Author Topic: Ways of reading skill  (Read 23499 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ways of reading skill
« Reply #135 on: November 21, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »
For years in AH I've used the twisty - my gunnery has always been on the mediocre side. I've always dealt with a nose bounce/wobbly nose for fine adjustments and I've had years of messing with scaling settings etc.

:bhead
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
You can lock off the twisty on a Sidewinder. I made a tutorial once. It's relatively easy.

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2017, 12:48:23 PM »
:headscratch:

Well it's easy to take what I said out of context. Only flying one plane would limit your skill and experience in the game, and probably get you less kills and more deaths if you fly it in situations where the plane is at a weakness.  Not that there is anything wrong with that. I am just saying that it limits your understanding in the MA to only fly one plane.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2017, 01:07:19 PM »
I have a twisty stick, but I have it disabled.  I tend to be a bit inebriated when flying and tend to lean on my stick a bit which isn't very good if it kicks your rudder out.

I fly a combo Joystick & A/S/D for my rudder.  I only use very minute rudder adjustments though unless trying to bleed a ton of E.  Usually one or two quick taps, then back to S to get my angles right.

I'm not the best gunner, but it works for me.   :joystick:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
:bhead

and fwiw, the pedals aren't making the wobbles go away...   maybe lessened, but it's hard for me to tell just yet in that regard.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
Switching from Twisty to peddles was one of the best decisions ever. I tend to fly sideways with a twisty. The peddles allow for much better plane control while aiming and doing other subconscious things.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
Well it's easy to take what I said out of context. Only flying one plane would limit your skill and experience in the game, and probably get you less kills and more deaths if you fly it in situations where the plane is at a weakness.

Not true.  Just another one of your blanket statements without any facts to support it.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. I am just saying that it limits your understanding in the MA to only fly one plane.

Again, not true and yet another blanket statement by you without any supporting evidence.

From all of your posts, one would get the false assumption that you're the only one that understands the dynamics of the game. 
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2017, 01:48:19 PM »
and fwiw, the pedals aren't making the wobbles go away...   maybe lessened, but it's hard for me to tell just yet in that regard.

Thanks, man.   My nose bounce definitely won't be helped by pedals, but inadvertent stick twist would be eliminated.  That might be worth it.   I'm guessing pedals offer much better fidelity in any event. 
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »
Well it's easy to take what I said out of context.

I know, I was deliberately doing so to see how you'd react. You're not such a bad lad Violator  :salute

Thanks, man.   My nose bounce definitely won't be helped by pedals, but inadvertent stick twist would be eliminated.  That might be worth it.   I'm guessing pedals offer much better fidelity in any event.

Perhaps it's a plan-forward to start with pedals and lock off your Sidewinder's twisty?

I removed the centrespring from my CH pedals. At one point I had a superflux LED on my wall driven by a Hall Effect sensor to find the centre, but it's not needed really.

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2017, 02:01:02 PM »
Flying one ride or another doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things because ACM applies to them all the same...some just do things better then others. Flying a Spit 16, ect ect ect will make it easier to beat most of the other planes in the set but the ACM doesn't change.

People think when I say "Any ride, doesnt matter what it is" is me being cocky but nope the plane choice normally doesn't matter in most cases...pilots have to be pretty similar in skill level for the plane of choice to make a difference.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
if I kill them: they are pretty good
If they kill me: they are really good
 :banana:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2017, 02:06:56 PM »
I got rid of nose bounce by scaling the first few bars of my elevator scaling down to almost nothing, same with my rudders.  What I discovered when I tweaked it was if you need to do that, ramp up your scaling to full as soon as possible, otherwise you get bad behavior at the other end.  I had my scaling badly messed up for years which explained why I had so much trouble riding the edge of stall at low speed.  Since I changed it it's gotten much better for me, but I haven't put in the time to get really smooth with it yet.

As far as plane choice, for me it makes it a lot easier to understand other planes' capabilities by flying them versus flying against them.  YMMV.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2017, 02:14:30 PM »
Not true.  Just another one of your blanket statements without any facts to support it.

Again, not true and yet another blanket statement by you without any supporting evidence.

From all of your posts, one would get the false assumption that you're the only one that understands the dynamics of the game.

It is mostly true. If it wasn't, they would have made all the planes exactly the same. Planes were designed for the type of combat they would endure.

You should know that rolling a P38 from a defensive standpoint will be a lot more challenging than rolling a Ki84... It's pretty much common sense. A newb will have a much easier time defending in a Ki84 than a P38.

I'm just trying to point out that flying the fastest planes in the game is not always your best pick because certain situations aren't ideal for those kinds of planes.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2017, 02:30:21 PM »
Planes were designed for the type of combat they would endure.

There were also different philosophies regarding air combat. More so at the start of WW2.

Regarding defensive / offensive plane choice - to generalize there's really three large circles on the Venn diagram: TnB, BnZ and energy fighting. Some aircraft sit firmly in one only and others more in the intersections of one or more of those sets. The position therein of your and your opponent's plane and the starting point of the fight makes for an interesting and suggestive line graph. Some of those relationships make for a much easier fight than others.

Some people also fly stupid for fun or the challenge.  :D

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
I know, I was deliberately doing so to see how you'd react. You're not such a bad lad Violator  :salute

Perhaps it's a plan-forward to start with pedals and lock off your Sidewinder's twisty?

I removed the centrespring from my CH pedals. At one point I had a superflux LED on my wall driven by a Hall Effect sensor to find the centre, but it's not needed really.

Yeah.  Maybe start with pedals.   Have you rebuild my SW.
”KILLER V”
- THE DAMNED -