Author Topic: Shade Accounts  (Read 18056 times)

Offline 19zac

• Zinc Member
      • 19th Bombardment Group
Re: Shade Accounts
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2018, 09:36:06 PM »

I have been in battles that lasted hours over a single base. I remember one full afternoon we had a guy from England driving our CV, maybe "Lynx" not sure, but he drove the heck out of that CV and we captured only 2 bases while fighting off the attacks to the CV. More than 4 hours of fun had by everyone there. Fighters, bombers, GVers, PT boat drivers, 50-60 people playing and fighting in one area.

The type of gameplay you're talking about (like the squad on squad stuff) was more possible when there were many squads on at a time with enough people to steamroll a base. Nowadays, people are more selfish, and I think that is because of the lack of numbers. They arent flying in groups, so they jump in a werb and shoot down low flying enemies in a fight over a base, or jump in a lanc and dive bomb a GV.

We gotta get more people into Aces High. Ive made my argument before as to how we can go about doing this, but we could have alot of those positive aspects of the game back if we had more people. It wouldn't be as worthwhile to do all these cheapy selfish methods of getting kills if there were more people, which in turn, i believe, would create a more Rooks vs. Bish vs. Knights game, like the old days, instead of everyone for themselves. Then my squad can actually feel like we accomplished something for the team again when we level the strats, instead of just doing it for perkies, which is what it has turned into.

I might have had too much wine before typing this out. Im not disagreeing with you Fugitive. The game has changed. But only because its tough to get 150 people online anymore.
~CRAZY EYEBALLS~
"BZacc"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2018, 11:07:52 PM »
The type of gameplay you're talking about (like the squad on squad stuff) was more possible when there were many squads on at a time with enough people to steamroll a base. Nowadays, people are more selfish, and I think that is because of the lack of numbers. They arent flying in groups, so they jump in a werb and shoot down low flying enemies in a fight over a base, or jump in a lanc and dive bomb a GV.

We gotta get more people into Aces High. Ive made my argument before as to how we can go about doing this, but we could have alot of those positive aspects of the game back if we had more people. It wouldn't be as worthwhile to do all these cheapy selfish methods of getting kills if there were more people, which in turn, i believe, would create a more Rooks vs. Bish vs. Knights game, like the old days, instead of everyone for themselves. Then my squad can actually feel like we accomplished something for the team again when we level the strats, instead of just doing it for perkies, which is what it has turned into.

I might have had too much wine before typing this out. Im not disagreeing with you Fugitive. The game has changed. But only because its tough to get 150 people online anymore.
+ 100   That was my point as well..I havent been around as long as Fugitive or many others, so its hard to disagree with his issues. The game changed and you cant really expect the lower numbers to NOT impact game play. Human nature dictates some of these changes. I hate seeing these VETERAN players peeved, or bitter and negative about a place I really love being a part of! But I do understand :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2018, 07:54:31 AM »

I agree there is a numbers issue. With twice the numbers, those doing this lame type of game play would double, but you would also have twice the number of players playing the game the way it was meant to be played and there would be less complaints because it would be easier to join in with the type of play a person prefers.

+ 100   That was my point as well..I havent been around as long as Fugitive or many others, so its hard to disagree with his issues. The game changed and you cant really expect the lower numbers to NOT impact game play. Human nature dictates some of these changes. I hate seeing these VETERAN players peeved, or bitter and negative about a place I really love being a part of! But I do understand :salute

I dont look at it as being "peeved, or bitter and negative". I do get frustrated seeing this lame game play take over the game. I KNOW what these players are missing, I KNOW these players are going to get bored and leave the game, and I KNOW these players could be "guided" away from that type of play to a more "advantageous to the game" type of play.

At one point in the game history the NOE was king. 19 out of 20 missions were NOE. Mega squads would would bonce from base to base grabbing one after the other in quick succession (The 444th Air Mafia had a "Lightning Strike" mission, NOE with 5-7 guys plus a goon, our quickest capture was 9 minutes from Dar circle to capture.) It was a "wack-a-mole" game chasing flashing bases, no fights/combat. HTC changed the dar height and made NOEs a bit harder .... but not impossible, to run and the fights/combat was back because players couldnt hide/avoid the fights/combat any more.

This is what we need again, and adjustment to bring the fights/combat BACK to the game. The GV dar is a step in this direction. It makes it easier to find a fight.

I think there are two things this game needs, a bit of structure, and a way to get the newbs thru the steep learning curve.

One thing I have thought about was HTC hiring some players. There are already a number of players that put in a ton of time that are retired due to age or medical reasons and they love this game. Hire them to be IN the game as trainers to get the newbs started. Hire them to play "General" in the arena to run missions, real missions, not "Grab a hvy fighter and meet on the NW runway!". Give them a free subscription, and a few bucks an hour to run a 2-4 hour shift where they do nothing but push the positives of the game. A dozen guys switching off shifts could keep the action moving in the game, and a guy active with training 24/7. These guys are here already, use them. Give them some beer money and let them help build a better community IN the game.

Hitech said that most player dont come back after that first session in the game. If there was a player at the door calling out on the radio every 15 minutes that a quick "10 minute Starter session" starting to get new players started, how many more would be likely to stay? Some would stick it out longer get the basic info, other would stay long knowing and using the help they now know is available.

Something has to be done. With the numbers on the ranking system dropping as they are, we are still losing more players than we are getting/keeping.     

Offline Bong40

• Copper Member
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »
Bong40 may be lurking in the shadows....  :joystick:

See ya in the Un-Friendly skies  :airplane:

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2018, 08:03:26 AM »
I agree with The Fugative that there should be a better way to come into contact with new players. I for one don't need beer money. But i need to know who is new without shooting them down first and than contacting them without they feel insulted by me.

DutchVII
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 08:05:34 AM by TWCAxew »
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2018, 08:08:11 AM »
I agree with The Fugative that there should be a better way to come into contact with new players. I for one don't need beer money. But i need to know who is new without shooting them down first and than contacting them without they feel insulted by me.

DutchVII

The beer money would be nothing more than to tie you too your shift for 2-4 hours. Doing nothing but being a general running missions, or a trainer doing nothing but 10 get started classes over and over. Basically you have to put this stuff IN the newbs face or they wont search it out and use it.

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2018, 08:24:40 AM »
The beer money would be nothing more than to tie you too your shift for 2-4 hours. Doing nothing but being a general running missions, or a trainer doing nothing but 10 get started classes over and over. Basically you have to put this stuff IN the newbs face or they wont search it out and use it.

I was just saying i am willing to even do that without a payment. So i consider myself one of those ppl you spoke of that where already around. I would like to see an influx of new players and i am willing to hold there hand. And we have the same problem, we don't know who they are until its to late.

I think i once wished for a sort of a lobby where vets and new players could come in contact easy.

When steam was introduced i helped about 13 players to setup there controls and showed them basic flying.
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2018, 08:40:45 AM »
I wonder how many players we would have if all the players who don't play because there aren't enough players, were playing.   :D

As for why newbs don't stick around, only HTC knows the real story.  But, I've seen several sitting in the spawn hangar in a P-51 firing the guns. They might even get off the ground and auger as soon as they disable auto-takeoff.  15 minutes later they are gone.   I've tried to contact them by VOX and text and gotten no reply.    Not sure how a trainer would help them get started if they can't (or won't) communicate.

Maybe a new player could be automatically started in an AI arena, with an air start, "easymode" controls, and drones that are easy kills -- quick and easy success.  Make it clear that this is just an introduction to the game and give them access to the training videos, scheduling a training session, and the MA.  Tag their icon so (friendly) players know they are new.  Or, something....
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »
I've been flying under my current handle for about 3 years now (gerblntz), but got accused of being a shade the other day after shooting a few people down in my 109G6.  I had a good laugh out of it when the guy got on 200 wanting to know just who this guy is.  So I politely informed him I was wil3ur.   :noid
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2018, 02:48:48 PM »
I've been flying under my current handle for about 3 years now (gerblntz), but got accused of being a shade the other day after shooting a few people down in my 109G6.  I had a good laugh out of it when the guy got on 200 wanting to know just who this guy is.  So I politely informed him I was wil3ur.   :noid
NUTTS! Yup, I gave up trying to figure out your callsign about 2 years ago and asked ya :rofl Shade....must have had shadows enabled :x You do realize...if you were on more, this would never happen :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2018, 04:09:13 PM »
You do realize...if you were on more, this would never happen :devil

It's amazing what the company of the fairer sex does to your gaming time.    :joystick:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline 19zac

• Zinc Member
      • 19th Bombardment Group
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »

At one point in the game history the NOE was king. 19 out of 20 missions were NOE. Mega squads would would bonce from base to base grabbing one after the other in quick succession (The 444th Air Mafia had a "Lightning Strike" mission, NOE with 5-7 guys plus a goon, our quickest capture was 9 minutes from Dar circle to capture.) It was a "wack-a-mole" game chasing flashing bases, no fights/combat. HTC changed the dar height and made NOEs a bit harder .... but not impossible, to run and the fights/combat was back because players couldnt hide/avoid the fights/combat any more.

Man it was easy in the day with 7 guys to run NOE and grab several bases in a night. I used to do it with the Spartan Warriors all the time... Im trying to start a squad again with my buddy from the SWs and grab some newbies and see if we cant train them from the bottom up, and grab some bases like we used to. I think the best way to get guys to stay is to make them feel like they are part of a community. Thats what made me stay in the game, and I loved it for years before taking a break. Right now, the only time ill fly for any substantial amount of time is when Im with people i enjoying flying with. I want to make that happen for the new guys too. If everyone set out to do this, the squads will grow, and I think the game would change again for the better.
~CRAZY EYEBALLS~
"BZacc"

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2018, 09:58:36 PM »
Man it was easy in the day with 7 guys to run NOE and grab several bases in a night. I used to do it with the Spartan Warriors all the time... Im trying to start a squad again with my buddy from the SWs and grab some newbies and see if we cant train them from the bottom up, and grab some bases like we used to. I think the best way to get guys to stay is to make them feel like they are part of a community. Thats what made me stay in the game, and I loved it for years before taking a break. Right now, the only time ill fly for any substantial amount of time is when Im with people i enjoying flying with. I want to make that happen for the new guys too. If everyone set out to do this, the squads will grow, and I think the game would change again for the better.

This +1  :aok

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2018, 11:43:18 PM »
 :aok I cant remember the last time I saw an NOE! :confused:  Its like everyone forgot how to take bases even :uhoh Had a few missions yesterday that worked...but took some extra lifting/time to get er done :headscratch:

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2018, 10:09:18 AM »
:aok I cant remember the last time I saw an NOE! :confused:  Its like everyone forgot how to take bases even :uhoh Had a few missions yesterday that worked...but took some extra lifting/time to get er done :headscratch:

It was much more fun / easier with the 200 ft level for dar ring visibility. Once they changed that to 50 ft it's damned near impossible. Ever tried to hold a set of Lanc's @50ft or less? Those big wings generate a lot of lift!