Author Topic: Is 4GB of RAM Enough  (Read 12461 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: Is 4GB of RAM Enough
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
Could I step up the CPU from what's in it?   Even a small boost may be worth the cost.  Otherwise I could just replace the entire mainboard.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 is said to be compatible with this board and BIOS.

https://www.ebay.com/p/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-3-4GHz-Quad-Core-HDZ965FBK4DGM-Processor/79634429
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:12:20 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 03:30:17 PM »
Could I step up the CPU from what's in it?   Even a small boost may be worth the cost.  Otherwise I could just replace the entire mainboard.

https://www.ebay.com/p/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-965-3-4GHz-Quad-Core-HDZ965FBK4DGM-Processor/79634429

Vraciu, it is not worth it to upgrade your CPU, even though you would be going from a 3.0 GHz dual-core CPU to a 3.4 GHz quad-core CPU, you will not gain hardly any boost at all.....you will still be using the same limitation of 4 GB system ram....

The best you can do with your current system is clean up and tweak your Windows 7 OS, make sure that you are not causing yourself any conflict with multiple audio drivers enabled

Disable the Nvidia Audio driver on your Video card, if you are not using it since you have onboard integrated sound...and if you possibly can try to use a 3.5mm analog mic and 3.5mm adapter/plug speakers or headphones..... This will free up resources/processes by not using the USB audio.....

I'll send you a pm later when I get home, with some ideas for picking a MB/CPU/Memory, that you can use the rest of your existing system with....along with some other options

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
AAlK, I'm assuming you didn't mean to quote my post and direct your "side advice" towards me,

but actually meant to post your side advice for the AH community....

I would recommend anyone who is unfamiliar with the pagefile and how it works to leave it alone and let Windows maintain it!

If you want to learn how to clean up your Windows OS and tweak it for better performance, do your homework and research studying on what items do what, etc....

Something like that.

Dont touch the page file people!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »
Vraciu, it is not worth it to upgrade your CPU, even though you would be going from a 3.0 GHz dual-core CPU to a 3.4 GHz quad-core CPU, you will not gain hardly any boost at all.....you will still be using the same limitation of 4 GB system ram....

The best you can do with your current system is clean up and tweak your Windows 7 OS, make sure that you are not causing yourself any conflict with multiple audio drivers enabled

Disable the Nvidia Audio driver on your Video card, if you are not using it since you have onboard integrated sound...and if you possibly can try to use a 3.5mm analog mic and 3.5mm adapter/plug speakers or headphones..... This will free up resources/processes by not using the USB audio.....

I'll send you a pm later when I get home, with some ideas for picking a MB/CPU/Memory, that you can use the rest of your existing system with....along with some other options

Done.  Thanks.  (Would it be better to disable the onboard and go with the NVidea or is it a wash?)

I will look at a whole new MB and RAM then.  That sounds like the right move.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 04:29:52 PM »

Hi Vraciu,

Just asking..........

When you say you're maxed out on mem, do you mean that your current mobo's total memory module capacity is maxed out at 4Gb?

If this is so then I would suggest to just gather your funds and pick up a CPU, mobo & mem combo as a minimum to get you up to speed. Doesn't need to be the latest, greatest stuff that's out currently, just a setup that has a 4-core CPU at minimum, mobo that can accept the CPU and more than 4Gb mem and is dual channel compliant (most will accept at least 8Gb-16Gb) @ DDR3 1600 (the sweet spot) and the mem modules (2 x 4Gb mem modules minimum for dual channel operation). Either Intel or AMD will suffice. You can find some good cheap deals on some still very good and powerful equipment.................

If your existing mobo can accept more mem capacity >4Gb (8Gb would be a good place to land at a minimum) then I would suggest to up the mem to 8Gb then look at the CPU upgrade you've listed as Win 7 can use the 2 extra CPU cores as well as any other apps to perform better. Lowest cost option............

As w\ any computer upgrade, 1st make sure that you have ample PSU power capacity from your existing PSU to handle any upgrades or plan to include a PSU upgrade along w\ the rest.

To test your box to see if it is making excessive page outs from system mem to virtual mem (using the page file) you can set up the Win 7 Performance Monitor to monitor this aspect of your box, then minimize it and run the game w\ it running in the background then check the results.......this will show you if your box is actually writing data from system mem to the page file while playing the game and how much it is doing it (shown in %). Just because Windows shows that your page file usage is that high, it may not be actually using that much of it while the game is actually running. With this said, the 4Gb amount of system mem you have currently onboard will most likely show thru the Performance Monitor that your box is actually paging out data to the page file on your HDD\SSD while running the game............ How much page out data traffic is going on will be the question as it takes CPU cycles\resources to do this which will take away from the CPU cycles needed to run the game..........

This is not the Win 7 Resource Monitor that is found in the Task Manager, this monitor is found thru the Control Panel, System and Security, Administrative Tools and can be set up to monitor just about any aspect of your computer's operation so it is a good tool for us consumers to use to TS computer performance issues yourself.

Hope this can help you out.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 04:32:09 PM »
Vraciu,

I’m curious, when you are playing how much video memory are you using?

You may have already stated this and I have just overlooked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
Pudgie: My motherboard won't run more than 4GB based on what I am reading about it on Lenovo's site.   That's why I was thinking of taking the leap to something that will handle more--unless there is a BIOS update I am unaware of.

My PSU is a pretty big one since I upgraded it to be certain my 1060 would have enough.

Will take a look at the Resource Monitor.   :salute

Ciaphas: Video Memory is around 698MB up to 758MB or so on a 3GB card.  FPS varies from 51 to 60 even just sitting in the tower.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 05:11:14 PM »
The system seems to use two identical 1TB HDDs, drive C looks like the originally installed drive which may have a hidden recovery partition.
For a long time I have never seen one using B as drive letter for a HDD, this was previously used for (limited to?) Floppy drives.

I would not even try to use a Phenom II X4 965 in this OEM system as its a 140/125W CPU vs the original 65W CPU. Unlikely to work.

With two HDDs available it's often best for performance to place the swap-/pagefile on the non-OS drive, specifying Min/Max size as the same value (1024 should be sufficient, if not disable, reboot, then increase to 2048). Min/Max at same size is required to have one big file instead of multiple fragments all over the HDD. Regardless where the swapfile is located on, it alway has an impact on performance, it's best placed on a SSD or replaced by more RAM.

The Lenovo H215 computer system seems to be based on an AMD760 chipset motherboard with two DDR3 RAM slots. It should be possible to use 2x 4 GiB memory sticks, 2x 8 GiB may/should work too ut will be overkill.

@ TequilaChaser: Windoze handles all memory (physical and emulation) in a virtual memory system, what one knows as pagefile or swapfile is the memory emulation on a physical drive. The pagefile section in dxdiag reports the whole virtual memory system, depeding on system setting is either only physical or physical + emulation via swapfile(s).

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
I use B: for "Backup" -- been doing that for a decade or more.  It only runs when I copy and paste my files over (documents, skins, etc.).  I try to minimize the wear on the bearings just in case C: goes kablooey.

No recovery partition on C: as this is an "upgrade" from Windows 8 back to Windows 7--fresh install.

Swap file location is a good idea.

So....why does Lenovo say it can only handle 4GB of RAM?  What am I missing?   https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-h215-0893-athlon-ii-x2-215-2-7-ghz-series/specs/

I mentioned that CPU because I read somewhere that it worked without problems as a drop-in replacement.  I will have to do more thorough research on that one I guess.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:22:18 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »
Vraciu

You have the H215 model Lenovo correct?  (oem# 08931DU)

You have (2) DIMM slots that can hold a Max of (2) 2 GB DIMMs

Your system most likely came originally with a 180 watt PSU (made by Lite-On)...you must have upgraded it when you upgraded your GPU to that Nvidia 1060 3 GB graphics card

I suggest you upgrade your MB/CPU/Memory and depending on what MB you decide on, you may need a larger PC case,  that Lenovo H215 model case is very small

No need to even talk about pagefiles and swapfiles and their locations to be put in this thread

I just know that with what your DXDIAG report was showing, that there might be a good chance of finding and fixing your recently developed micro-stutters..... Not sure why trying to help you got hijacked on some pagefiles this/that rant

If I can be of any more help, let me know

PM me for my number, I will take time to help walk you through cleaning up and tweaking your Windows 7 OS, if you want me to

Hope this is helpful

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 05:44:03 PM »
Their are several options for the Lenovo H215 model

Most common chipsets was North Bridge: AMD 780G and SB 700

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 05:49:42 PM »
@ TequilaChaser: Windoze handles all memory (physical and emulation) in a virtual memory system, what one knows as pagefile or swapfile is the memory emulation on a physical drive. The pagefile section in dxdiag reports the whole virtual memory system, depeding on system setting is either only physical or physical + emulation via swapfile(s).

You gave me a chuckle, much appreciated, cheers

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 06:01:33 PM »
If that is what you think, then why does Windows OSes use the hard drive (or give an individual) the choice to either let Windows maintain the pagefile, or let the individual have the option to use no pagefile or assign a specific Hard Drive or specific partition and set the pagefile to a specific area as well as specified size to the Hard Drive/partition of choice?

Just curious

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory - by Mark Russinovich

So...
Ideal pagefile size = maximum total commit charge - RAM
If value is negative, set pagefile size to whatever is the size of your configured crash dump

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »
Vraciu

You have the H215 model Lenovo correct?  (oem# 08931DU)

You have (2) DIMM slots that can hold a Max of (2) 2 GB DIMMs

Your system most likely came originally with a 180 watt PSU (made by Lite-On)...you must have upgraded it when you upgraded your GPU to that Nvidia 1060 3 GB graphics card

I suggest you upgrade your MB/CPU/Memory and depending on what MB you decide on, you may need a larger PC case,  that Lenovo H215 model case is very small

No need to even talk about pagefiles and swapfiles and their locations to be put in this thread

I just know that with what your DXDIAG report was showing, that there might be a good chance of finding and fixing your recently developed micro-stutters..... Not sure why trying to help you got hijacked on some pagefiles this/that rant

If I can be of any more help, let me know

PM me for my number, I will take time to help walk you through cleaning up and tweaking your Windows 7 OS, if you want me to

Hope this is helpful

TC

Correct, with upgraded PS.   I keep reading "Max Supported RAM: 4GB" for the 215's motherboard.    I also read that more RAM isn't going to help me "because games are designed to run on 3GB" or some such.

I don't mind spending some money, I just don't need to go terribly overboard.  The only demanding thing I do on this computer is play AH3.  In fact, if I didn't play AH3 I would be Linux-only, something even my ancient computers handle pretty well.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 07:55:54 PM »
I don't know if this helps but I went and worked with the in-game graphics options...  The biggest impact on the microfreezes is GROUND DETAIL RANGE.   With the range low everything is smooth.   As I move it toward the mid-range it starts to happen again.   Does this tell us anything?
”KILLER V”
The Damned