Author Topic: Cannon tank busting  (Read 695 times)

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
Cannon tank busting
« on: January 30, 2018, 04:20:06 AM »
Are there any guides or tactics that people have found successful with the P-39 or Yak-9T's 37mm cannon?  Years ago I used to tear tanks up with both planes, only the T-34 was immune to me back then.  Now I cant even hurt the M4/75.  I had one attacking our strat constantly yesterday and fired about 150 rounds at the tank over the course of 5 trips.  Everything from top down, straight side, straight rear, to 45 degrees into sides/rear, etc.  I couldnt find a location that would hurt the Sherman.  I figured the Sherman would be an easy kill for the 37mm.  I figure low from the rear is probably the best chance of penetrating, but flying low also puts you at risk of taking a main round to the face.

I assume the P-39 loadout is 100% HE, does the Yak-9T alternate HE/AP?
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Cannon tank busting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:26:55 AM »
I assume the P-39 loadout is 100% HE, does the Yak-9T alternate HE/AP?

Both planes are shooting HE only.
You can also see the difference between the Yak's and the Il-2 37mm ammo when testing for splash damage vs ack guns: With the Yak-T (HE) the rounds just have to land nearby to kill the gun, with the IL-2 (AP) you have to achieve a direct hit.

There are three tank buster planes with AP in game, the Il-2, the Ju-87G and the Hurricane IID. The B-25H shoots HE, but 75mm is large enough of a calibre to still being able to smash many tanks. With the Yak-T, your best bet is to concentrate on vehicles with none or thin top armor.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:47:35 AM »
I think I found my Yak-9T glory days. 
Playing as Ninja250 back in October of 2009.  151 kills in it but only 27 of those were vehicles.
I'll have to give the Yak another try.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 05:55:34 AM by haggerty »
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 08:36:29 AM »
The Me410's BK-5 50 mm will make a mess of things, too.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 05:25:54 PM »
Yak and P39 have always been a bit special.  I found usually I could get an engine case smoking, but not a kill on a GV.  Every once in a while a turret out.  Best bet is as close to 90 degrees down as possible and hit the top of the turret or engine compartment and hope for some smoke.

Tracking them could work too...
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
I used the Yak-t to specifically hunt Hetzers (Jagdpanzer 38) in the old Crater. They have only 8mm of armor on top.
However, these days they have become exceedingly rare, it's all well armored T34s now, supplemented by M4(75) with rockets for destroying towns & factories.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman