Author Topic: frame rates and freezes  (Read 5119 times)

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
frame rates and freezes
« on: December 04, 2017, 04:44:05 PM »
when ever I fly in to a group of planes my frames crash and I start getting freezes.  I have all my sliders slid down and all the post lighting and everything off I can check.  I have updated all drivers and softwares I can find.  I have a pretty strong system ie I7 chip 1080 gtx card 700 watt power unit asus gaming mother board 16 gb of rip saw ram. 
I have followed the settings listed in here and doesn't change anything.  if I put up a dx diag box will that help?  posting screen shots of settings?  I don't think my frames should drop like they do and my head set freezing for like 3 min (maybe not that long), but long enough at 5k I hit the ground. any info greatly appreciated

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: frame rates and freezes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:00:00 PM »
For freezes I'd disable

Options\Preferences\VR
check Disable Auto VR Mode Swap
check Disable VR Mirror

That got rid of the regular freezes that were happening about every 10 minutes.
Although, I did get one freeze in FSO recently that was about 4-5 seconds and i thought i was gonna burn in
that seems to have been an anomaly.

for the framerate issue, i have a strong machine and a 1080ti graphics card and my FR drops down to like 14 if i'm using the steam
or the directX11 versions of aces high and try to fight in melee arena.  Using the Aces High Oculus version through Oculus Lobby i haven't
had that extreme of a problem but i have hardly flown in the last couple of months.

You should be able to run pretty much everything enabled with the graphics card you have.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:25:07 PM »
I agree with Kanth. On your system I'd expect a smooth ride with a steady 89-90 fps and with all the eye candy turned on.

I turn everything on and see a steady 45-89 fps all the time. I've noticed that if I launch from my Aces High III DX11 shortcut, it runs better then it did from the Oculus lobby version.
i7-2600k running a GTX1070 on an ASUS mb w/ 8GB ram. She's old but still works fine.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:02:02 AM »
If running Windows 10, it could be updates causing it.  Windows 10 will do updates while playing games.  It has frustrated more than one gamer.

It could also be the latest Creator Update causing problems.  I have a long list of issues with that update.  Most people are rolling back to get rid of it due to all the issues it has been causing.

Some systems seem okay with it, and others, not so much.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:03:44 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 06:42:58 AM »
kanth: thanks will try that, also got those wall mounts hoping to install them this weekend

easy score:last night I turned everything back up and that doent seem to make a difference on the frame drops, which leads me to skuzzy.

skuzzy:  I just did the creators update (by accident).  also it also seems to differ as some nights it is fine like last night it was fine and only had a few fr drops in any fight I had.  the night before it was to the point I disabled it so that makes since it could be updates running which stinks as I want to control that. 

I may look into rolling back my self as I have not read good reviews for gaming on it. 

Offline terrydew

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
If running Windows 10, it could be updates causing it.  Windows 10 will do updates while playing games.  It has frustrated more than one gamer.

It could also be the latest Creator Update causing problems.  I have a long list of issues with that update.  Most people are rolling back to get rid of it due to all the issues it has been causing.

Some systems seem okay with it, and others, not so much.

I have had this issue both before and after the Windows update. Moving the sliders doesn’t solve it. AH needs to be optimized particularly in VR to make full use of the cirrent hardware and drivers. I have a very strong machine.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
That is not helpful at all.

How about this.  If it happens again, then bring up the Windows resource monitor and see what resources are being hammered on?  That is assuming you can.  If you cannot bring it up in time, then that means Windows itself was too busy to respond.  The game would not be doing that as Windows can preempt the game, or any other application, in nano-seconds.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
First verify that if Disable mode swap is checked.

2nd if you changed it restart AH.

Post results.

HiTech

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
skuzzy: I will try that and see if I can tell

hitec: I am going to try and disable that tonight and will update

Offline MADe

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 03:28:33 PM »
nividias AH dx 11 profile, turn off everything, everything v sync included.

game video settings, use a smaller screen res 1200x800, 1K or 2K text settings, disable v sync.
graphic settings, disable all, especially post lighting, run the terrain detail sliders down a bit.

No graphic settings help the clarity, they disrupt performance. I also uninstalled the tray tool, not worth the perf hit. Once in game I turn off all other displays.

the other thing was to use a frame cap at 93f/s. No point churning the card. The rift is 90Hz.

so far crowds no bother.

luck
ASROCK X99 Taichi, INTEL i7 6850@4.5GHz, GIGABYTE GTX 1070G1, Kingston HyperX 3000MHz DDR4, OCZ 256GB RD400, Seasonic 750W PSU, SONY BRAVIA 48W600B, Windows 10 Pro /64

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »
flippz (and anyone else) for your frame rate issues here's what seems to be working for me:

turn off your vsync (when you first launch aces high before clicking online arenas go to video settings) and then go into the game and note your frame rate. vsync makes it cap out at 60, this is just so you can see a difference. then exit the game

Then:
type "settings" into your search bar in windows (the start bar) and go into "Gaming" shut everything off that is on, especially Game DVR.
then close out of that.

Go back into Aces High and go into the exact same place same terrain and field and check your frame rate with vsync off.

mine went from 34 to over 600...
that's not a typo.

then turn your vsync back on.

So give that a shot. The problem appears to be microsoft trying to build gaming support into their OS and they are screwing everything up.
There are also some xbox services i'm gonna disable under services...(not related to the frame rate issue just what are those on for???!!!)

reference:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/

Also, in that link they mention Diag Track, that is actually the services called "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" i just disabled and stopped that one too. That's also up to you. The DVR one made a big diff for me.

ALSO I'd go back and check these settings from time to time if FR get low, i'm betting another windows update will just turn it all back on.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:04:58 PM by Kanth »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 05:49:43 AM »
Good information Kanth.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:38:40 PM »
thanks kanth I will try that tonight and report back

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 12:01:33 PM »
flippz (and anyone else) for your frame rate issues here's what seems to be working for me:

turn off your vsync (when you first launch aces high before clicking online arenas go to video settings) and then go into the game and note your frame rate. vsync makes it cap out at 60, this is just so you can see a difference. then exit the game

Then:
type "settings" into your search bar in windows (the start bar) and go into "Gaming" shut everything off that is on, especially Game DVR.
then close out of that.

Go back into Aces High and go into the exact same place same terrain and field and check your frame rate with vsync off.

mine went from 34 to over 600...
that's not a typo.

then turn your vsync back on.

So give that a shot. The problem appears to be microsoft trying to build gaming support into their OS and they are screwing everything up.
There are also some xbox services i'm gonna disable under services...(not related to the frame rate issue just what are those on for???!!!)

reference:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/

Also, in that link they mention Diag Track, that is actually the services called "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" i just disabled and stopped that one too. That's also up to you. The DVR one made a big diff for me.

ALSO I'd go back and check these settings from time to time if FR get low, i'm betting another windows update will just turn it all back on.

After going through this sequence, what’s your average frame rate?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
Just a quick note.  I was able to select my oculus as the display device  instead of my monitor and now my frame rate doesn’t cap at 60 it caps a 90 which is the refresh rate of the rift, with vsync on, which is how you should be playing.

So to answer your question, it averages at 90 due to the rift refresh rate.  If I do the staged mission with all of the bombers in it, it can drop down to the 20s when they are all firing.

So in video settings for the game make sure your rift is selected as the display device and not one of your monitors.