Author Topic: Notes from an Oculus Rift installation and other comments  (Read 7763 times)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Notes from an Oculus Rift installation and other comments
« on: November 28, 2017, 05:02:38 PM »
While this is still fresh, I thought I'd share so others might know what to expect if installing without a knowledgeable helper around. It might save you some grief.
I went with the Rift because of the comparisons to other PC based HMDs on these boards. And yes, my early trials prove it's worth the gruesome torture of the installation process. I've compiled these notes to smooth the road for other AH users. I'll save my comments and PC hardware/software setup for last.

I'd already updated my Nvidia drivers so was able to skip that step.

The HARDWARE setup:
After you open the package, you'll find two AA batteries. It's logical they go into the Oculus Touch controllers. You will not receive an Oculus remote in the package, meaning you must use both Sensors and the Touch controllers to setup the software. However, there are absolutely no instructions inside the package, only some health and safety warnings and their website is no better. Apparently the Touch is too new.
The battery compartment on the Touch is under a magnetic hatch similar to those connecting the screens and keyboards on newer 2-in-1 laptops. There is little indication these hatches are there and they are quite hard to slide open on my units. They slide off the end of the handle. Upon closer inspection, there is a small shiny bit of a triangle pointer near the top of the hatch.

The two Sensor stands must be at least five feet apart, or just beyond the edges of a standard office desk, six feet is suggested on the website. If not, you'll have a devil of a time in the initial software setup. I've set mine about chest high when sitting in my office chair, and aimed them at my head when standing or sitting about six feet back from the sensors. The distance back may have been due to setting the sensors too close together at 5' apart. This would probably not be good for a first person shooter but I haven't tried one.

If you don't have a free HDMI port on your video card, you'll need to free one up by getting an adapter. I plugged the Rift into the GPU HDMI and used a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter ($15 Insignia at Best Buy) to run my monitor.

My ASUS motherboard has two USB 3.0 and several USB 2.0 ports available. I plugged the headset into the GPU's HDMI port and a free USB 3.0 port. Then, it turned out that the sensors worked when plugged into the USB 2.0 ports. That's working okay in AH for now, but I'll probably buy a USB 3.0 PCIe card later.

The SOFTWARE:
When first finding the Guides page, click on the image of the Rift.
On the next page, below the health and safety links, which you should read at least once, the link to the installer, Oculus Setup is available. It's a small 4MB installer program that says it's checking your hardware. It will download the 1.7GB Oculus software and begin the installation.
There is additional information on the site's pages, and hopefully it will be updated in the future.

Tip:
The installer insists on registering each user; your name and email, then a new user name and password of at least 8 characters. It would be good to create a list of possible user names and a password while the download runs.

Warning:
Early on during the installation, it asks to allow Oculus to automatically download and install software on your machine. I declined, and my installation hangs with no way back. For me, this meant cancelling the installation and the installer promptly deleted the installation package wasting the first two hour download.
This authorization step is repeated two more times.
I might have been able to end task and restarted, but I'd never be sure of a clean installation.

At some point during the installation, it asks the path for an Oculus Apps (games) folder. I chose a different hard drive instead of C:\ as my SSD is old and running out of room.

Eventually, we start the Oculus calibration steps. This is where the sensor setup takes place. Many reviews on YouTube ran into the same problems of space that I did. It seems common to do whatever is necessary to make the sensors pass the installers tests and then rely on the Oculus and game software to do the rest. This was confirmed when I finally got into the Oculus Home and another routine to setup centering of the view. They are working fine in Aces High even though the setup software suggests they are too close.

USING THE OCULUS WITH ACES HIGH:
If you do a search for Aces High from the Oculus Home environment, it will find it and you can sit through another download of the game into your Oculus Apps folder. I did that the first time I ran AH but I don't run it this way now as my previously installed settings, skins, terrains, terrsets and terrain source files would all need to be recreated and or downloaded.

Instead, from the Windows desktop, launch the Oculus software if it's not running and find the settings icon along the top window. It looks like a geared wheel. In the links list along the left, use 'General' and then turn on "Allow apps that have not been reviewed by Oculus to run on Rift."
Now when you launch Aces High DX11*, it will run from your existing installation and show up when your return to the Oculus Home environment. It will not be needed in the Oculus Apps folder now.

Tip:
Each time Aces High starts, on your Windows desktop, it will ask if you want to use your Oculus before the game launches. You can't see this from inside your headset so if you went to Oculus Home to launch it, you can be sitting there waiting for something to happen. If you launch AH first, it will launch your Oculus.

Tip:
Skuzzy says we'll need to setup our controllers again when using VR. Somehow, I haven't needed to do this to fly on my setup, but it's obvious I need to remap for things like the clipboard toggle, vox keys, gear etc.

Tip:
From the Oculus Home, there is a hidden settings menu that's toggled with a button on the Touch. It has the Oculus icon printed on it.

I've probably forgotten some things, but hopefully not anything important. Enjoy.

Comments:
Pros:
It's wonderful in Aces High. Situational awareness and tracking is phenomenal. I won't fly a fighter without it. For GVing, it may turn out to be a different story, but I want to give it a few more hours testing to evaluate.

Cons:
The screen resolution is no better then my low expectations. There is no built-in mic so using my Logitech headset on top of the Rift is very heavy and the built-in audio phones are in the way. I hope to be able to remove them with the 'screw driver' included in the package. I don't like the way it takes over my computer, including Firefox when Oculus is running at the same time.

Conclusion:
By the standards of the past, this is great hardware, and a game changer in AH. Almost worth the $350 sale price, so I won't be returning it.
The screen resolution is my biggest complaint. The AH terrain and trees are washed out and spotting GVs moving through the trees is difficult. It was difficult enough for me on my 27" monitor.
At the Oculus convention in San Jose, Zuckerberg reportedly said they were moving to mobile based VR. That made no sense to me at the time, but I think it means moving to a system like their Samsung Gear VR device. It would make sense to piggyback upon the resolution of a $1000 cellphone. They can still make money from the Oculus Store and software licenses, and keep driving users toward Facebook accounts.
I will not be surprised if another manufacture offers a much better PC based headset at retail within a year.

My Hardware:
i7 2600k Sandybridge
ASUS P8P67LE motherboard with PCIe 2.0
8GB ram
Nvidia GTX 1070
Windows 7 service pack 1, 64 bit.*

*Required for the Oculus
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: Notes from an Oculus Rift installation and other comments
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
yes there is a built in mic. If you go into windows sounds and look under recording devices you should see Rift Microphone.

You also might find it's easier to plug all your stuff into something like:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UB5JZ5744

I'll try to re-read your review tomorrow i'm totally burned out today so that's all i can think of.

Cons:
 There is no built-in mic so using my Logitech headset on top of the Rift is very heavy
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 06:51:34 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:27:59 PM »
Wow, timely post for me thanks Easyscor!    :aok

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 04:19:05 AM »
Thanks Kanth, I'll look for that. It's just another thing not obvious and if it's mentioned on their site, I didn't see it.

Glad you found it useful DaddyAce.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »
Great write-up Easy.  It matches my experience with setup. 

I am getting a better view of GV's from the air with the Oculus than with my monitor set up.  Small benefit, because the sightings I call out are still hard to see by teammates.

I've missed my monitors a few times while getting the Rift sorted out, but I don't reckon that will last beyond another week or so.

Thanks again for taking the time to document this.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
Okay!
After a full laundry list of trying things to get my audio working, I unplugged the headset's USB cable from my 3.0 port, and started trying the 2.0 ports. Guess what, after trying all but one USB 2.0 port it worked in that last 2.0 port. That's nuts! Now all the USB cables are plugged into USB 2.0 ports and working. That's not supposed to work. Next, I'll see if the Sensors work in my two 3.0 USB ports, but that'll be after some sleep. I still don't know if the mic works.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 01:14:15 PM »
I saw AND commented(asked) this on another post...Could your issue be WINDOWS7? I didnt think it supported VR and needed Win10?  :headscratch:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
I saw AND commented(asked) this on another post...Could your issue be WINDOWS7? I didnt think it supported VR and needed Win10?  :headscratch:

The minimum specs for Oculus Rift  requires Win7 64 bit, which I have. Win10 is developing built-in VR/AR support for other products.
Without the Rift's 3 USB cables, I have only 2 USB devices plugged in, an old Belkin hub powering my CH setup and a wireless Logitech headset.

your mileage may vary
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
Was answered on the other thread lol. I looked it up too, it ws just nagging me that you were having problems getting set up in VR. Cant think and recall info at same time anymore :old:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 06:19:22 AM »
Okay!
After a full laundry list of trying things to get my audio working, I unplugged the headset's USB cable from my 3.0 port, and started trying the 2.0 ports. Guess what, after trying all but one USB 2.0 port it worked in that last 2.0 port. That's nuts! Now all the USB cables are plugged into USB 2.0 ports and working. That's not supposed to work. Next, I'll see if the Sensors work in my two 3.0 USB ports, but that'll be after some sleep. I still don't know if the mic works.

Actually, that sound perfectly plausible.  You hit the right combination of ports vs hubs to prevent power saturation of any given USB hub in the computer.

Personally, if I were doing VR, I would get an externally powered USB hub and use it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 09:01:23 AM »
Actually, that sound perfectly plausible.  You hit the right combination of ports vs hubs to prevent power saturation of any given USB hub in the computer.

Personally, if I were doing VR, I would get an externally powered USB hub and use it.

Wouldn't something like this be better than an external hub?

Or better to plug powered hubs into?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZEA2S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 08:19:07 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZEA2S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

About the same.  The PCI-e board has one hub with 4 ports, just like most external USB hubs do.  The data rates are insignificant as long as you are plugging the external hub into a USB 3.0 port.

If you have a free PCI-e internal slot and an extra SATA power cable from your power supply, it would be a good solution as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »

Hi FLS,

The thing to watch out for w\ that type of USB\PCI-E adapter card is the width of the case expansion slots vs the width of the USB slots on the card.....this can cause spiking due to grounding issues if the outer edges of the male USB plugs come into contact w\ the case (which is highly likely to happen). Been there, done that. I would recommend to use a card w\ the USB slots running parallel w\ the case expansion slots to eliminate this issue.

Otherwise, as Skuzzy said.............

Another option to consider concerning USB is to use a rear USB expansion slot adapter that plugs into the internal USB headers located on the bottom of most mobos as from my testing these internal USB headers are usually better regulated power-wise vs the USB cluster headers. The trick then is to use a quality wired USB rear expansion slot adapter w\ parallel USB slots to make them available. Most mobos still provide 2 internal USB 2.0 headers and at least 1 USB 3.0 internal header w\ some offering 2. These are the internal USB headers that most mobo front case USB headers are plugged into.

Here is a picture provided below of my Team Red box w\ 1 of these 4-slot USB adapters plugged into the 2 USB 2.0 internal headers on my mobo in which I'm running my CH USB HOTAS thru.........

FYI.

Hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
Final conclusions after ten days.

After moving the Oculus USB cables to the USB 2 port and finding the sound working, I went back into the windows device manager, and turned on the Oculus microphone. When not set to default, it came up. It was a similar procedure I'd used for the earphones in the headset.

It's very exciting hardware for games, but the low resolution kills it as an alternative for desktop apps including Office or viewing Movies. Once installed, the Oculus driver is a resource hog and I haven't found any way to disable it when not in a gaming session. This is not something you want running on a business machine or one you use for more then games, web browsing and email. Perhaps a faster PC would hide most of the software's activities.

PROS: Very immersive in games, it really is a game changer. I haven't enjoyed playing games this much in a decade or two. Impressive software features; such as the user boundary mesh for safety. It provides heightened situational awareness; your view pans naturally and it feels much quicker then struggling with a mouse stick view. You will get much more exercise using this then simply sitting at your desk chair playing games on a monitor. I see higher frame rates usually at 89fps, occasionally dropping to ~45 with everything maxed except environment on my rig.

CONS: Atrocious hardware setup without decent instructions. Clunky user interface for any new user, such as in finding the correct path for redrawing the safety boundary, it isn't obvious and requires re-running the already working sensor setup. Tip: Don't draw your safety boundary to the desk edge and surrounding walls, allow at least 6 or 8 inches, more would be better, and move you desk if necessary. I had wall paint on the Touch after one session in a 1st person shooter, it also knocked the battery loose.
The driver software is very intrusive, constantly phoning home every 2 or 3 minutes with huge bandwidth spikes of perhaps 25 to 30% on my DSL service.
That it's a resource hog is worth mentioning again for my older PC. It isn't unusual to see the "Not responding" notice in the window bar of normal desktop applications like Excel, Word, GIMP and the Terrain Editor when NOT using the Oculus.
It has low resolution by half what it needs to be really useful, making it for games only at this iteration. I think the company has misjudged VRs potential going forward. With better resolution and software, I have no doubt this could have replaced desktop monitors.

My Hardware:
i7 2600k Sandybridge
ASUS P8P67LE motherboard with PCIe 2.0
8GB ram
Nvidia GTX 1070
Windows 7 service pack 1, 64 bit.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001