Author Topic: Is it time for a Relaxed Realism/Arcade Arena?  (Read 936 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Is it time for a Relaxed Realism/Arcade Arena?
« on: November 15, 2017, 12:23:30 AM »
just a thought, not really a wish that I would wish for

But with the postings today/tonight about the ease of locating GVs among other things, this is one way to please most...

The only downside is that this would cause a true community split, like Air Warrior had between the Full Realism VS Relaxed Realism players....

Just putting it out there

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Is it time for a Relaxed Realism/Arcade Arena?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:33:16 AM »
Hell no.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:44:57 AM »
I think having easy mode on by default will give newbies a strange impression about the game since its on by default and most likely they dont know how to disable it (is there a tutorial about flight settings?).

Simplify things! don't add anymore layers!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:31:58 AM by AAIK »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »
just a thought, not really a wish that I would wish for

But with the postings today/tonight about the ease of locating GVs among other things, this is one way to please most...

The only downside is that this would cause a true community split, like Air Warrior had between the Full Realism VS Relaxed Realism players....

Just putting it out there

It certainly worked for AW.  I doubt that many of the current people would migrate to RR, but I'll bet a lot of arcade types would find it attractive.

- oldman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »

It certainly worked for AW.  I doubt that many of the current people would migrate to RR, but I'll bet a lot of arcade types would find it attractive.

- oldman

That was my thinking as well, oldman....

AAIK - the whole idea of a Relaxed Realism (Arcade) Arena is all about simplifying things

I completely understand Krusty's reply.... I'm just thinking about how to get the newer generation of players to stay... and still keep the current players happy by not adding easy mode stuff to the existing Main Arena as we knew it before all the "HUD display" type info began showing up...

Heck, I wasted nearly 3 years Closed Alpha testing and closed beta testing "World of Planes" before they renamed it "War Thunder"..... and one of the biggest complaints I remember about why others didn't play Aces High, was because the learning curve was to steep/too hard....or they couldn't get there game pad controller to work...

Once a game sucks in the new players, they will seek out and find their way to the Main Arena, as well as seek out help in possibly learning  BFM/ACM and SA and Energy management, etc.....

I already posted that this is a wish that I'm not for,   but I'm not thinking about myself, I'm thinking about how can Aces High offer something that could potentially entice new players to join

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
Its adding another *layer* of experience to the game, and further dividing the community: How is that simpler?

Simplification would be like: Remove easy mode options/reduce number of arenas/remove eny/removed side change time (some examples).

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:48:04 AM »
If the trend continues in the direction of easy-mode, I'm not sure I will stick with it.

AH2 was great. It struck a nice balance between finding intense instant action and the more tactical, strategic aspects of offense & defense. It gave away just enough information to say "hey, something's going on over there.." and compelled one to look for it, without giving too much information away.

Now, I fear too much information is becoming readily available, which is fine for the "convenience" crowd. Patient folks, like myself..   :old: ,  well..  I think we're dying out.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
Its bad enough that the easy mode flight options are enabled by default: It will confuse newbies into thinking that the flight model is crud (probably why it got "bad" reviews from youtubers in that regard).

Simplify things! don't add anymore layers!

Please show me a review where some one said the flight model is crud because it was difficult to spin the plane, Because that is the only real difference with the stall limiter enabled.

HiTech

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »
Please show me a review where some one said the flight model is crud because it was difficult to spin the plane, Because that is the only real difference with the stall limiter enabled.

HiTech

I was unable to provide evidence to that degree: I have edited my post.

My view was mostly the impression I would of had coming to AH from a game like WT as well as the "same experience" paradigm where each player has the same level of experience as eachother and are not seperated by any options: This proposes to sustain cohesion between players.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:08:59 AM by AAIK »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »

- oldman

Did you know that AW4 was going to get rid of the multi-arenas and just go to a single main arena like WB at the time and later AH?  The plan was to implement an "EZ Mode" similar to what we have now with the stall limiter.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:58:04 PM »
No, it is not time for that, never will be.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 02:28:23 PM »
 A lot of the GV problems would go away if someone went back in on all the AH2-->AH3 converted terrains and used grass to open up the vistas inside the distance circle tool used to orient the GV spawns to the field\town\port\vBase. You wouldn't need the quadrant dar to locate GV's since it's a direct response to the trees klingon clocking ability and no terrain person other than with one or two touched up their's for exactly that issue by hand.

I opened all the terrain on Oceania between the spawns and their targets by hand with a narrow brush, no one has been complaining about the trees while spawn battles between two spawns have started up again like in AH2. It would take about 1-2 days per terrain to adjust those spaces between the spawn and target along with removing a few trees at the ends of runways with "grass" which is a tile in every tileset in the terrain editor. Since I've done it for my last two terrains, and had to visit every single field if I came up with a better thinning pattern, yes 1-2 days depending on the maximum number of feilds.

You don't have to split the community over GV's and that micro terrain, just build it for GV players to have fun and not get beaten by the terrain itself. As for everything else, this game has for ever been pulling teeth to find out how things work. Easy to access simple format HowTo instructions are what anyone really needs. The game itself is only as complicated as you don't want to put the time into getting acclimated to it. AH3 is not WT or any of the other hand holding for the lowest common denominator competitor competing for short attention spans.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zardoz

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 03:16:21 PM »
Your incessant whining just adds entertainment value to my gaming experience :cool:

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 03:52:48 PM »
No.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:41 PM »
Did you know that AW4 was going to get rid of the multi-arenas and just go to a single main arena like WB at the time and later AH?  The plan was to implement an "EZ Mode" similar to what we have now with the stall limiter.

I recall that, now that you remind me.  Seems to me that the migration away from AW had already started by then, and we all know how AW's Last Great Plan worked out.

As people here often point out, the player base demographics - mainly age, I think - have changed much since AW, and since the early days of AH.  We're not attracting, and will not attract, most of the mouse players (and those who just don't want to invest in equipment for a new game), most of the instant-action players, and most of the I-just-want-to-have-fun-I-don't-want-to-have-to-learn-how-to-fly-a-real-plane players.  Those people are now playing War Thunder.  Some of them might be attracted to a relaxed realism arena and later migrate to FR to join the rest of us.  In the meantime they would provide a new base of financial support for the game.

- oldman