Author Topic: Ring video doorbell  (Read 671 times)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Ring video doorbell
« on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:50 PM »
Anyone have one of these?  If so, how did you get it to work?  Mine is wired in, but never powers up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
Re: Ring video doorbell
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 03:12:26 PM »
Anyone have one of these?  If so, how did you get it to work?  Mine is wired in, but never powers up.

I had thought about trying one but decided against it when I found out there was
no mechanism for local recording  :headscratch:
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:33:23 PM »
No

And I am drunk :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 04:34:50 PM »
PM Sent
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 06:02:52 AM »
Would not touch one with a ten foot pole, and that goes with for IoT enabled device.

It is a security hole looking for a place to happen.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »
We sell a bunch of them every week at Home Depot.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:50:18 PM »
They’re all over my neighborhood now.   I feel like i live in some Orwellian State. 

It’s crazy.   I want to enjoy the dark (what’s left of it here) and the neighborhood is starting to look like Stalag Luft 3 with all the searchlight-level security lights popping up.   Gonna’ have to surround my yard with juniper, red tip, and oleander to get a little tranquility. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »
My doors are usually open or unlocked.  No need for something like that.
Home security is not an issue here...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 08:44:55 PM »
Well it is here. I’ve had over $1500 worth of equipment stolen out of my pickup parked 6 feet from my front door. Until I can make enough money to build a house somewhere where this is not an issue, I would prefer not to kill somebody. 

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 10:20:03 PM »
Well it is here. I’ve had over $1500 worth of equipment stolen out of my pickup parked 6 feet from my front door. Until I can make enough money to build a house somewhere where this is not an issue, I would prefer not to kill somebody. 

Wow! This discussion escalated a bit.
I don't reckon I got no reason to kill nobody. (my best Billy Bob Thornton)

Edit:  Don't leave your valuables in your truck...  Preventive maintenance and all.

Coogan
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 10:22:25 PM by 100Coogn »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 08:19:24 AM »
We are the last house on the right, before the pavement ends, and you reach the steel US Forest Service gate..

With our backs to the wilderness, we have a lot of 4 legged type of intruders..Coyotes, Foxes, Black Bears, Bobcats, and even a Cougar once in a while.. Really common around here! So we have NV cams and remote lights on the house and out buildings.. Hard wired on the house, wireless on the out buildings.. Deer and Elk are always triggering the lights, we added the cams, so we didn't have to jump up and go investigate every time.. Gets seriously aggravating being woken from a sound sleep for a Possum Raccoon or Deer.. Or our own cats! The auto lights do a fair job or keeping the big predators away..
"They come at night, MOSTLY!" ;)

Our house is far back from the road, and we have a 6ft cedar fence in front and 1/2 way up both sides, with 6 ft wire horse fence making up the rest.. The back side is open to the wilderness, we have considered fencing it, but our property reaches out into the woods and steep terrain.. Too much work and I'm gettin too old to haul the heavy materials up and down by hand, so we haven't done it.. Some of our neighbors are fully fenced, but the wildlife gets thru or over anyway.. Doesn't seem to make much difference, so why bother..

In front we have a deep drainage ditch and a belt of trees/brush that block us from the road, about 20yds or so.. 2x 16ft steel gates on the driveways, so there is no direct access or view of the house from the roadway.. We have 2 wireless bell buttons and cams at the gates, so we can see who is there.. Keep radios in our vehicles, so we can call ahead, open the gate before we get there, drive right in.. Otherwise, we have to stop, open, drive thru, relock the gate.. A major pain in the azz, but power gates are a lot of work and expense.. That would be major Batman cool, but just not worth it for us..

Biggest problem we have, is with services.. Power, Cable, and DELIVERIES.. Power company forced us to take that damn smartmeter, so they could check our power usage remotely.. (I don't like signals being emitted from my home, that I have no control of!) And UPS and Fedex, tend to refuse to drive to the gate and push the bell button, they want to leave our oversized items at the mailbox by the road..  :mad: Just last Oct, Fedex left a set of brand new 37x13.50" mud tires next to the road.. I was keeping an eye on the tracking, but the delivery notice was delayed, so they sat there for hours.. Luckily, my neighbors aren't thieves..

We love our isolation, and security.. It is kind of a hobby of mine!
But it can be a real pain sometimes..

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 08:50:31 AM »
My neighbors just put locks on their house doors. They left it open for years. "If someone wants to break in and steal stuff, no locks will save me from buying a new door or windows."

Their kids are supposed to go to the other neightbors house after school, but they would raid the cookie jar at home.

They intalled locks to prevent their own kids from going into their house and getting into the sweets.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 09:31:53 AM »

Call customer service.  They are very responsive, will actively work with you to solve the problem, and send you a new one if yours turns out to be defective.  I’ve got a wired one that stayed in night mode.  When tech support and I couldn’t get it to resolve, they sent a new one at no cost within a few days.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 10:20:49 AM »
The customer service lady said it needed 20 amps to work. I told her 20 amps is enough to jump start a car.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
The customer service lady said it needed 20 amps to work. I told her 20 amps is enough to jump start a car.

20 Amps? That can't be...  :rofl
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll