Author Topic: History Focus Ride per Tour  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: History Focus Ride per Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 11:00:41 AM »
Using a few odd examples doesn't explain anything as to why you want them there. Other than, of course, you want a cheap and easy way of stopping a base take with minimal effort.

In terms of AH gameplay, they have no place and should not spawn out of VHs.

However, in the past we have had ports WITH airfields attached to them. That's perfectly fine, though I seem to recall that predated the current town/WF setup we have now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 11:02:31 AM »
Using a few odd examples doesn't explain anything as to why you want them there. Other than, of course, you want a cheap and easy way of stopping a base take with minimal effort.

In terms of AH gameplay, they have no place and should not spawn out of VHs.

However, in the past we have had ports WITH airfields attached to them. That's perfectly fine, though I seem to recall that predated the current town/WF setup we have now.

How do you know what I want?

You're sure good at putting words in others' mouths.    With clairvoyance like that don't place any bets unless you want to go broke.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 11:03:40 AM »
Way to get super defensive and go on the attack about it. Way to ignore the actual points and latch onto the non-issue and make it a nice distraction.

Have you got anything to say about the actual gameplay part of the discussion? I'm all ears.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 11:05:28 AM »
Way to get super defensive and go on the attack about it. Way to ignore the actual points and latch onto the non-issue and make it a nice distraction.

Have you got anything to say about the actual gameplay part of the discussion? I'm all ears.

My thoughts are self-evident.   Read the OP then read my posts.  Even the most primitive level of reasoning/deduction should be sufficient to figure it out.

Just because my opinion differs from yours doesn't make me wrong. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:51:48 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
No, you say something but there are implications behind it. Like the most common and most voiced discussion points behind adding planes out of hangars at vbases and ports is to stop attacks without having to fly over to the actual base. This is not a new topic. You playing the wounded card doesn't change that.

I was hoping you maybe had something new to add, but you're taking the stance that you're the victim here, so I'm done with you.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
No, you say something but there are implications behind it. Like the most common and most voiced discussion points behind adding planes out of hangars at vbases and ports is to stop attacks without having to fly over to the actual base. This is not a new topic. You playing the wounded card doesn't change that.

I was hoping you maybe had something new to add, but you're taking the stance that you're the victim here, so I'm done with you.

:x :aok

Playing the wounded card?  I have merely noted your penchant for making false assumptions.

Incentivize EW rides.   That's the OP's goal.  I've offered ideas that MIGHT do this.    They do not need to be accepted as a whole.   You may take your pick.

Another thought is an aircraft factory strat.   Damage to it pushes MW and LW planes back further from the front.    I'm guessing a carrot works better than a stick but...

Again, just throwing out ideas. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:52:45 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 12:51:08 PM »

Another thought is an aircraft factory strat.   Damage to it pushes MW and LW planes back further from the front.   

That's actually a bad game idea that was tried in the past in a game before your time (Air Warrior) with the Spitfire factory.  Taking out the Spitfire factory in AW would prevent players from upping a Spitfire IX for about an hour (or longer if people hunted the supply drones or took out the Supply factory) and all that resulted was the majority of the players in the arena would log off since they couldn't fly the Spitfire IX, which was probably the most popular plane in AW.  The only thing that the Spitfire factory was good for was as a griefing tool to make the other sides log off.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
That's actually a bad game idea that was tried in the past in a game before your time (Air Warrior) with the Spitfire factory.  Taking out the Spitfire factory in AW would prevent players from upping a Spitfire IX for about an hour (or longer if people hunted the supply drones or took out the Supply factory) and all that resulted was the majority of the players in the arena would log off since they couldn't fly the Spitfire IX, which was probably the most popular plane in AW.  The only thing that the Spitfire factory was good for was as a griefing tool to make the other sides log off.

I didn't say PREVENT. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 03:29:51 PM »
Where base captures are concerned and a change to that, Hitech missed an opportunity by not having a different style town object with a map room associated to the L, M, and S airfields like the Super Large Airfield has it's own large village. Or two more different 1x1 town objects and a requirement to mix them equally across the airfields on a terrain. If we are talking physical changes to the game to enhance the experience. As a 1x1 object, some poor dumb shlep :D could retrofit all of the terrains in about a month maybe two.

A history focus ride, it's a neutral thing and would not destabilize and dumb up and grief the arena like free 262 once a tour.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »
my bad I miss read his post.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Zener

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
+1 to the OP idea.  Planes still an option, just a little incentive for hangar queens.  I like the idea.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2017, 06:23:02 PM »
The achievements you can earn in game essentially do that already in that it tries to promote players to fly other planes.  It would be nice if there was some other kind of reward for the achievements like a small perk bonus for each achievement earned and a larger one for each achievement star earned.

Agree that it would be nice if there was some additional perk.  Maybe HTC ought to do a line of T-shirts or something and send one to the tour winners (and focus ride winners) ever tour. 

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 06:25:44 PM »
How about having multiple score categories posted where people compete for the best score in each ride. Would highlight people like Tongs as "#1 ki61 pilot" (who clearly doesnt care about score)

That might actually be easier than doing a score link that changes each month for the focus ride.  You could run the database log as is and just break it up differently to figure everybody's scores in every different ride possible.   Who is the stone cold killa in the Kate this month?  The Emperor wants to know. 

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
Nope that sounds like using a R.P.S. Rolling Plane Set-and HiTech said he won't use a RPS in this game. and it also sounds like you want people to play the game your or their way. I'm pretty sure I can safely say NOT go to happen

1.  Add a picture of the ride on the front page (just like a sneak peek, but linked to a history article on the ride). <--not HiTechs job to teach people the history of the aircraft in the game--player can just as easily google the info on each plane fighter or bomber an tank. when in the hanger right click on that plane and get short list of important stats. also try using the same plane that is defeating you.. if a Brewster or a A6M or zeke is on the field that's what I take up to counter the threat..

It is not rolling plane set, it is just an incentive to take up something other than the same old uber rides we see up in the MA every night.  Fly what you like at any time.

It might not be HTCs "job" to teach aircraft history, but in a game where the entire player base has shown an interest in a particular genre it would sure be smart idea.  There are plenty of xbox ww2 flying games out there where you can have all the arcade style action you want.  I would submit the players here are 1) into the more realistic flight modelling vs the xbox gameyness, and 2) if you look at the FSO turnouts much more likely to want to fly historic rides / historic missions in general. 
Frankly you can run out in the Aircraft and Vehicles forum and find plenty of lovely research that has been done by players on a wide variety of aircraft topics on things like flaps, tail gun arcs on japanese bombers, superchargers, engine variants, fuel additives, etc. etc. etc.   Obviously that indicates a bit of interest in the actual history of the rides and HTC can parlay that interest into more players - which benefits everybody. 

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »
The teaching history aspect would simply keep some players more interested. Nobody is saying force them to read it or fly those planes.