Author Topic: New GV dar  (Read 42530 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
Re: New GV dar
« Reply #285 on: December 04, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
I love GV dar! I can find a good GV fight now and have been using them more in AH3. Prior to gv dar i wouldnt GV as much as I had in AH1 & 2 because of difficulty finding the GV fight in AH3.  its hard in AH3 to figure out where someone is shooting at you from and extremely difficult to kill  wait and ambush guys.
I feel like the dar really only represents a scouting report anyway. 

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #286 on: December 04, 2017, 03:39:50 PM »
I got me a new video, 44 minutes of this so called "gv dar"

Wiley, who spent 25 of those 44 minutes glommed to the gv dar square, with me stuck watching his ineptitude. It took him two sorties to make the dawning conclusion that he might best affect the war elsewhere.

Tell me how I'm misunderstanding this...  You specifically state you were able to sit in a sector for 45 minutes without being spotted, even with GVDAR -- AND that even with a storch, they were still unable to find you.

If anything, being invisible still to a storch would point out the need for some sort of balance on the game, if even the scout plane designed to find GV's has a hard time even with the crutch of GVDAR.

So -- what I'm getting from your post is, you sat there for 45 minutes and still hadn't been spotted, which somehow validates your claim that GVDAR is too powerful...

Again, tell me how I misinterpreted this.   :ahand
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #287 on: December 04, 2017, 04:23:28 PM »
Tell me how I'm misunderstanding this...  You specifically state you were able to sit in a sector for 45 minutes without being spotted, even with GVDAR -- AND that even with a storch, they were still unable to find you.

If anything, being invisible still to a storch would point out the need for some sort of balance on the game, if even the scout plane designed to find GV's has a hard time even with the crutch of GVDAR.

So -- what I'm getting from your post is, you sat there for 45 minutes and still hadn't been spotted, which somehow validates your claim that GVDAR is too powerful...

Ugh...  I had a bad feeling that video was me before I actually read his post.  That was my sortie to see what all this GV dar stuff is about.  To be fair, for a fair bit of that I knew where he was.  It was a combination of getting disoriented when I'd flip to drop and looking at what angles I could/couldn't see him from.  That bomb drop was not my finest hour to be sure.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #288 on: December 04, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »

The problem is he didn't get the chance to land 16 kills after the game of "hide and seek" of 45 minutes.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #289 on: December 04, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
The problem is he didn't get the chance to land 16 kills after the game of "hide and seek" of 45 minutes.

:rofl :aok

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #290 on: December 04, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »

Again, tell me how I misinterpreted this.

During the course of the video, I get nowhere. I enter a field and immediately begin to withdraw from it. No shots fired, none taken, basically a waste of time - 44 minutes of it. I never flashed the field and only briefly flashed town. Nonetheless I was searched mercilessly and prevented from towering to continue my game elsewhere.

Looks just like B-52's bombing the jungle in Vietnam.
Perfectly viable to carpet bomb an area when a hidden enemy is entrenched there.

It was ineffectual, does not promote combat, promotes bomb****eness..tell us, in what WWII battle did Lancasters fly in formations of 3, saturating saturating active battlefields or hidden tanks?

Was anyone else clapping when the tank blew up?  Wish he would have posted video!
OMG banana brains :banana:, look at the chat buffer. The explosion is kumori, kill #16 right after StRazor, #15. You look at the time above and it is 18:26 of a 31:38 movie meaning I had to wait 13 more minutes before someone finally bombed the only tree without a crater. You don't need a movie you need SA.

My advice to you is to start making friends with us fighter pilots - it might just save your life.

Do you even fly any more? Certainly no the the MA where this discussion involves and the most recent record I could find of you or Lachender Teufeiskopf Gruppe is from a FSO bulletin from 2014. Were we even using version 3 then?

Ugh...  I had a bad feeling that video was me before I actually read his post.  That was my sortie to see what all this GV dar stuff is about.  To be fair, for a fair bit of that I knew where he was.  It was a combination of getting disoriented when I'd flip to drop and looking at what angles I could/couldn't see him from.  That bomb drop was not my finest hour to be sure.

Wiley.

To be fair? What do you mean by fair, that you were't stupid, that you actually knew where I was but were intentionally making me endure your two disorientation runs? That's your idea of fair, or whatever. My bad luck for being online when you wanted to experiment.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #291 on: December 04, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
Yes, everyone INCLUDING HiTech is out to ruin your game.  We're all in on it.  We have meetings every Saturday at 10:30 down at the local Y where we come up with new ways to make your game life miserable.   :noid

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #292 on: December 04, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
It was ineffectual, does not promote combat, promotes bomb****eness..tell us, in what WWII battle did Lancasters fly in formations of 3, saturating saturating active battlefields or hidden tanks?

The entire 9th airforce engaged in attacking any position where the Wehrmacht or Waffen SS were known to be placed as well as their direct supply lines. So no Lanks, but plenty of U.S. bombers and fighters did exactly that.

Do you even fly any more? Certainly no the the MA where this discussion involves and the most recent record I could find of you or Lachender Teufeiskopf Gruppe is from a FSO bulletin from 2014. Were we even using version 3 then?

I fly every Friday and a occasionally during the week. LTG was the FSO squad that branched out of Kommando Nowonty in 2014. We have always been KN in the MA. And there are plenty of post regarding KN/LTG. you need to read more. But then again, the exploits of a top notch fighter squad does not seem to be your style.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #293 on: December 04, 2017, 06:15:56 PM »
My bad luck for being online when you wanted to experiment.

Yup. Joys of open world gaming.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #294 on: December 04, 2017, 06:20:22 PM »
tell us, in what WWII battle did Lancasters fly in formations of 3, saturating saturating active battlefields or hidden tanks?

"Shortly before dawn on 18 July [1944, since you hadn't heard of it before], the Highland infantry in the south of the Orne bridgehead, quietly retired 0.5 mi (0.80 km) from the front line.[110] At 05:45, 1,056 Handley Page Halifax and Avro Lancaster heavy bombers flying at 3,000 ft (910 m) dropped 4,800 long tons (4,900 t) of high explosive bombs around Colombelles, the steelworks, on the positions of the 21st Panzer Division and on the village of Cagny, reducing half of it to rubble."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Goodwood#Operation_Atlantic

- oldman

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #295 on: December 04, 2017, 06:34:36 PM »

"Shortly before dawn on 18 July [1944, since you hadn't heard of it before], the Highland infantry in the south of the Orne bridgehead, quietly retired 0.5 mi (0.80 km) from the front line.[110] At 05:45, 1,056 Handley Page Halifax and Avro Lancaster heavy bombers flying at 3,000 ft (910 m) dropped 4,800 long tons (4,900 t) of high explosive bombs around Colombelles, the steelworks, on the positions of the 21st Panzer Division and on the village of Cagny, reducing half of it to rubble."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Goodwood#Operation_Atlantic

- oldman

Oh look, the Lanks got theirs too.

:aok
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #296 on: December 04, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »
You can find 98% of GVs by flying a storch at or just below tree level if they are in the 4sq miles of your base. The visual angle is what cloaks most GV's shutdown or sitting. Most players won't and for a good reason. GVers will shoot storch's because once they are found, tanks or a bomb will follow. I get tired of doing it, means I will be pilot wounded or main gunned almost every time. Not to mention the PO'd GVer often comes back with the obligatory wirble which I find waits for me to fly up really close. Then getting anyone to kill it can be pulling teeth. Even green guys want to hide and sneak and not be seen. After all, it's only the red guys who are hiding and sneaking and ruining the game.

The easiest terrain feature to find GV's with a storch is the European village complex from the Europ tileset. Just get low, tree top or lower and follow the convenient grid of roads and feilds. Still it's easier in real life to see something as large as a tank if someone hasn't dug out a hide for it and cleaned up its tread tracks that say follow me, follow me. In real life we don't have that strange morphing together of objects just outside of gun range for wirbles and main guns the graphics engine does as you get farther away. Or separated and clarified as you go close enough to be suddenly skeet shot from the air. Combine that with the cloaking the trees do at steeper angles and the combat area is full of invisible tanks.

Anyone ever noticed that sitting in a wirble under some trees that there seems to be an invisible bubble around all the leaves inside of which an airplane flying over, it's Icon disappears as you look up through the canopy? Wonder if this is working in reverse as part of the cloaking the GVs get for their Icon not displaying? Part of the time when I get low in a storch and close up, I can make out the GV, but, if there are some leaves and branches involved, the Icon never appears. Then I can loose orientation of the GV and end up placing myself back in too close for a main gun or MG skeet session. The storch is not what it used to be when it was first introduced in AH2 when it comes to seeing hiding GVs at it's max visual range. For the amount of effort to kill tanks with planes, pretty much they are nearly Icon less in AH3.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Re: realism
« Reply #297 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »
Except that "fair shake" for GV's is what HTC is moving towards, not away from.

The system has been imbalanced since before you even started playing.

Suck it up.

:rofl Devil your sense of "fair shake" is warped. :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #298 on: December 04, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking as well. It’s a shame that some people can’t see the value of this system and instead of being constructive they pretty much stomp their feet and threaten or actually cancel their sub, which in a way is ridiculous but hey, it’s your money and if you don’t find value in this game anymore, there’s the door. On a side note, no system is perfect for every single
Player and the first few iterations of “new” features will undergo several changes until it is dialed in.

I've tried to be constructive, but it hasn't been received well. The strategy aspect of the game is being sacrificed on the altar of purposeless action. Or so, it seems, at least, to me, and the GV dar is just the latest and most egregious example.

I'm out. Have fun, guys. I'll miss a lot of you.

<S> Havermyr

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: realism
« Reply #299 on: December 04, 2017, 10:46:34 PM »
:rofl Devil your sense of "fair shake" is warped. :D

Assuming that you started playing at the same point that your BBS account was made, you never even experience pre-Storch AH with the 6K for everything icons.

Before the new GV icons rules came in, there was much more use of anti-GV sorties by planes. Now, they did not disappear immediately after the change, but the usage rate decreased over time as more and more pilots determined this to be a waste of time - especially after guys figured how easy it was to ambush a plane with a Wirbelwind. Another big change that no one has mentioned was when the Il-2 lost use of F3 mode. After this they became much more rare to see.

Another thing you never experienced was pre-commander view GV'ing.

You had to drive from the driver's seat, shoot from the gunner's seat, and could only look around from the top MG. You had to be good at moving around the tank to be successful at anything other than pure spawn camping.

Point is, you have no idea how much harder it used to be or how every change that affected GV's over the last 7 years until the GV dar has only made GVing easier.

Now that HTC has made an attempt to correct the imbalance in GV interactions with aircraft, you all have come here crying like Chicken Little and claiming that there is some bias against GV'ing. The track record says otherwise.

Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com