Author Topic: Ways of reading skill  (Read 23450 times)

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
Re: Ways of reading skill
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 03:35:13 PM »
Mechanic was a GREAT Pony driver. He was a good guy too. Needs to come back.
I know skill when I see it, but can't put a finger on what denotes it. I get beat by everyone, and once in a while, I do something right, but not often.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 04:04:09 PM »
I was just recollecting fights I have had and I saw some indicators of potential skill of my opponents based on the way they move and figured it would be an interesting topic.  :joystick:

- From my view I noticed that the better pilots were more intense and gave of a sort of wavelength or pattern of reflexes that revealed their level of focus and I could measure it against my own capability and then come to a general conclusion how the fight will unravel before it has started.

Has anyone noticed any other behaviours that reveal the potential of opponents in here?  :airplane:

Obviously, whoever is ranked #1 is the best.  :bolt:
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 04:20:33 PM »
some players have an eerie smoothness and always seem to have more energy than you think they should at any given moment.
Pies not kicks.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 05:16:44 PM by waystin2 »
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
Obviously, whoever is ranked #1 is the best.  :bolt:

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 12:17:30 AM »
For me its how aggressive they are and the timing of their maneuvers. I also look at how they merge and the way they approach me. 95% of the time I have to dodge a HO, so I know they most likely don't have the same timing as me after they miss. I typically roll one way and then the other to get them to miss the HO shot. If a player does that to avoid a HO, hes probably pretty good. If the player avoids the HO, and pulls a very hard emmilman, he probably is pretty decent. Are they getting flaps out quickly? Are they smooth in their rolls? Are they using throttle? These are very fast decisions and things to watch for to tell the relative skill level of the person you are fighting in the MA. The plane also has a big impact on what the player can get away with. I know for example, if i'm in a 109G14 and they are in a yak3, they wont be able to out roll me or out turn me no matter how good they think they are. That being said, I would fight the 109 in a yak3 assuming the player doesnt have the skill as me, as it's a very close fight. I might kill him even tho his 109 should technically out turn me. That's measuring skill and whether you think you have the skill to out turn them or not, even if your plane isn't as good.  Planes do matter, so you do have to take that into consideration when fighting the opponent.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 01:41:59 AM »
First clue is aircraft selection. LA7, Yak3, Spit16, P-51D, are often sign of a player that either is weak or marginal. When you see that unusual icon C2, P-40, KI61 and some others that you know you’re facing a potential killer.
That is true, and also works for older variants of models. I am always very careful around less popular but very capable planes like 109F/G2, La5, P38G, Spit9. They are usually flown by vetrans.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 11:06:04 AM »
The Yak3 can hang on its prop pretty good and doesn't have to worry about running out of WEP.  I'd definitely fight a 109 in the vert with that rather than attempting to turn with it.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »
everyone hates the HO, but as someone that loves to fly the Jug I will often risk the HO, especially after a water cooled foe, in a bad situation because I know that big engine in front of me can take a lot of punishment.
Todd

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 03:45:45 PM »
As I see it every red plane at merge is a vet. Not until the second merge can I tell if someone is deadly. I don't ho but many good sticks do.

For me it's easier to tell if I am at a disadvantage which is a lot of my time in the air. If a con above me is timid or trys to E fight without cutting throttle then I can take my time build E and stay safe. The deadly guys will cut throttle drop and not overshoot. Then your fk

With out player numbers like the old days more than likely you will be facing a vet. If it's me then your fk..

More you die the better you get and watch all the film you can. A solid player will have a kill to death of over 4 and kph of higher than 31 That's what I look for in the stats.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 04:06:01 PM »
If it's a decent stick in a crutch plane like a spit 16 it's probably FX1
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2017, 04:10:54 PM »
It's easier for bomber pilots: Is the enemy slowly crawling up your six, or does he takes his time to get into a proper position.  :airplane:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2017, 04:50:57 PM »
As I see it every red plane at merge is a vet. Not until the second merge can I tell if someone is deadly. I don't ho but many good sticks do.

For me it's easier to tell if I am at a disadvantage which is a lot of my time in the air. If a con above me is timid or trys to E fight without cutting throttle then I can take my time build E and stay safe. The deadly guys will cut throttle drop and not overshoot. Then your fk

With out player numbers like the old days more than likely you will be facing a vet. If it's me then your fk..

More you die the better you get and watch all the film you can. A solid player will have a kill to death of over 4 and kph of higher than 31 That's what I look for in the stats.
K/D > 3 usually means someone timid. There are exceptions but they are rare.

YMMV
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 05:27:06 PM »

4 kd and over .030 kills per hour you can't be timid. Those two shows the type of player better than all the other stats.

I also feel some players fly low eny planes for a excuse they got beat. So back on the subject I see no red flags just because it's a p40b. On the other hand if I see a 410 one player comes to mind that is active in the game.

Poop
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:29:28 PM by FX1 »

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »
some sticks are hard to figure out as they only flying in large groups on certain nights chest thumping about there abilities to pick and swarm :bolt: time for a ham and bacon samich