Author Topic: Ways of reading skill  (Read 21803 times)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Ways of reading skill
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
2 spit pilots in this thread have been beaten in 1v1s by earlier model spits.

I'll let you guess the 2.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:42 PM »

I also feel some players fly low eny planes for a excuse they got beat.

I didn't realize my motives were so transparent!
Pies not kicks.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 01:34:33 AM »
The dive into the merge I actually don't agree with anymore...a lot of people dive in hoping to get an angle but often give up too much E in the process....great example watch Skyyr's 1v1 videos...he doesnt dive into merges...but he beat most of the sticks people would have considered good.

The only caveat being he used the Combat Trim 'exploit' which I think none of his opponents did so he ALWAYS had a slight energy advantage in the merge. The P-38 was notably a different animal for his approach.

Also in dissimilar aircraft you might have to match the dive-in to some extent depending on the initial energy state or you're giving away angles in an unwanted lead-turn.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »
The only caveat being he used the Combat Trim 'exploit' which I think none of his opponents did so he ALWAYS had a slight energy advantage in the merge. The P-38 was notably a different animal for his approach.

Also in dissimilar aircraft you might have to match the dive-in to some extent depending on the initial energy state or you're giving away angles in an unwanted lead-turn.
I dont use this combat trim exploit and his merge worked against some of the top sticks that are still active in my recent 1v1s....I don't think it's a fluke it's a legit merge tactic....that being said it's easily spotted because you don't dive into the merge.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 09:01:43 AM »
I dont use this combat trim exploit and his merge worked against some of the top sticks that are still active in my recent 1v1s....I don't think it's a fluke it's a legit merge tactic....that being said it's easily spotted because you don't dive into the merge.

It will no doubt conserve because you're not going through two entropic conversions! Assuming you can hold the defensive in the top position. I was merely reminding the other factor upon which said player depended  :)

How about some nice films to discuss Junky?  :banana:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
Combat trim exploit?  You mean manually trimming your plane, or is there something nefarious about this?   :headscratch:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 11:55:46 AM »
I dont duel much, but I will accept any 1on1 that comes along in the MA. The reasons to come low on the merge are twofold:
1. If the other guy does not match my alt it leaves me room to lead turn from below into his belly.
2. I alway value speed more than altitude (up to a limit specific to my plane). For a given total energy,  between potential and kinetic, I want my energy in cash thank you very much.  :old:
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
What Combat trim exploit?

Trimming vs holding stick in AH outputs exactly the same results.

HiTech

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 12:21:34 PM »

There was no exploit...he would come straight at you...and if you didn't turn he would HO you (and he was a got shot)...if you did turn off to avoid he has the advantage because his whole intention was to go up and get higher than you....his way he didn't have to lose any speed what so ever. From there in his 190 or LA he would just continue the same tactic over and over...when he lost that advantage he was gone

The thing he had going for him was he had a real bead on aim....he could finish a fight fast with some great aim... how he did it like others who have spectacular aim is beyond my comprehension sometimes....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:48:19 PM by SPKmes »

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 12:34:52 PM »
Combat trim exploit?  You mean manually trimming your plane, or is there something nefarious about this?   :headscratch:
People need something to excuse their suckage.  Kind of like the guy who HO's everyone then dies to a HO, then cries on 200...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 01:14:29 PM »

There was no exploit...he would come straight at you...and if you didn't turn he would HO you (and he was a got shot)...if you did turn off to avoid he has the advantage because his whole intention was to go up and get higher than you....his way he didn't have to lose any speed what so ever. From there in his 190 or LA he would just continue the same tactic over and over...when he lost that advantage he was gone

The thing he had going for him was he had a real bead on aim....he could finish a fight fast with some great aim... how he did it like others who have spectacular aim is beyond my comprehension sometimes....
I actually went to the DA with him and he didn't HO...but at the time I tried to merge by diving in and every time he was gaining an E advantage....it worked. I agree his aim was what made him able to do certain maneuvers I won't do because if I missed those shots, I would be far out of position.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2017, 01:36:25 PM »
HT, at really high speeds, the only way to have full control is to use combat trim. Otherwise you are fighting the nose going up.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
HT, at really high speeds, the only way to have full control is to use combat trim. Otherwise you are fighting the nose going up.

This is not an exploit and available to all players and happens in all planes.  They'll either try and go nose high from lift generated by the speed, or they'll compress in.  Either way, you need to use trim to help gain control back of the plane.  Real planes have trim nobs too!
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »
What Combat trim exploit?

Trimming vs holding stick in AH outputs exactly the same results.

HiTech

HiTech I have a question...

Let's say you're in an La7, or any semi-very powerful fighter really, and you're climbing straight up. As you reach the height of your climb you want to nose over to the right, against the torque. Would it be possible to do this using just the force of the prop wash on the rudder? Or would the torque overpower the rudder and pull you with it to the left?

I ask this because as it is in game now, the torque will over power the rudder every time and drag you with it to the left, even at idle throttle. Only when you turn the engine off can you use the rudder to nose over against the torque. This doesn't make much sense to me as there wouldn't be any force against the rudder with your engine off.

Skyyr would use this as an exploit, shutting your engine off at stall speed gives you a huge advantage when you want to maneuver opposite the torque. I'm not saying there should be a penalty for shutting your engine off, I'm just curious as to how accurate the slow speed torque modeling is in that regard.

Sorry if I went off topic a bit.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Krup you dont need to turn the engine off to accomplish that feat. As I remember, greebo, in his f6f used to pull that trick off all the time with the prop still running. Would catch you by suprise every time.