Author Topic: Ways of reading skill  (Read 22067 times)

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ways of reading skill
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2017, 10:32:27 PM »

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2017, 12:41:11 AM »
Well, if you have the money and you're serious about flight simming this is the way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Flight-Stick/dp/B00371R8P4

http://mfg.simundza.com/products

Is that the flight gear you use Krup? I like the baseplate of the throttle.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: November 23, 2017, 07:51:53 AM »
If you buy that throttle you can land seven kills in a P38 can’t you.

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #168 on: November 23, 2017, 10:28:27 AM »
Is that the flight gear you use Krup? I like the baseplate of the throttle.

Yeah I just don't have the pedals, I bought a nice monitor recently so I'm stuck with my modified CH's for now.

They're next on the list tho, more than worth it from what some friends have told me.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #169 on: November 23, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
I own a Thrustmaster Warthog and I do not recommend it- I rank it below the CH Fighterstick.

In my opinion there is a gap in the market for a decent stick. I have thought of buying a VKB stick but I do not consider the 'KG12' handle/grip adequate.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:41:56 AM by thrila »
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: November 23, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »
If you buy that throttle you can land seven kills in a P38 can’t you.

If I had that throttle, I'd shoot down seven P38's.   :airplane:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #171 on: November 23, 2017, 01:07:44 PM »
I own a Thrustmaster Warthog and I do not recommend it- I rank it below the CH Fighterstick.

In my opinion there is a gap in the market for a decent stick. I have thought of buying a VKB stick but I do not consider the 'KG12' handle/grip adequate.

I had a CH stick before, and I'd take my Warthog over it any day. I'm sure Joach1m would tell you the same thing... it's just a matter of preference I guess.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #172 on: November 23, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »
I had a CH stick before, and I'd take my Warthog over it any day. I'm sure Joach1m would tell you the same thing... it's just a matter of preference I guess.

I don't particularly rate the CH fighterstick either. :D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #173 on: November 23, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
thrila is alive!!!!   :banana:  :airplane:
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: November 23, 2017, 07:33:58 PM »

Agree as well- Hotas/Stick wise over time my preference will change.  CH was great for me for a long, long time, in AH for playing a lot of hours as it's very, very light and easy to move.  Once you get used to the Warthog  however, IMO it's more precise and accurate.  Then you go to the Virpil T50 and gimbals like it and the VKB Gunfighter has/will have (hopefully), and it's an even higher degree of precision.  Blade posted some stuff in Hardware doing stick tests with his VKB Black Mamba, it was pretty impressive, and the T50 is about the same for me.  I'm pretty certain the Gunfighter from VKB will be similar or better.

One issue a few may have with the TM Warthog or perhaps read about is the sticktion thing, but it shouldn't put anyone off of buying one. The "fix" for this is extremely simple, and once you break down the WH base and apply some of the various remedies and regrease/etc, it's excellent.  This is only if it's even required in the first place, I have 3 TM Warthogs and 2 Cougars, and only 1 of them, my first Warthog, has run into the sticktion issue, and it was pretty mild prior to going through the Youtube/sim forums treatments.

TM is still working on the new F18 HOTAS, should be pretty cool, and I hope they build in some forward/backward compatibility with the WH sticks/base.  VKB is working on an F14 MCG grip for the Gunfighter to go along with the Russian type stick currently offered as of Dec 1. 

Lots of options for sticks/Hotas/pedals out there.  Anyone looking for custom pedals shouldn't overlook the VKB pedals either, they are substantially less $ than the MFG (I have both and the 109 Slaws), and are all metal construction.  Much different type of motion, many including me find it more precise than the CH/MFG/Slaw type of movement, but this is personal pref obviously. 

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: November 24, 2017, 12:32:51 AM »
In my opinion there is a gap in the market for a decent stick.

What sort of features would you be looking for Thrila?

Strange that this discussion about reading skill has centred on equipment. Even though there is a glaring elephant in the room.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2017, 05:39:14 PM »
Controllers and their setup can help translate the pilots thoughts into actions but they must have that thought in the first place.  I can buy the same golf clubs as Tiger Woods but that does not mean I would be able to play like him.

With regards to skill, we all know who the good pilots are in the MA.  It is usually noticeable immediately after the merge and certainly by the time the 2nd turn is initiated.  Within the MA there are so many variables in play that whilst it is easy to identify a good skill level it is very hard to benchmark that skill against yourself.

For instance, I have always had very good fights with Flippz, my 51 against his Yak3.  I have usually had an E advantage and I work hard to be aggressive but always strive to keep that E advantage because my plane simply cannot compete in an outright turning duel with the Yak. I know he is a good pilot, can I beat him 1 on 1, same plane, co alt, co E?  I have no idea.  So, I can read his skill level I just cannot benchmark it against my own very easily.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #177 on: November 24, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
I'll add another,

if half a thread about reading skill is discussing one player in particular then you have skill.   

Guess he would have got a big kick out of this one.  Hopefully he managed to read all the posts lauding his abilities through some proxy VPN,     :devil
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:58:29 PM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: November 24, 2017, 11:51:32 PM »
Thrilla hearts Ewoks.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2017, 08:45:09 AM »
Controllers and their setup can help translate the pilots thoughts into actions but they must have that thought in the first place.  I can buy the same golf clubs as Tiger Woods but that does not mean I would be able to play like him.

With regards to skill, we all know who the good pilots are in the MA.  It is usually noticeable immediately after the merge and certainly by the time the 2nd turn is initiated.  Within the MA there are so many variables in play that whilst it is easy to identify a good skill level it is very hard to benchmark that skill against yourself.

For instance, I have always had very good fights with Flippz, my 51 against his Yak3.  I have usually had an E advantage and I work hard to be aggressive but always strive to keep that E advantage because my plane simply cannot compete in an outright turning duel with the Yak. I know he is a good pilot, can I beat him 1 on 1, same plane, co alt, co E?  I have no idea.  So, I can read his skill level I just cannot benchmark it against my own very easily.

This sums it up very well. 

:salute
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)