Author Topic: New GV dar  (Read 42523 times)

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
Re: New GV dar
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2017, 06:54:27 PM »
This change really doesn't hurt GVin, it just changes how we play in GVs.
Very true. The GV dar square injects more careful driving that just blundering into a 1 or 2 gv ambush. The square instead of the pie wedge doesn't give the same level of ease in finding your  GV. A certain amount of change in tactics isn't hard to handle to use the dar to an advantage in both offense and defense. It certainly helps in town or base assaults to have more than one GV from different directions to make the GV dar not near as friendly to use by defenders. ie: having a dar block at multiple compass points around a town. GVs will hide from aircraft whether under trees, between buildings, under bridges as to not get sent back to the tower, same as in AH1 and AH2. That is the nature of ground combat. Any assault or ambush lives by avoiding detection until IT is ready to initiate contact.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:22:30 PM by redcatcherb412 »
Ground Pounders ...

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
You have to look at from a business stand point. HTC loses you but gains 5 players who join because they can find a fight better, they win.

On top of that, you are complaining because you cant play the same way you have right along..... welcome to my world!. The game has changed and evolved in the years it has been here. Either you adapt..... and many will, or you leave. Good luck to you, but those of us who stay may see a better game play evolve out of this change.

I agree with you on both of your points. Maybe my earlier "big picture question," instead of "Does the GV dar add or detract from the fun of playing AH?" should have been "Will a GV dar help retain more new customers than it drives existing ones away?" (That simplifies it a bit because presumably a customer who has been around many years is more valuable to HT than one who has just signed on and might be gone next month, but I can't think of a better way to phrase this new, improved question that doesn't get overly complicated).

As for adaptation, you're right that we players have a choice. Most players of AH seem to be over 50, and if one could give an adjective that describes that demographic, "adaptable" wouldn't be the first one to come to mind. It certainly doesn't fit me.
So many of the problems people have with AH would seemingly be solved if we had significantly higher numbers. (I wouldn't need to try to sneak a base, for example, if I knew I could have four or five people help me take it instead of having to beg on country for half an hour and maybe finally get one or two). So I get it that HT needs to try different things in order to get people--especially younger people--to play and stay. I just don't see how the GV dar can be a means to that end, and it sucks that its implementation takes a huge chunk of fun out of the game for me and the others who have also complained about it.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2017, 09:36:04 PM »
Personally I've only seen a few players complain about it, a very small percentage of players really.

I have been here since tour 21 (MDJOE and Fugitive) and back then we did a lot of base capture missions or furballed. Basically that was your choices. Eventually the furballs disappeared. YES I know you stumble on one now and then, but in the old days they would last for hours and the base capture guys would have to work around them.

The game changed, only the Bish hold on to the "horde" mentality these days tho the other teams can get one going, but back then squads had two wings because they flew with that many guys that the limits were too small and the game was all about grabbing bases faster than the other hordes to get the win.

Furballs have dried up, numbers have dropped, crater is no longer the tank map that it was, times change and we must adapt to what the "new" game has become. On the surface these changes may suck, but if it brings in more players that stay longer it could take the game back to new heights.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #393 on: December 10, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
As for adaptation, you're right that we players have a choice. Most players of AH seem to be over 50, and if one could give an adjective that describes that demographic, "adaptable" wouldn't be the first one to come to mind. It certainly doesn't fit me.

Ah.  So you're a fellow adult.  Good to know, I don't have to worry about tenderness.

As others have said, there is undoubtedly a new way to get around the new DAR settings.  If you don't want to experiment to find it, fine, go stomp off like someone who is not an adult.  Otherwise, why don't you use your wisdom and experience to figure out the new system?

- oldman

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2017, 09:52:37 PM »
Another solution might to have a midwar arena with terrains where folks can up a rocket M-4 and mow down a base like Grant took Richmond, sans GV dar.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2017, 10:00:35 PM »
Personally I've only seen a few players complain about it, a very small percentage of players really.

I have been here since tour 21 (MDJOE and Fugitive) and back then we did a lot of base capture missions or furballed. Basically that was your choices. Eventually the furballs disappeared. YES I know you stumble on one now and then, but in the old days they would last for hours and the base capture guys would have to work around them.

The game changed, only the Bish hold on to the "horde" mentality these days tho the other teams can get one going, but back then squads had two wings because they flew with that many guys that the limits were too small and the game was all about grabbing bases faster than the other hordes to get the win.

Furballs have dried up, numbers have dropped, crater is no longer the tank map that it was, times change and we must adapt to what the "new" game has become. On the surface these changes may suck, but if it brings in more players that stay longer it could take the game back to new heights.

Really??? I don't know any gv'er in this game that likes the change, so I don't know where you got that absurd idea.  :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2017, 10:02:25 PM »
Really??? I don't know any gv'er in this game that likes the change, so I don't know where you got that absurd idea.  :headscratch:

Im sorry are we talking about GVers that want to fight, or those that only want to hide and spawn camp or grab bases unseen?

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #397 on: December 10, 2017, 11:59:11 PM »
Why is this conversation still going? At this point we are all talking in circles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #398 on: December 11, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
Ended with AHII.

Maybe on a large scale, but I still get killed by campers pretty regularly.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #400 on: December 11, 2017, 10:02:13 AM »
Oh tankers and bombers throughout the land,
Don't criticize what you can't understand,
Your hordes and your whiners are beyond your command,
Your old game is rapidly ageing!
Go play a new one if you can't lend a hand,
For the game it is a changing!

:bolt:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline molybdenum

• Nickel Member
« Reply #401 on: December 11, 2017, 07:20:41 PM »

Ah.  So you're a fellow adult.  Good to know, I don't have to worry about tenderness.

As others have said, there is undoubtedly a new way to get around the new DAR settings.  If you don't want to experiment to find it, fine, go stomp off like someone who is not an adult.  Otherwise, why don't you use your wisdom and experience to figure out the new system?

- oldman

I'm sorry if my posts have given the impression that I'm pouting or being childish or whatever. It isn't that, I don't think. It really boils down to a very simple question for me: is AH3 worth my time and $ now that the things I most enjoyed doing are no longer doable? (Not just being a sneaky GV, or recruiting sneaky GVs; I've always been primarily a bomber pilot and AH3 is less friendly to buffs than AH2).

I think I can see a "new way to get around the new DAR settings" (as you put it) but it would require coordination and teammates. It was hard enough to find willing and available people to help me try to take a base before the change. Now it would be even harder. It would very likely be far more frustrating than fun.

My subscription doesn't time out until the beginning of next year. I'll probably pop back in in the last few days and experiment a little, but I don't have much hope. Ah, well....

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #402 on: December 11, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
I'm sorry if my posts have given the impression that I'm pouting or being childish or whatever.

And I regret that I over-reacted.  Sorry.  Hey, figuring out new things is supposed to be fun!

- oldman

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
« Reply #403 on: December 11, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »
This "way around it" of which you speak isn't really a way around it.  It's basically a delay-the-finder tactic.  You'll eventually be found, especially if the guy in the air as someone on the ground, but the tactic delays the un-savvy finder's gotcha moment out as far as the GV'er has patience for it.  It will frustrate the hay out of lone bomb****s.

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #404 on: December 12, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
Oh tankers and bombers throughout the land,
Don't criticize what you can't understand,
Your hordes and your whiners are beyond your command,
Your old game is rapidly ageing!
Go play a new one if you can't lend a hand,
For the game it is a changing!

:bolt:

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼