Author Topic: AH, new blood - a whacky idea  (Read 4084 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
AH, new blood - a whacky idea
« on: September 20, 2017, 01:34:26 AM »
Not even going to put this on the Wishlist, the idea's too immature and taking time to ideate only to have super-conservative stiffs say -1 just cos they don't need it themselves / or don't get it gets a bit old  :rofl  But anyway, an idea, perhaps worthy of discussion. Perhaps someone in a position to consider it from a business model perspective might think about it anyway!

In this thread about a week ago:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,389299.0.html

I proposed current MA players give the Match Play Arena (MPA) a try. Later in this thread TC reported he was unsuccessful encouraging some MA players to go to MPA with him. As far as my observations take me it seems most of the 'duellers' of old are presently not playing - even the Army of Muppets squad seems presently inactive (wasn't even on the squad roster a week back).

I’ve noticed a few possible MA people show up, but very disappointingly the arena is largely unoccupied. I did this week run into one player who claimed to be from another flight simulator who came to AH to improve his 1-on-1 flying.

Then I read Lusche’s post. I think we can all agree an objective, rational and levelheaded member of out community (unlike me  :banana:):-

It's like a bunch of old guys doing 'their stuff' with only greeting an old acquaintance every once in a while.
I have the feeling today's arena is full of lone wolves (just look at all those squadless players on the roster), or some very tight small squads/groups of player.
I have the feeling the game is getting old, literally. How do you hook new players in a lukewarm environment, even when they get their (technical) questions answered on the Help Channel?.

This comment especially: “I have the feeling the game is getting old I found a bit disturbing.

I was considering how the game might be viewed from a new player. If, as Lusche suggests, and I think myself, the MA is a sort of comfort zone of random activities, simultaneously ticking by at a low pace and still requiring the high-angle learning curve of flying and the general complexity of the game then it’s hardly going to appeal. It’s hard and unrewarding, there’s just a gulf in the graphs into which new players fall.

I’ve very openly narrated my fondness for MPA and why I think any fan of air combat should at least be a part-time member. But my activity - pure toe-to-toe ACM fights are an esoteric hobby, nested inside an esoteric hobby. In other words, AH players are a minority and within that minority…  I think this is why trying to recruit MPA players from the MA will not work. If that's their comfort zone they won't leave it.

Perhaps the underlying assumption is false though. What if new players could be attracted to the MPA first? So think about newer games. They are more inclined towards instant action. I would have conjectured also more quickly returned rewards but I'm now not sure. I can imagine many modern gamers are looking for a challenge. A really engaging challenge, bringing a not-so-immediate reward.

Couldn't we push the sporting aspects of Aces High as a way to appeal to the younger generation and enjoy the natural trickling down from there into the MA? I did think of a Reno Air race / Redbull racing league arena, but thought that might get stale quickly (so many racing games already). So I'm proposing that only in the MPA custom skins might be allowed, a public scoreboard right on the front page of AH’s website and further, to allow the slight modification of the aircraft in a combat-competition style. So sort of Reno air races but geared for fighting. So you could remove armour and guns and customise your fuel load out to 10% increments and choose your ammo load out before takeoff. HTC is already able to ‘turn-off’ guns when damaged, the hangar already allows selections and aircraft weight is calculated according to hangar selections. Skins are player-generated. Might not be so much work that it's worth a try. The customization aspect is to engage the individual to a higher level.

I think this might appeal more to the Counter Strike generation than a dimly glowing MA that seems like a war where nearly everyone is on vacation.

And then, promote this! Put videos out, write about it on Steam, try to attract those from other simulators which don't have an MPA.

Before the typical poo-pooers show up to explain how 'we've never needed this in the past', consider. What if Lusche is right? What is the end game to this path? At the end of the day AH is not a single player game. We all play this game together with other people. No people...

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: AH, new blood - a whacky idea
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:55:58 AM »
Not saying it's a bad idea, but the two main things I see working against the MPA for new people are the learning curve and the fact that if you've got any kind of ego, dueling with people you can't beat will be unpleasant.  Getting beaten down repeatedly in the MA is one thing, you can either get by in a crowd or you have an excuse when you die.  A 1v1 loss is all on the loser and a lot of people can't handle that.

A lot of new guys (heck a lot of old guys) are barely in control of their plane, never mind advanced ACM.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 10:53:33 AM »

A lot of new guys (heck a lot of old guys) are barely in control of their plane, never mind advanced ACM.

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
So think about newer games. They are more inclined towards instant action. I would have conjectured also more quickly returned rewards but I'm now not sure. I can imagine many modern gamers are looking for a challenge. A really engaging challenge, bringing a not-so-immediate reward.
I think this might appeal more to the Counter Strike generation than a dimly glowing MA that seems like a war where nearly everyone is on vacation.
Instant action and Counter Strike seem to be more related to manned guns and ground vehicles rather than ACM part of AH3. So maybe get new guys in through ground war that is easier and more known environment. In reality I have no idea about what newer gamers want.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 11:51:51 AM »
These are good points - especially Arlo's  :D

I presumed you must have some interest in air combat / prop planes to come to AH in the first place. I know I did.

I think we must differentiate slightly between instant action and instant reward. Some of the better players I ran across do / did have an ego. They must however have surpressed it at one point to learn and get to the point to gob-off about how great they are  :rofl 

Some just seem to embrace high-skill set-based rewards. I believe a contributing factor to some (especially one) of my friends leaving is reaching the top level and having nothing left to learn / accomplish. I just suspect there is demand for something whos rewards measure up to the challenge. There are always overswings in culture.

AH has some unique atributes!

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
For me and Im sure for many others it just isnt the type of fights Im looking for. The dueling type fights are a whole different animal than Melee fights. In the MPA it is who ever makes the first mistake loses. There really isn't much in the way of a chance to recover. In the Melee Arena there are a number of other factors that come into play and even an average "pilot" like me can stand a chance.

To generate some action in there tho you might try posted over at Steam. You might find some takers to try out the "free" arenas and give you some action.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »
MPA is not (does not have to be) one versus one.  It was very ingeniously designed to be able to handle multiple member teams.  (At least that is how I recalled it).

Hope that adds something to the conversation.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:02:25 PM by Chilli »

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 05:16:31 PM »
Over Macho-Grande?

I'll never get over Macho Grande.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 06:55:45 PM »
Just get out there and win one for the Zipper!

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 12:57:46 AM »
For me and Im sure for many others it just isnt the type of fights Im looking for. The dueling type fights are a whole different animal than Melee fights.

That's okay, it's not compulsory  :)

In the MPA it is who ever makes the first mistake loses. There really isn't much in the way of a chance to recover. In the Melee Arena there are a number of other factors that come into play and even an average "pilot" like me can stand a chance.

Not really so much first mistake loses in my experience. Recently I'm noticing how decisive the second merge is. Often things haven't gone to plan by that stage and you have to rally quite hard. Regarding the MA I totally understand. The secondary / primary (depends on your activities) motivation for posting this idea is the possibility to inject some players into the MA via this 'sporting' direction rather than the other way around.

To generate some action in there tho you might try posted over at Steam. You might find some takers to try out the "free" arenas and give you some action.

That's actually a bloody good idea my friend. If I could make an MPA promotion video might someone else help put up the Steam post? I only play AH you see...

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 01:58:17 AM »
Truth is, despite what many seem to think, too many of the experienced players now just want to take rather than give and they essentially bully the new guys out without giving them a chance.

In the MA they will vulch and vulch and vulch, regardless of the name they are killing.  They do not care about the game, rather their scores.  Push that to the DA, we will see players that will beat down new guys just because they can.

nrshida - you offered a challenge so I feel I should too.  Create an account and fly around like a noob in the MA.  I mean a real noob, who will take the wrong plane up and try to turn fight the right plane.  You know what I mean.  With Hitech's permission I am willing to fund that account on the understanding you film all encounters.  I think what we will find is lots of hard core veterans feeding and a very few offering help.  That sir, is your issue.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 03:44:19 AM »
I for one always try to get into contact with the new players if I kill them. (I don't kill them on purpose) they usually feel insulted when I do, not my intention at all.

Back to MPA.
yesterday I was screwing around with my squad in there and we had great fun. however I don't always wanna go there with them because you can't select who your fighting or who your flying with. in the old DA this was not a problem. I actually used the DA as a training arena for my squad alot. Cause there are actually consequences for your mistakes.

One time I wanted to duel a friend and that got totally screwed up by a third player joining. we would be placed against him again and again. after 5-6 tries to fight each other we gave up and left.

Don't get me wrong I love the random aspect as well and i also would love to see a squad dueling league ladder in there. maybe you can create a team and gain some sort of elo/rating.

if I would be able to do some those things in there again you would see me there more often and pulling in my squaddies with me.

Those where my 2 cents on the matter.

DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 10:16:02 AM »
.... they usually feel insulted when I do, not my intention at all.

I applaud your efforts.  But it may be some are insulted because they are not really "noobs". 

The OP assumes the majority of new Aces High players are new to air combat, which may or may not be the case.  Some may be old players returning and in the process of shaking off the rust.  Others may be players from other sims who are already fairly well acquainted with air combat principles but are in the process of getting used AH.  Speaking as someone who hops between sims quite a bit, I can say while ACM/BFM remains the same, every sim has specific timing and performance nuances that can impact their execution e.g. the optimal time to execute a barrel roll to force an overshoot. 

Just a thought...  :salute 

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 12:07:33 PM »
...snip

Back to MPA.
... i also would love to see a squad dueling league ladder in there. maybe you can create a team and gain some sort of elo/rating.

....snip

DutchVII

Perhaps the gist of this idea could become the basis of a Steam promotional/marketing event?  HTC might in some way--implementation details notwithstanding--hold a Steam users ONLY dueling ladder/tourny in the MPA (I don't know how regular vets would be filtered out).  The winner(s) could win a 1-to-X number of months of HTC-sponsored subscription to the full game or <insert other prize here>?  At the very least it would expose the MPA to some more new users by tying in tangible benefits (win a sub) to try it out, and overall might garner additional interest in subbing to AH.

FWIW, 
o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein