Author Topic: Mediterranean Tile Set Testing and Topo Testing. III  (Read 3533 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Mediterranean Tile Set Testing and Topo Testing. III
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
The corners where you have to transition two mountain ranges are a royal bite to look like they just happened to be that way. I've just adhered to a very old saying from the dawn of painting art on rocks.

Look Mom what I just pulled out of my whatsis...... :O

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »
Love the point where I can paint it sandstone so I can look at how it displays on the CBM. Hmmmmmmm.....guess I should do all those canyons then create the ridges and runoffs for all the watersheds. Building those canyons is like hand washing venetian blinds in the bathtub. Those tiny 1" ones that just have miles of little slats that get tangled up in the cords.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 07:06:26 PM »
Canyons, you got to love them and they take forever.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 02:52:40 PM »
Back to stacking cardboard cutouts and connecting dots to lines.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2018, 09:06:38 PM »
And that's it for the day.....

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 02:56:20 PM »
Sometimes the lighting in the terrain editor is such that you have to throw a little lipstick on the puppy to see if it's a stinker. Scale versus perception in the terrain editor is a cruel mistress. On the left where the canyon cuts down through the shelf those unfinished mesas sit on, the bottom of the cut is at 1000ft and the top of the shelf is at 5000ft. To a player flying next to that 4000ft shelf in the game it will look like the side of Mt Everest. In the terrain editor it looks too small and no way can that be 4000ft. That is why you create a 1:1 blueprint with your topographical scale pre determined at all locations on the map. Then you force yourself to work with the limitations of the polygon mesh polygon size.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2018, 05:10:22 PM »
That puppy was a cute little thing after all. It's this pig I have to put a perm on and texture it up for painting.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 05:35:28 PM »
You reach a point where everything looks the same but, often when you fly over terrain like this, it all looks monotonously the same. Building has it's own special essence.

Two more canyon segments to go and then the strat area. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee........................ ......

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 12:11:00 AM »
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the boarder completed, now I can finish up Country-3.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 12:31:53 PM »
It's been 5 months since I designed the task group combat pond and I realized I couldn't remember how I setup the ranges between feilds surrounding the pond. This is in terms of the field of fire and max range for shore battery. I've been so fixated on building and painting topography I lost track of some of my technical design. Usually when I get back to installing and adjusting that aspect of the game, if I don't remember or, my notes in the blue print stage are sketchy. I muddle around until I can see what I was thinking by the setup itself.

Did you know you can set down map rooms anywhere in any number and only save them, then in the circles setup for the CBM window choose map rooms as the focus and set a ring radius that the map room or other game object will be the center of that ring? That is a measuring tool intergal to the terrain editor and how you set the distances between feilds.

As you can see in the screen shot, I've set the radii for 18miles which is the max range for the 8in gun in the shore battery. The feilds themselves are 22miles from the tiny center island in the pond. And I can see my gun arc will not allow dropping rounds on the field to either side. I'll worry about the ports later, looks like they may just miss if I place a shore battery behind the port by eyeballing it from the screen shot.

Five months to create the topography, a month or so to drop in all the fields, build all the mini tank combat terrain and who knows, I still have to setup the first instance of the new supply path system along with use the river path in none AI supply mode to replace some of those rivers I manually cut in. And that means bridges....Weeeeeeeeeeeeee... ..................

That tiny island sits in the max range blind spot on purpose so you can't hide a BB in there. Those 6 rings just miss by the 3mile segment touches land buffer. Whoda thunk it.... :O

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 03:25:32 PM »
What son of a naughty named dork came up with this topography................... . :bhead

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
Yes Mable, sometimes I still skip the lines and dots and just slop it in to fill a spot and sculpt it along the way. Now I'll use the dots and lines running out of the nose of those slopped in blobs. I'll just extend the mesa steps and blend everything artfully..... :O

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 06:23:05 PM »
Stack a little cardboard, pull a few lines, what a difference that makes. It's  always kind of neat pulling 3D shapes up out of 2D base lines.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2018, 10:23:35 PM »

That tiny island sits in the max range blind spot on purpose so you can't hide a BB in there. Those 6 rings just miss by the 3mile segment touches land buffer. Whoda thunk it.... :O

(Image removed from quote.)

:D :salute :cheers:

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
About 5 months to the day and the topography is finished. Next will be all the fields and strats and all the things that go along with those things..................

bustr - POTW 1st Wing