless he changes mapping.

Didn't realize that, thanks for the tip!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
Look at the little ball gauge to see the effect. It tells you how coordinated you are which reduces drag.