Author Topic: Reviewing films while in game  (Read 1981 times)

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
Reviewing films while in game
« on: October 04, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
Is there any way we can watch a film while still in the game?  I have tried Alt+Tab ing out of the game to watch a film, but I have always had to exit the game completely before I can watch the film.  Maybe I am doing something wrong, but if I'm not, it would be nice to have that ability.

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Reviewing films while in game
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
Unlikely to happen.  It's so people can't have 10,000 yard awareness of enemy locations in real time.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 03:53:40 PM »
The film viewer uses game resources. They can't run concurrently.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 07:29:59 PM »
The film viewer uses game resources. They can't run concurrently.

They use to be able to, but too many people were using it to locate players trying to hide, GVs, goons and such. HTC set it up so you can no longer do that.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 07:46:53 PM »
They use to be able to, but too many people were using it to locate players trying to hide, GVs, goons and such. HTC set it up so you can no longer do that.

Yep. There would be those that would do this almost immediately once implemented.

Murphy's Law.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
We purposely made an addition so that the film view can not run at the same time as the game. We even had to add a lock out from other computers trying to load films that were just made with the game.

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 10:31:02 PM »
Wow, devious minds out there.
"One-Eye"

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 08:30:40 AM »

As far as I can tell people are still doing this, not that it's a good thing mind you, but there have been a few times since I've been back where several players, including me are looking for a GV we know is out there and are having a real hard time spotting it and somebody pipes up saying  "well if we don't find it soon, I'm just going to go look at the film."  I find this behavior gamey and lame. I personally love the new GV game, both hiding and trying to locate them. It makes the storch very useful. 
  Keep this up and HT is going to have to put 24HR hold on the films just so these guys actually have to play the game the way it's designed.

:salute all.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
  As far as I can tell people are still doing this, not that it's a good thing mind you, but there have been a few times since I've been back where several players, including me are looking for a GV we know is out there and are having a real hard time spotting it and somebody pipes up saying  "well if we don't find it soon, I'm just going to go look at the film."  I find this behavior gamey and lame. I personally love the new GV game, both hiding and trying to locate them. It makes the storch very useful. 
  Keep this up and HT is going to have to put 24HR hold on the films just so these guys actually have to play the game the way it's designed.

:salute all.

Based on what hitech said.. there is a delay in being able to view a recently created film.  Its too bad we even need to take precautions like this..

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 10:32:44 AM »
"well if we don't find it soon, I'm just going to go look at the film."  I find this behavior gamey and lame.

It's also "gamey & lame" to park a vehicle in a remote spot just to make a base or factory flash for hours. Even worse with planes, which can sit anywhere in a 500 sq.miles area for the same effect.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »

It's also "gamey & lame" to park a vehicle in a remote spot just to make a base or factory flash for hours. Even worse with planes, which can sit anywhere in a 500 sq.miles area for the same effect.

:aok

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 10:55:32 AM »

A couple weeks ago I saw one of our strats flashing due to a GV and figured I'd go take a run at killing it.  I spent a full tank of gas searching for him and returned home frustrated as hell.  Just for curiosity's sake I logged out to watch the video.  I flew right over him a couple times but never saw him.  He was sitting under one of those large canopy trees.  I never bothered with a return trip, just left him to sit under his tree and feel special and went to find something fun to do.

Gamey and lame?  Yup.  Need to be fixed?  I'm not really sure, and if it does, how one would go about it.  Maybe the thing to do would be the longer you're within radar range of a base flashing it, the more refined the flashing gets?  So it starts out after an amount of time, half the circle is flashing, then 1/4, then 1/8, then 1/16th?

Have it reset only if you go outside plane warning distance or if you .ef so a player can't just sit there at the flash range boundary popping in and out to reset it?

Yup.

If you notice when you sit under trees, you will lose airplane icons when they get close to the trees above you in your field of view.  You can still see the actual plane, but no icon.  It works the same the other way.  If you find an extremely dense tree canopy and hide under it, the ability for a plane and even a storch to locate you with your engine off becomes very difficult.  Sometimes they may get an icon at a certain angle and sometimes not.  I have been just above treetop level in a storch and flew right over the engine off gv and couldn't see him under the tree canopy.  I have had to resort to filming, checking the film to find the gv at times.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »

You are surprised?  You yourself do this, based on your comment in my thread:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,389194.0.html
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:30:54 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »
Being devious is part of the fun.  But you can be devious without cheating.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
You are surprised?  You yourself do this, based on your comment in my thread:  http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,389194.0.html

BUSTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :rofl
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"